“perfectly fine chain hotel in buckhead”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #75 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
nyc
“perfectly fine chain hotel in buckhead”
Reviewed April 20, 2011

what can i say? typical doubletree service, friendly staff, decent breakfast, good location, etc., etc. nothing out of the ordinary here. the only downside for me was that any room in the back of the hotel (one of which i had) has zero view, as there is an 8-story parking garage looming over the back of the hotel. if staying here, do yourself a favor and ask for a room in the front of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 3, 2011

This hotel is WONDERFUL. I was completely suprised. It blows most Doubletree hotels out of the water. I had never stayed here before and was extremely pleased. It is very upscale and luxurious. The rooms were great and the beds very comfortable. I felt like I was staying at a very nice regluar Hilton or Marriott. They have a great bar and restaurant as well.The only downside is that you have to pay for parking, but you have to pay for any hotel pretty much in downtown Atlanta. It is in a great location and is near great shopping and restaurants.If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in Buckhead that is nice, stay here!

Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Staff was incredibly attentive from front desk to restaurant to shuttle drivers. Room was very spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
GM_DoubletreeBuckhea, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
These are very nice comments. Thank you.
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I needed a hotel in the Buckhead area for 4 nights while attending some medical meetings.

After some research, I used an online bidding site to bid for a 3* Hotel in Buckhead and was more than pleased to be assigned to the Doubletree-Buckhead.

That was until I found out that parking was $25/day (valet) or $20/day (self). This represented an almost 40% premium on what I was paying for the room.

Being disabled, I called the hotel to see if they had accommodations for the disabled and thier vehicles. I was offered in advance of my arrival a disabled accessible room with a roll-in shower. Lots of points for that. Points lost, however, that they had no disabled parking, although they did offer a discount on the valet when I asked and which I accepted.

The hotel is in a great area-close to shopping, restaurants, a grocery store, and boutique stores. They offer a free shuttle within 3 miles of the hotel.

The lobby is exactly what one would expect from an upscale Doubletree, and my cookie was immediately given to me at check-in---in fact, a second cookie too! Moreover, cookies everyday of my stay-on request, and never a hint of displeasure from the staff.

The disabled room (204) that I was assigned overlooked the roof of the lobby and toward a parking garage, but for my stay, that was OK.

The room was large, spotlessly clean. had a desk, an armoire, an outstanding A/C unit, and a very large bathroom. A King Bed would have been better than the Queen if I had someone with me, but alone it was OK. All properly designed to accommodate a wheelchair guest. Although the 1990 27" regular TVs need to be updated!

A call to Valet about 15 minutes before each departure assured my SUV would be there (a tip each time didn't hurt). One morning, the Operator got distracted and didn't relay my request to the valet, and I had to wait 20 minutes as they were busy. A word at the front desk as this interfered with one of meetings, and an immediate offer to Comp the valet for the day was put on my bill. Very nice recovery.

I used the Business Center to write the GM a letter about the parking and that I felt they were not in compliance with GA law (Feb 25). To date, there has been no response (Mar 5).

Also, there is limited street parking across the street from the hotel (about 5 spots + 2 disabled spots), but the front desk told me there was no overnight parking although I did see people parking overnight and not being ticketed or towed. There were no signs prohibiting overnight parking either. I asked the manager to address that as well---if the information from the front desk was correct.

Most of all, the stay was well worth the cost and then some---even paying for parking. Would welcome the opportunity to return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank actraveler2004
New York City
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Stayed at the Doubletree Atlanta Buckhead for a week's vacation this
past November. Got a great rate from the Hilton website just like my
visit the previous year. Likewise the rooms and service was first rate
from the front desk staff to housekeeping as well as the restaurant and
ther shuttle drivers who were again unfailingly freindly and helpful. The
shuttle is available within a three mile radius of the hotel and is great for
trips to local restaurants and shopping at Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza the two largest malls in the Southeast (you could also walk there in about
10 to 15 minutes.

I reserved a deluxe room with sofabed, refrigerator and microwave. I
don't undestand the negative complaint of the reviewer who complained of
the size of the deluxe room. All these rooms are in the front of the hotel
and are really very spacoius, no kidding! They contain a large sofa with
coffee table, easy chiair with ottoman, large desk and armoire with clo-
sets, drawers and TV. The bathroom is admittedly not huge but for one
person should do the trick. As to the bathroom lighting, the bathrooms at
this property are equipped with energy saving lighting, Yes, they are dim
when you flick the switch but give it a couplre of minutes and they brighten
up just fine. This is a typical feature of a LEED "green" hotel - if this is not
to your taste it is not the biggest incovinience - I can think of worse. As to
the rooms which on the other side of the hotel which another writer men-
tioned, yes they are smaller than the deluxe and yes, they overlook a ga-
rage across the street. So, it would be worthwhile to spend the slightly
higher amount for the deluxe room - it is worth it. And to the reviewer who
commented about the lack of a fridge and microwave in the deluxe -
yes, they are not in the room on check-in - you need to ask for them and
they will be sent up to the room. I verified this feature before arrival and
was apprised of this. All you need to do is ask and it will be done.

The Doubletree Atlanta - Buckhead is superbly located in the Buckhead
Central Business District within easy distance from shopping (as above)
and many fine restaurants); if you don't want to walk the shuttle is avai-
lable till 10 or 11 P.M. The MARTA subway station is 1-1/2 blocks from
the front door and will take you to most places of interest in Atlanta as
well as the airport (approx. a 30 minute ride).

TIP - If you wish not to eat breakfast in the hotel ($10.95 for the full buffet)
there is a small cafe on the far side of the hotel opposite a small, pretty
park. Just walk left out the front door down the hill; at the bottom of the
hill make right and walk a few yards to the cafe (on the right - the park
to the left). This cafe serves good, inexpensive breakfast and lunch fare
(mostly sandwiches) but should fit the bill for most people. If not there
is an IHOP and other options an easy shuttle ride away.

So, while this hotel may not be the Grand Hyatt or the Ritz-Carlton, I found
the Doubletree Buckhead perfect and perfectly comfortable for my needs
and at a much more accesible price tag. If I vist Atlanta again in the future
this will be my first choice without hesitation. It is in a great location, has
great service (the staff remembered me from my last visit), and comfor-
table accomodations all of which make me feel right at home during my
entire visit.

P.S. The hotel also offers a business center with free internet access,
a ftiness center, and lunch and dinner service in the Lobby Lounge and
bar.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank intrepidtrav
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed January 10, 2011

To be fair, the location is good. However, I had expected a baseline level of quality for the Doubletree in Buckhead. Our reservation was messed up even after we called from the airport because of our late arrival and to check on our earlier request for an advertised upgrade which proved to be non-existent despite their advertising. The first room they put us in had a wonderful view of dumpsters. The hot water in the sink only worked after running the shower. The light in the bathroom had to stay on for a period of time in order get bright enough to illuminate the shower area. I found myself having respiratory issues so we requested a non-feather comforter. We got two ugly, very scratchy blankets as the only available alternative. I can only hope that our flight home isn't cancelled because of the weather. I'd hate to be stuck here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

Knoxville
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Stayed there overnight on New Years Day to celebrate the engagement of my daughter We came from Knoxville & they came from Augusta. Have stayed at the Embassy Suites & the Westin in Buckhead before. We are HIlton Honors Diamond members. We did get free internet & breakfast for our Diamond status but they don't have Executive floors or suites. Booked two rooms. One was a deluxe which on the internet said it would have a microwave & refrigerator. Didn't get one. Asked & was under the impression they didn't have any rooms there that has a refrigerator & microwave so I don't know why you would be offered one. Also the deluxe has a couch where as a regular room has a chair. I would think the deluxe room would be a bit bigger but instead it just has a couch that makes the room look smaller. Why would you pay more for a room with a couch if it's not roomier. Just more cramped. The breakfast was average. Something you would expect to see at a cheaper hotel not the Doubletree.
I think in any other area of the city this hotel would not be disappointing but it is in Buckhead. You don't do average in Buckhead. The Embassy Suites is nicer & we have gotten rooms there cheaper. We have even stayed at the Westin for less than what we stayed at the Doubletree. It was disappointing since we were there to celebrate a special occasion.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family