“Had a few extras... But ultimately just another room.”

The Whitley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #13 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Service was great. Very hospitable. Gym and pool area were fantastic.

Make sure you change into appropriate attire for dinner, gym clothes not welcomed.

Restaraunt had a great rissoto.

All in all, a good night rest.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,773)

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I've stayed here multiple times and they consistently provide an above-average experience. Of the three hotels that I frequent when in Atlanta, this is my number one pick. Can be pricey depending on when to make your reservation, but it's money well-spent.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton Buckhead several times. The last visit I stayed on the club level and it exceeded all expectations. I was visiting a family member in the area and booked two rooms on the club level, one for me and one for the relative, his wife and toddler. We were able to sit in the club lounge throughout the stay and did not feel like we were stuck in a hotel room. The food, drinks and hospitality in the club lounge were extraordinary. The hotel has a wonderful brunch on Sundays in the hotel restaurant. The rooms are very comfortable and elegant. When I have stayed on floors other than the club level, I booked a one bedroom suite. These were spacious and very nice. Be sure to note that you would like a one bedroom suite with a full bathroom and a powder room. Some of the one bedroom suites do not have the extra bathroom and it is very convenient if you have guests visit your suite.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have rather mundane views. Ask for one that has a good view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The Ritz Carlton Buckhead is an older hotel so its understandable it may not have some of the physical features as newer hotels such as ultra-large bathrooms but even with this allowance it misses the Ritz mark. Their is no reason for the room decor to be so dated. The fabrics and furniture reminds me of someone's grandparents house that has not been redone in years. I also don't ever remember staying in a Ritz that used cheap plastic shower curtains. Even with it being an older hotel there is no reason the decor should be old, cheap, and shoddy. It also misses the mark from a service level given that I have high expectations from this hotel brand. The hotel offers turndown service yet they don't fill the ice buckets. When I called to find out if there was an ice machine near, it took about 2 dozen rings for a pick-up. Check-in personnel was not especially welcoming and fails to tell guests that one must use the room key scanner, no matter what floor they are staying on, to activate the elevator. I'm assuming they want us to guess. All you get is "the elevators are behind the sofas." Likewise you don't get the usual hello or good morning from Ritz employees as you walk through the property. These are not big things, nor or they even expected at other chains, but Ritz is different and I have never seen it miss the mark like this. There are several other large hotels in the area including the W and JW Marriott that I have also experienced and would recommned over this hotel and that is coming from a big fan of Ritz Carltons as a whole.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Brad S
E_Schinnerl, General Manager at The Whitley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Brad,

thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feed back. I am very sorry to hear that your overall experience did not meet your expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you. I truly value your comments, and so if you could afford the time, I may be reached at (404)240-7030.
Erwin Schinnerl

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I've agonized over this review. I really did want to like the Ritz, but it fell flat on a couple of very important components.

The most important is the inability to reserve room type if you book below an executive-type room. This is crazy to me. There are many reasons why a certain bed type is necessary for the entire function of a stay. If i stay with another friend, I don't want to sleep in the same bed as them. In the case of my stay, I was on extended assignment in Atlanta and hadn't seen my boyfriend for weeks. Since I could not reserve a specific room type, I requested a king via the online concierge and at check in. This request could not be accommodated, so I spent a romantic weekend cuddled in a double with my very tall boyfriend. Just to note, this seems to be a problem with all higher-end Marriott properties, not just the Ritz, but I really don't understand why they can't offer the same reservation qualities as Hilton, IHG, or even Starwood properties.

The second thing is that self-parking is listed as $22/day on their website but I quickly found out that was with no in-and-out privileges. So you paid each time you left the parking garage. Luckily I was able to minimize our car trips due to the hotels somewhat convenient location, it was still a hassle.

Other than that, service was great. The staff offered me some comped items due to not having a king size bed available and the lady in the gift shop went above and beyond to let me buy a desired souvenir.

The rooms themselves are nice enough, but are surprisingly small (especially the bathroom). The lobby/dining room is also surprisingly small for such an upscale hotel, especially compared to similar level hotels in the Buckhead area.

On checkout day, I left something in my room and the staff were very accommodating in letting me retrieve it.

Overall I would consider staying again if I could get room type guaranteed - probably retry after I hit Platinum elite status.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheila B, Manager at The Whitley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear Ms. Annelin,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am very sorry to hear that your experience with your room accommodation did not meet your expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you. Feedback is extremely important to us, and so if you could afford the time, I may be reached directly at (404) 348-5754. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sheila Buciuman

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Prior to staying at this hotel, I was debating between this one and the J.W. Marriott (across the street) and the Grand Hyatt Buckhead (0.5 miles away). I am glad I made my decision to stay here.

I know some reviewers complained this hotel is out-dated, need renovation in terms of decor (which made me worried at first when I made my reservation), but I when I arrived in the room, I didn't feel that this was the case. The hotel has a "old world" elegance feel to it, - a classic beauty (similar to the Waldorf Astoria Hotel Rome Cavalieri in Rome, Italy).

During my travel, I've been to so many "Grand & brand new" hotels, so I find it was enjoyable to stay be able to stay at an "old world/classic beauty" hotel. Being old, doesn't mean this hotel is dirty or wormed out, in fact, the cleanliness of the room is spectacular and things are not worn-out, just more like "used". Its like an heirloom that has been well-kept and past down between generations.

We stayed in a suite on the 21, which was very nice. I would have like to try the club level, but was out all day, so didnt feel the need to pay for this extra expense.

The pool area was really nice, pretty quiet.
The Ritz Carlton chocolate cake was also one of the best cakes I ever had (this is from someone who is very picky and I was extremely full at the time I was eating this cake, so its really good cake.

I also like the Asprey toiletries.

Regardless of all the things I enjoyed at this hotel, I feel its definitely missing some elements of a true luxury hotel:

-Concierges was kinda arrogant (Maybe because I look like a kid walking around the hotel, instead of a super star)
-No slippers provided
-No shopping bags (usually a hotel in this category would have this)
-Lack outlets, it was annoying to search around for places to plugs things in
-TV was extremely difficult to use (too advance and confusing)
-No steam sauna only the dry one
-BATHROOM LACK AIR VENTILATION - GROSS!
-Self parking was confusing and the price was off from what stated in the reservation

While we were there, the NFL's owner meeting event (private) was talking place, so we start a bunch of reporters in the lobby, etc.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the suite. Not sure about the other rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We attended a conference hosted at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead and learned first-hand about the legendary service. Not only did all the staff greet us with with smiles, eye contact and great service, but true to their policy the hotel extravagantly exceeded our expectations for a great stay. In spite of the ice storm that gripped Atlanta during our stay they made meals, accommodations and conference facilities the best we've ever had. And to top that they surprised us with special touches like an unexpected chocolate covered strawberry late night snack! You've got to go to the R-C Buckhead just once, but that means you won't go just once. An experience like this need repeating all over again!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business