“Decent hotel, don't expect 5-star quality”

TownePlace Suites Atlanta Northlake
Ranked #118 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed June 1, 2012

This Townplace is set up like others. There is no reception desk like most hotels have - it basically looks like an office. Do not expect a full breakfast and you won't be disappointed. There is only a continental breakfast with no real place to sit. Inconvenient if you are in a hurry but no big deal.
My room is a 1 bedroom suite with TONS of space! There is a full kitchen with a mini oven, full size fridge, toaster, coffee maker, microwave, dishwasher. There is a large desk area if you need to work. 2 tv's - 1 in living room, 1 in bedroom.
Is the furniture and carpet a bit dated? Sure. But it's clean. Yes, the front desk area is separated from the main part of the hotel, but again, it is normal with Townplace Suites.
The one real drawback is a lack of wi-fi. There is free internet but you need an ethernet cable (I think that's what it's called). I didn't have one (who brings that in the age of wireless?) Regardless, the front desk was able to provide one to me. Internet works fine.
This hotel is fine. I didn't expect 5-star level and I'm not disappointed. I expected a clean hotel with friendly, courteous staff and that's just what I got,

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank cynthia z

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I'm confused by any positive rating given to this hotel. The only way this could be given a positive rating is if you're only rating the employees at the front desk... they were great. That aside, I am appalled Marriot would put there stamp on this. What was the problem you ask?

Maybe it was the blood splatter on the bathroom floor (looked like a crime scene), or maybe it was the dead flies in the bed, Better yet...maybe it was the smeared roaches on the wall. No, no...it was the 1inch layer of dust on the drapes. The floor hadn't seen a vaccum in...ever! In fact there was a large red circle on one of the bedroom floors. Given the blood splatter on the bathroom floor, I guess it could have been blood on the bedroom floor. Who knows!

No manager was on duty. We were told no other rooms were available and insult to injury, housekeeping only works 6hrs per day (This was obvious). We had no where else to go because all hotels were sold out (holiday wknd).

We were in the room long enough for two things to occur. Long enough to decide I'd rather sleep in the car and long enough to watch my mother's asthma kick up due to the dust. I made one last attempt to call the front desk (I wanted to speak to the owner of this hell hole) only to discover they had had a shift change. I explained to the new rep our situation and she came down to our room to check things out. She was disgusted and said the room needed to be rendered "out of order." We were placed in a new room (that miraculously appeared) and given a refund for 1 night.

The new room was 10 times better but still failed to meet my standards in a large way. I wouldn't allow my dog to room here. Wait!!! Did I mention the marijuana party that was going on outside? No...I hadn't told you? Well it's true. Front desk threatend to call cops.

If you are accustomed to motels then you might be comfortable. If you are accustomed to four and 5 diamond accomodations then skip this dump. I need to go now, because Im about to call OSHA!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Letsgotravel23
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Marriott TownPlace Suites Northlake is a nice looking place from the outside, something similar in appearance to a large condo complex with well done landscaping. From the inside it is an older hotel that has pale dim corridor lighting, clanking elevators, and a tiny little lobby that one imagines was once the rental office. Our room, not a suite, was like a small efficiency apt. The furniture was functional though notably older and more banged up than in most Marriotts. There were no hot breakfast items, though on a cart rolled into the office area there was coffee, some cereal that could be dispensed and milk in containers, as well as a few muffins and bagels in vending-maching plastic, and orange juice. Lobby seating was 3 stools and a couple of chairs, so most guests ate someplace else. Interestingly, there were no napkins (bring some toilet paper from your room?). There was no working internet service of any kind in the rooms, so far as I could make it work. (The front desk says the plug-in internet does work in the rooms, and when you plug in the computer screen said the wireless works in the rooms, but I couldn't ever make anything work in our room.) The wireless internet in the office did work. There is a small outside pool and one outside picnic table. Daytime staff were courteous and helpful, but evening staff seemed mainly concerned with adjusting the TV to hear their own programs. In our room one could shut the bathroom door if you pushed hard. On the nights we were there the hotel seemed to be filled with young people and older people with dogs. Outside parking is available and adequate. The hotel is across the street from Northlake Mall, is down the street from some mid-range restaurants, and is about 6 miles (winding through local roads) from Emory University. The hotel is easy to reach from I-285, but it is more complicated to get back on it. All in all this hotel is a place that looks nice from the outside and is relatively inexpensive for the ATL area. It could be a good choice if one needs only a place to sleep and cooking facilities, or possibly for those with dogs. Overall quality level was low for a Marriott. For us, we originally planned to stay a week but moved after 2 nights.

Room Tip: Avoid the elevators
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. Actually it's like a small apartment. There is plenty of room. Has a mini kitchen. The frig is full size, with no ice maker. However they have trays and a ice machine on the first floor. The stove is a small electric with 4 burners. Has a dish washer, sink, small microwave. They provide a few dishes, glasses, cups, utensils etc to do what you need in a kitchen. Toaster, small coffee pot and a few fixings for your first cup of coffee. There is salt & pepper. They provide both dish soap and dish washer soap.

This is close to a full size mall. In fact it's across the street. Because of that, there are plenty of places to eat. The mall is Northlake Mall. Both are very close to I-285

The bathroom is normal. Has a hair dryer and shampoo, conditioner and soap. No other items

The bed and pillows are very nice. For me this is a very nice mattress. There is the same size flat screen TV in the bedroom

The living room is good size. It has a love seat, chair and a table & 2 chairs plus end table and coffee table. And there is still plenty of room!! And a small flat screen TV. There is also a wall unit as you walk in that is a big desk area. There appears to be cables for computer hookup. The desk table is in two parts and part of the table can be moved. There are plenty of outlets to recharge electronics.
There is no wifi except in the lobby, where there is also a computer. I believe there is the availability of internet connection, but I didn’t use it or check to see. This is also where they have a small continental breakfast.
Security is good here. You must have a room key to access all the hotel all day.

There is an full size iron & board.
There is not a luggage rack for unpacking or packing.

In season there is a pool. Parking is free. There is a BBQ by the pool

There is a vending machine to purchase small items like toothbrush & paste, candy, chips

There is a small laundry room and exercise room

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank wheretonext123
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I did not have very high expectations for his hotel and that was a good thing. The rooms are nicely furnished for the price and all have kitchens that even include a dishwasher. A complimentary continental breakfast is included. However, the whole hotel has an old musty smell. My room smelled like someone had dumped a can of air freshener on the floor - pretty awful. I had to turn off the air conditioner and open the windows in order to get any sleep - lucky for me April nights in Atlanta are still relatively cool. The hotel is in a wooded area right around the corner from a mall. However the area appears to be on its way downhill and may not be very safe at night. I had no problems but was a bit concerned. The fact the front desk area closes at night and is locked off the rest of the hotel magnified my concerns. I would only stay at this hotel if I needed to be in the area and was on a budget.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room that does not smell bad. If not, stay away.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AlBeachFan
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I was in Atlanta for business and I stayed 1 night at this hotel. I got into Atlanta late and it was a little difficult to find even with a GPS. Its right off of 285. The suites were very nice but just a little dated but I was satisfied. A continental breakfast is available but didn't take part. Overall, I was very pleased.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Ronniecesmom
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This property was directly behind Northlake mall & an easy off 285. Check-in was strange but I have never stayed in the brand before so maybe no front desk is normal? Kevin was very friendly..small problems easily fixed..TV remote didn't work, needed non feather pillows & only gave us 2 bath towels...View from our room was trees & a small creek..nice & peaceful. Breakfast was also strange..no room in small lobby beyond a 3 seater "bar" to eat but good selection with name brand yogurt ,cereal ,muffins,bagels.& juice. You need to take the bagels back up stairs to toast but you do have a full kitchen so not such a problem unless you are in a hurry to go somewhere. Lots of security,,need to use your room key to access amenities including laundry but I found that comforting. Overall a good stay

Room Tip: second floor has a staircase right as you enter to save you waiting for elevator
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Holiday Inn Atlanta - Northlake
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Northlake
Quality Inn Northlake
Quality Inn Northlake
#110 of 172 in Atlanta
Hampton Inn Atlanta - Northlake
Courtyard Atlanta Northlake
Sonesta ES Suites Atlanta - Perimeter Center North

Been to TownePlace Suites Atlanta Northlake? Share your experiences!