DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #68 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Standish, United Kingdom
“Dire!!!!!!”
Reviewed May 1, 2010

The Front Desk Staff were appalling....extremely rude and unhelpful....the worst by far I have ever had to encounter on many visits to the US.
We had been marooned in Atlanta due to the volcano and sadly had been allocated this hotel by Hotwire.A dreadful place.Parking fees were extortionate and no free internet but appallingly no swimpool or recreational area.Access to a gym about half a mile away is a joke.
We will never return to this hotel that's for sure!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve M
drossman, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Dear SteveStandish

Please allow me to apologize for the poor stay you had with us. I am sorry that we let you and your family down during what was obviously a frustrating time what with the travel interruptions to Europe. Normally, we get raves about our front desk staff but we take all feedback to heart and work to improve. One thing to look for in the future is that we will start construction this summer on adding a fitness room inside the building which you and many other guests are sure to enjoy. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We booked this hotel on the Hilton web-site about three months in advance. We pre-paid the room for $64.00 a night. The room was luxurious, the place was spotless and we were within walking distance of excellent shopping and malls. The complimentary cookies were excellent. The only downside was the quality of the buffet breakfast; I recommend that y ou go elsewhere for that. We had a large corner room. We loved it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Hello Michiganhoney

Love your moniker! As a native Michigander, I know exactly where Walled Lake is. People have no idea how beautiful Michigan is! Thank you for the review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. You will be glad to know that we are making lots of improvements to our breakfast buffet. One of our awesome cooks, Derrick, is now making home-made muffins for the buffet and they are great! We are also adding more cereals and juices along with a special hot item each day which can include croissant sandwiches and my favorite, biscuits and gravy. I hope to welcome you back soon!
New York City
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Booked this hotel on the Hilton website for a week's vacation back in November. Got a great
rate, was familiar with the Buckhead area of Atlanta, so I went for it. I was most impressed
with all aspects of this hotel. the service from check-in was attentive and full of Southern
Hospitality. Room was ready when I arrived - I booked the Deluxe large room which was
huge and exceedingly comfortable with a lage desk, sofabed, recliner with ottoman and a
fridge and microwave upon request.The wonderful wrought- iron bed put me to sleep in a wink every night, and the bathroom was well-furnished if a little small. As this hotel is not directly on Peachtree Street but on a cul-de-sac in a small corporate park the views are minimal but better with these rooms located in the front. The standard rooms in back overlook a parking lot next door. By the way, there is a delightful little park behind the hotel where you could while away some time and recharge; there is also a very moving 9/11 memorial in this same park
As I mentioned service was fantastic. My pre-ordered amenities were in my room and the
fruit/cheese plate I had pre-ordered was delivered to me within minutes of my entering the room! The hotel has a free shuttle taking you anywhere within a 3 mlie radius - the Lenox and Phipps Plaza shopping malls are within walking distance. The Atlanta History Center is a worthwhile visit but you need the shuttle for this.Of all the drivers that I used Aaron was the standout - very freindly, sociable and ready to take you anywhere at a moment's notice.

The main dining room open only for breakfast served up a plenitiful buffet for $9.95 - all the
usual fare but tasty and good to get you going in the morning. Lunch and dinner are served
in the lobby lounge off the entrance - food very good here too with a lot of selection. When I
stayed at the Doubletree there was a free cookout on Thursdays (don't know if this is sitll
the case though).

To those not familiar with Buckhead, it is, as I mentioned, a mostly upscale business - resi-
dential area with lots of great shops and restaurants within walking distance or using the
shuttle in addition to the aforementioned malls which are the largest in the Southeast. The
MARTA subway stop is less than two blocks away where you can be downtown in approx.
15 minutes and to the airport in around 30 minutes. Downtown and environs are where many
of the tourist sites are located and has undergone a huge renaissance since I was last there. The World of Coca-Cola, the Aquarium, Underground Atlanta, Centennal Olympic Park and the Museum of Patriotism are must sees in downtown and there are many other good res- taurants and clubs here as well. The MARTA stations are plentiful here and all over town for a quick trip back to Buckhead and the Doubletree. Much I liked downtown though, I prefer staying in Buckhead because of the more upscale enviroment and its relative distance from downtown which ensures a quieter, more restful stay. One other impression I must give is that I found Atlanta one of the cleanest and freindliest cities I have ever visited - I hope I would not be alone in this observation.

So my stay at the Doubletree Atlanta - Buckhead was everything I had hoped it would be and
more, and I would gladly consider it for a future stay in this fascinating city.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank intrepidtrav
drossman, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Dear intrepidtrav

So glad you enjoyed your visit to our fair city! Fodor's has nothing on your suggestions as you have mentioned many of my favorite attractions, Atlanta History Center, World of Coke, the (world's largest) aquarium. High praise I might add from a savvy traveler and Big Apple denizen. The next time you visit, take MARTA to the North Avenue exit and visit the Varsity for a chili slaw dog, strings and a VO. "What'll ya have?" Is anyone hungry?
Panama City, FL
Reviewed April 11, 2010

My daughter wanted to go to Atlanta for her 18th birthday, so her and I and her boyfriend stayed at the Doubletree on 4/7/10-4/10/10. My rate was 42.00/night on priceline, and I must say I thought it was a fabulous deal. I was never treated like a "priceline customer" and since this was my first time I was very happy about that.

From the moment we pulled up we were treated like friends. Dexter, at the front desk is a wonderful asset to the Doubletree. He was friendly, and helpful, and always ready with a suggestion for a restaurant or activity. We checked in around 3pm, and had connecting rooms, one king and one double, which is exactly what I requested. We were in our rooms in less than 10 minutes from the time we walked in the door. The King room was huge with a couch that let out into a bed. A nice desk area, ergonomic chair, a big comfy chair and reading lamp. A nice big mirror with a bench. Also a nice big bathroom with a marble floor, and Neutrogena bath products and big fluffy towels. They also have the curved shower rods which I love. Being priceline customers, they are under no obligation to honor our requests, but they did honor them with a smile.

I thought the rooms were spacious and nicely decorated. But what made the entire stay so wonderful were the beds. None of us could wait to return to the hotel at night because we had the beds to look forward to. My daughter's boyfriend said it was "like being drugged". He says he never even remember falling asleep at night. They do that nice thing with the blanket where they tuck it between 2 very soft sheets. HEAVEN. And the pillows were fabulous as well. I always bring my own pillow (latex) on a trip but it was entirely unnecessary this time. I didn't have trouble getting everyone in bed, but I sure had trouble getting them OUT in the mornings.

The shuttle is nice, and we did take it to Lenox mall and The Cheesecake Factory. It's nice to have someone drive around. Especially if you're not from "The Big City". Its hard to drive and look at the same time, and with the shuttle, I could just take everything in.

We did not use the Internet as my daughter's boyfriend had a wireless card. But this is something I think most hotels should factor into the cost. It's a pretty standard issue nowadays. I won't be paying 10.00 a day for internet. But on the flip side, they had a business center that was never busy, so I could use the internet there when I needed to.

I know this is rated as a 3 star hotel, but it could in fact be more IF there was a pool onsite and parking was a either a little closer, connected, or less expensive. Any of the 3 would be an improvement. Also, the sidewalk needs a little attention. One night on the way into the hotel there was a loose cobblestone at the corner of the building and I tripped and fell flat on my face. ( I was absent the day they taught graceful.) Luckily I wasn't hurt badly...scraped arm, bruised and swollen, and just basically sore the next few days. I mostly hurt my pride. I did mean to mention it to the manager, but I didn't have a chance. Hopefully no one else will fall before that's taken care of.

Overall, a wonderful experience, minus the fall. It's a great area, I felt safe walking around at night. Very close to fabulous shopping. Wonderful staff, amazing beds. Would like to see this as a higher rating, but with the few issues, I understand why it's not rated higher. Don't hesitate to choose the Doubletree. And don't forget to have a cookie.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Ladybugsy
Dear Ladybugsy

First of all, great screen name! Second of all, you could have a new career as a travel writer! A lot of great information and feedback which I appreciate. I will be sure to pass on the nice comments to Dexter, the housekeeping team and the van drivers. For hotels, the safety and security of our guests and employees is our top priority so if something like the trip and fall occurs, please let management know so they can make any needed corrections, thanks. Glad you enjoyed the beds and the cookies, they are keepers. Hope to see you and your family soon!
sweettee35
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Wait the parking is a million miles away! The room they put us in was the last room of the hall and the front desk wasn't familiar with everyday knowledge of the from desk. The rooms were small and when we looked out of our window, we looked down in the dumpster in the alley! Wow very attractive! $63.00 hotel on hot wire! And $9.95 for internet is outrageous!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Dear sweettee35

I apologize that we let you down on your recent visit with us. I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay with you. Please call me at (404) 238-0000. I look forward to speaking with you.
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed March 25, 2010

we've just returned from a fantastic stay at this hotel, we had 3 nights and then a further 2 on our return journey.

We had rooms on the top floor (6th) which were lovely. The beds were huge and were the most comfortable we've EVER slept in. We've stayed in a few other hotels of this star rating but this was the best.......and don't even get me started on the Cookies, I'm in soooo much trouble back in slimming classthis week!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol B
Dear carolb

The best compliment is a return guest, so thank you!! Sorry that the cookies are so good. I will gladly write you an excuse note for your fitness coach. I hope to meet you the next time travel brings you to our neck of the woods. Say 'hey' to all our friends in the UK!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 1, 2010

I am all about the bargain. Finding an affordable hotel in a central location in Atlanta was a tad difficult, but then I found the Doubletree. I am sure it helped that we were going in January, but it was still pretty good. Our rate was $75 per night, plus taxes. They indicate that you will need to pay $20 per day to park in the garage adjacent to the hotel, but we found a way around that.
The garage has free parking for the bulk of the day on Sunday's as there are churches that use the garage for its parishioners. Further, if you have a car in Atlanta, chances are you are using it during the day to sight see, thus you won't be parked in the garage much. Well, they have a $8 for 12 hours, which was perfect. Instead of $20, we paid $8 per day.

The location is great and is very easy to get to other parts of Atlanta and surrounding areas. You can walk to many restaurants, albeit very expensive ones, but nonetheless shopping and restaurants are in walking distance (I recommend you venture out though).

The hotel is nice, and clean. The restaurants/bar is not much, so again, venture out.

Our room was spacious, clean, and exactly what we needed. The bathroom is huge! I am not picky about noise, because I can sleep through anything, but if you are picky about that, avoid the corner room on the 3rd floor. We were the last room on the floor and our window looked out onto a loading dock area. Very early in the AM you can hear cars backing up, beeping, and just a general ruckus. I was okay with it, but I could see someone else making a big stink about it.

There is not free internet in the room, but there is in the business center. However, the business center is very small (2 computers, cramped space), but we made it work.

I would stay here again because of the price and the general quality, but I could see how some of the downsides might bother others.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
drossman, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, March 3, 2010
Dear jessika14:

Comments from savvy travelers such as you, jessika14, improve the travel experience for everyone. And, give valuable feedback to those of us operating the hotels. I am glad that you enjoyed the room but I apologize for the noise that disturbed you in the morning. January was very cold for Atlanta this year so I hope you can make it down later in the year and enjoy more of our outdoor activities. We will be running special rates for most of the year. Thank you for the feedback.