“Almost a 4”

Ranked #106 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Chesterfield, MI
“Almost a 4”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I enjoy the Marriott Courtyard hotels because I know what to expect when I stay there: a comfy bed with nice pillows with room to work. The only thing that made me give this hotel an average rating rather than a "Very Good" rating was the Internet connection. I know that sounds petty, but let me explain....

I stayed for business. I was in Atlanta for training. Since I support servers and networks for a living, I need solid remote connectivity. I did not get that here. The connection was slow and sometimes flaky.

On the plus side, even though the towels were a little scratchy, they were plentiful. I really liked the King room that I had (Room 212 on an outside corner of the hotel). It had LOTS of space to spread out all of my class materials and set up my laptop and not have to disrupt it. The housekeeping staff was friendly and accomodating. The front desk was very good about wake up calls and recommending restaurants and other things in the area. They were very friendly to just chat with also. They really made me feel welcome in a city foreign to me.

I was a little bit frustrated that there was no card that listed the TV channels, but they have pen and paper by the bed....doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out THAT solution.

One BIG item for me is that they had working plugs next to the bed side table that were easy to access. I need a CPAP mask to keep me breathing when I sleep, and it gets really frustrating when there are not enough working outlets, or I have to call the desk to hunt down an externsion cord. This was not an issue here. There was plenty of outlets and right where I needed them.

(Also keep in mind that unless you get some kind of a special, you WILL be paying for breakfast)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Western part
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel is well located, has covered free parking and has comfortable rooms with the standard nice beds and a good desk.
There was a refrigerator in my room which was a nice touch.
Housekeeping was done well and there was nothing wrong with the bathroom. Good water pressure, lots of counter space, etc.

Breakfast is what I expect is the standard of all the Courtyard by Marriott's now. The breakfast staff was reasonably friendly.

Now for the issues: There is no self serve guest laundry. Unlike the experience of a previous reviewer, it does not seem to be standard practice to take you to a "sister property". This would tie up a lot of time anyway. It used to be that all of the American CY inns had a guest laundry. That this one does not is unhelpful. Especially since more people carry on nowadays, a laundry is more useful.

I know that it is common to complain about the internet. However, this place takes the cake. Not only is it unbelievably slow, but it also doesn't reach everywhere it should. Maybe they should make doorknob mounted laptop holders so you can work and be hooked up to the net. Sadly, if you do hook up, it will remind you of the dial up days. It is that slow.

I found the front desk staff to be very superficial and not sincere at all. This was very much emphasized when comparing it with a subsequent hotel, where they were sincere.

If all Courtyard hotels were this way, I would definitely never stay at one ever again.

Room Tip: If you just need old fashioned sleep, this hotel is fine. Even facing the road, it is quiet enough...
Bremen, Georgia
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have stayed at this property on multiple occasions and have had a good experience each time. It's convenient to shopping (there is a large mall across the street within walking distance), many nice restaurants, some within walking distance. The staff is friendly and accommodating. On one occasion I traveled in on my motorcycle and needed to launder some items. While they didn't have a guest laundry one of their sister properties did and they offered to shuttle me over to use those. The rooms are nicely appointed and have comfortable beds. Parking is free and when I ride in on my motorcycle I particularly enjoy the advantage of the covered parking garage. A very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have the most windows.
Illinois
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is by far the largest Courtyard I have ever stayed at. I think its 9 floors high. The lobby is completely remodeled in the new corporate look which i think is too european...but its nice! The people working the lobby breakfast in the morning were awesome! Parking here is as convenient as it can be, but its not convenient..its part of a large shared garage with an office complex. If you park on the lower level, you have to take an elevator up to the Lobby floor and then a separate elevator to your room. The health club here is one of the nicer ones I have seen at Courtyard...Free weights, multiple treadmills and weight lifting machines...I agree with one of the other reviewers though...there are no "wipes" for cleaning the machines...yuck...they have to fix this. The room was decent...clean, well maintained...what I would expect. The location is very good. The cumberland mall is across the street and its a huge area. There are mulitple good restaurants in the immediate area...not any I would recommend walking to though..very very busy traffic around the hotel. There is a Teds Montana Grill, PF Changs, Tilted Kilt...lots of choices.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Clean,nice and practical room. i Stayed there for 3 nights, i was attending a wedding near by. housekeeping was great, on point. the staff seem pretty friendly too. They have a shuttle bus which is very convenient, which i took to go to the mall (extra charge roundtrip) and to the gas station (free). The location is perfect!!! in the heart of Cumberland, very close to the mall and restaurants. I stayed there back in september 2012 and they were doing some remodeling outside heotel so it was a little extrange. but over all i had a good stay although i was only there for a couple of hours each day to sleep!!! oh, The cafe area was clean but very pricey.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sunny B
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Nice rooms. Housekeeping was respectful of the DND sign. Front desk people were helpful and the shuttle was pretty fast. They could use a bar or restaurant. Comfortable beds and nice towels. The bathroom wasn't super clean in the corners of the bathtub, but it didn't seem dirty.

• Stayed December 2012
Alma, GA
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently traveled to the area for a conference at the Renaissance Waverly Hotel. Originally I had reservations at the Waverly, but when they messed up my reservation, I had to scramble to find a place to stay. The Courtyard took me in and is just down the street. Very friendly staff and clean rooms. It is difficult to figure out the entrance and parking at first, but once you see how it works it is not too bad. I was very impressed with my stay and would come back again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Hampton Inn Atlanta - Cumberland Mall / NW
Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta
Residence Inn Atlanta Cumberland/Galleria
Homewood Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Cumberland / Galleria
Hyatt Place Atlanta/Cobb Galleria
Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Cumberland Mall

Been to Courtyard Atlanta Cumberland/Galleria? Share your experiences!