“Excellent stay with minor tweaks needed”

The Whitley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #13 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our stay at the Ritz Buckhead during the Final Four Championship was excellent.

The location is the tip of a triangle where the two opposite ends are formed by two excellent shopping malls of high end boutiques and large stores such as Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Nordstrom's. They are within easy walking distance as are great restaurants like New York Prime (see my recent review).

The lobby of the hotel is filled with folks wanting to help you. While we were there for the Final Four, they had lemonade of the color of each team - a nice touch. When we arrived we had Louisville Cardinal cookies waiting in our room.

The gift shop is fantastic, with a wide variety of logo wear.

We stayed on the club level. Our club level rate included internet for both our computers, unlimited garment pressing, and a spread of food the like I have never seen before. Lydia - in the club lounge - was the single best ritz employee I have ever encountered. Attentive and genuine without seeming intrusive, she was top notch in every way. One night she knew we were coming back late and had cookies waiting for us in our room.

The rooms were a little dated, but the beds were almost as good as home. The housekeeping came precisely when we asked both for the full service and the turn down service. The internet service was strong and uninterrupted.

One additional positive was that I emailed the hotel asking that our room actually be located on the club level as opposed to club level access. Not only did they honor the request, they called me in advance to let me know a specific room away from the club lounge yet still on the same floor had been reserved.

It was an excellent experience all in all.

There are a few minor issues that should be noted for improvement.

First of all, when you are asked what paper you want in the morning and you say the New York Times, you should not be told its 3.00 extra. That is beneath the Ritz Carlton brand when people are paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars a night for a room. That left a bad first impression.

Second, I was disappointed with the main concierge desk in the lobby. On one occasion they did not answer the phone. When I called back they asked if I could hold. I asked them to call me back. They never did. They gave us bad advice on taking Marta into downtown. "Marta is smarta", they said. It isn't. Then the next night I asked about a car service and they told me it would cost 1500 dollars. We found one that was perfect - round trip for 300. I interacted with them each of my 4 days. The first night (4/5) was great, the rest were a disappointment.

Finally, the fellow John is runs the porte cache is too interested in asking you questions. He must have asked me 5 questions in rapid fire when I got out of the car, What is your name, do you want the car parked, where are you driving in from, are you here for the ballgames, who are you cheering for, etc. When you drive in Atlanta traffic you don't want to deal with all that chit chat. You are interested in getting checked in and having a drink! Again, another bad first impression. When we left he gave us our car back which we paid 30 dollars a day to park and it was covered - covered - with film. Thankfully the hotel staff was made aware of it and eagerly refunded that charge.

There are lots of great hotels within just a couple blocks of the Ritz. When we go to Buckhead next, we will go back here assuming the price is similar to the other hotels.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KeithAHall
Write a ReviewReviews (1,773)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall facilities are nice but not better than you would expect from a Ritz. The physical property could probably use a refresh/update. What sets this property apart was the service of the entire staff. 3 weeks prior we stayed at a supposed 5 star in Turks and Caicos and they could take same serious lessons from the staff in Atlanta. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel if you need to rest your head in Atlanta and want great service and access to all Buckhead has to offer

Room Tip: Amex Fine hotels and resorts breakfast included means $40 credit which is not really enough to cover...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were in town just for a quick night to watch the NCAA basketball tournament and were lucky to have a suite on the club level of the hotel. We arrived early, before check-in, and were told only one of the 2 rooms was ready. No problem with us being early, they put the luggage in the open room and let us enjoy the club lounge. Truly was outstanding from A to Z. The food selection was great. We had planned on going to lunch, but with the food selection, there was no reason to leave the lounge. There were choices of soft drinks and various beer, wine and champagne. We didn't even have to venture to get the drinks as the club room staff was happy to bring some to our table, and they continually checked on us to make sure we were happy and didn't need anything else. They also checked with us about our plans for the evening and gave us suggestions as to where to have dinner and how to coordinate our schedule for dinner as well as getting to the games on time. A couple of attendants went out of their way to help us. We mentioned we had hoped to grab a nap before we headed out and the attendant went to actually help the cleaning staff to make sure we could get into the other room a bit before the scheduled time to help us get in and snag that quick nap. Another attendant mentioned to us that a "chocolate" service came out a bit later in the evening. Our 10 year old really picked up on that. Unfortunately, we were not going to back in time to partake in the sevice...shh...the attendant had some chocolates waiting in our room that night when we returned, as well as a couple of glasses of wine for my husband and myself. I sure this extra service is not the norm, but we were really impressed with this nicety, especially our 10 year old. Unfortunately, we had an extremely early check out the following morning and didn't have the chance to pop in and enjoy the breakfast service, although I would have liked to have had the time to enjoy it.

Kudos once again to the service and layout off the club lounge. I have forgot to mention the beds were extremely comfortable as well.

In conclusion, we would be happy to return to this ritz on a future trip.

One aside, we have recently stayed at the Ritz in Puerto Rico, definitely NOT the same club experience. They could use some tips from the Atlanta location.

Room Tip: club lounge
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tadr1
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a BEAUTIFUL hotel with a more "antique, old money vibe". Everything about the hotel is grande and luxurious. They have great customer service and always have hot apple cider/cookies in the lobby as well as provide milk and dark chocolate when they turn down your bed every night. We did the Sunday brunch which was an extravaganza. Literally everything you can imagine was available. They had a champagne bar with orange juice, peach juice, strawberries, etc. Foodwise- they had a ton of meat and seafood, caviar/oyster/shrimp cocktail bar, fresh fruit and pastries, eggs, and tons and tons of delicious desserts. The brunch is pricey but well worth it! I highly recommend staying at this hotel if you get the chance!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great stay. So well managed you think you are staying at a top quality boutique hotel it was Final Four weekend and the large number of courteous staff and highly trained staff was more than up to the task. Rooms have been nicely refreshed and are very individual rather than out of a chain model

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank sidney m
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the ritz at buckhead for business and I enjoyed it a lot. It's very nice, the service was excellent and the room was plush. It's what you expect from the ritz! I used the gym and it had all the essentials, the pool looked nice but didnt bring my swimsuit to do laps. Room service was expensive, orders soup and salad, nothing to rave about.
Overall a nice place to stay when on business.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Annoush
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed at this Ritz for 3 nights over Easter weekend. Hotel is in a good location, less than a 3 minute walk to 2 malls, a supermarket, Target and various restuarants. The hotel itself was nice but not outstanding. Would be nice to be able to place other Ritz properties at this same location. Hotel has a nice lobby, lounge area. The gym is nice by hotel standards, also has an indoor pool/hot tub that are well kept. The rooms themselves are just average in comparison to other 3 star hotels. Bed was very comfortable. The staff at the hotel was very polite and helpfull, always a plus when staying at a Ritz-Carlton property.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple