“Could have been nice”

Ranked #77 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
A TripAdvisor Member
“Could have been nice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

Disappointing stay to say the least. The room was lovely, nicely decorated, super comfortable bed and pillows but the room had a general air of sloppiness. Housekeeping was lacking - thick layer of dust under the tv and in metal grillwork on shelf in bathroom. Built up layer of soap under the soap dish in the bathtub. Very nice furniture but with nicks that could have been taken care of with a touch up marker. Wastebasket was totally smashed. Toilet and desk chair so close to the floor only a four year old could be comfortable sitting on them. Toilet paper dispenser placed so close to the floor the paper would actually drag on the floor if not caught. I wouldn't recommend drinking the coffee as the coffe maker was placed on a shelf a foot away from the toilet. Fast check-in, generally friendly and helpful staff except for the desk clerk at check out who was rude and condescending. Many frustrations: $15 fee to park your own car, $4 charge for a bottled water in the room, $9.95 daily for internet access, extra charge to use a credit card to make phone calls.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Montgomery, AL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2006

When I drove up to the hotel, i noticed that it was hard to find due to all the construction going on nearby. When I drove up, the valet came up and asked if i wanted valet parking. He proceeded to tell me that it was $19/day. I asked what my other option was. He said that I can self park but it would cost me $15/day but he would not recommend it because I would have to pay $15 each time I came in and out. So I paid for the valet parking. After talking to the individuals at the front desk, they told me that was not the case.
We went to the top floor where the exective rooms are and found that the coffee maker is right next to the toilet... sort of disgusting. We also found blood stains on the toilet paper. Again disgusting.

So with all that we ended up checking out the next day and stayed at another hotel. On a positive note, the breakfast coupons we received for getting a executive room were great.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank crownroyal03
Overland Park, KS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2006

My cousin and I stayed at this property for 2 nights in April. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was very attractive, with high-end linens and LOTS of great pillows. Bathroom was granite and spacious but the vanity was pretty small for 2 people's stuff. The courtesy driver was a very welcome touch; they will take you anywhere within a 3-mile radius and pick you up until 11:00 pm.

The breakfast buffet in the dining room was very good; we were there towards the end of the serving period, and choices were still fresh and plentiful.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank RanLady
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2006

I got this hotel on a name your own price on Priceline. I was really trying for a four star hotel in the area, but gave up and settled for a three-star. I know it doesn't have all the amenities of a four star but it if comfort and the staff could be given a four star, this hotel should earn it.

Check-in and out was effortless. It's within walking distance of all my favorite stores. The staff is exceptional and even though I was able to obtain a room here at a greatly disconnted rate (I was surprised as it was full at least 3 of the 5 nights I was there), my room and service was wonderful. The room was extremely comfortable and away from the vending machines. It was a non- smoking room.

The Doubletree has been redecorated with attractive furnishings, four pillows on each bed and a mattress that I wanted to take home. Absolutely, no problems. I was attending a conference in another hotel and they shuttled me over there and back with very little wait. The staff was wonderful, pleasant and did everything to make my visit comfortable. I have stayed in other hotels in the area, but I will definitely return to this one.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2006

This is my favorite hotel in Atlanta due to the location within walking distance of Lenox Square. There is also a MARTA station within a block or so. The rooms are always clean and the food in the restaurant is good although there are so many other choices in the area you probably will choose to eat elsewhere. The staff can be a little indifferent but that may just be the big city attitude coming out.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank flaguy
nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2006

I recently stayed at the Doubletree in Buckhead and was not overwhelmed by my stay there.

Pros: location: it is close to the Marta station, and seemingly close to the shopping areas in Buckhead. the king sized bed is HUGE and they give you so many pillows that it's outstanding. Room decor is nice, bathroom was clean.

Cons: they charge $9.95 for Wi-Fi; there is no pool/hot tub/fitness center IN the hotel itself; room service ends at 11pm; there are no vending machines in the hotel (except for beverages); the information provided by the hotel about local attractions is minimal -- no maps or detailed explanation on how to get to the malls that are close by.

I did not rent a car but I think it would probably have been a good idea if you're going to be there on an extended stay. All in all, it was a clean hotel (which is huge in my opinion) but I felt the staff was a little less than attentive to detail. I checked in fairly late on a busy night and didn't get the cookies! The outrage!

• Stayed February 2006
11 Thank da_jm
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2005

I wanted to stay in the Buckhead area and at $169/night, this was the best price for a decent hotel.

The reception was pretty friendly and they do give you a delicious cookie.

The room was very clean which is one of the most important things to me. The bed was very comfortable.

My only complaint about the room would be the bathroom. The mirror was back quite a bit because the vanity was large, so it was pretty hard to put on makeup. I think all hotels should have makeup mirrors.

The location is pretty good. It is near a shopping mall and probably some decent restaurants.

Overall, it was a pretty good deal and I would likely stay there again, especially for the rate.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business