Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area
Ranked #86 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I found the hotel exactly as I described in my TripAdvisor review last year on 1/21/12:(http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60898-d86261-r123419964-Atlanta_Marriott_Century_Center_Emory_Area-Atlanta_Georgia.html).

My only complaint this time? The WiFi signal in my room was poor, and irregular. The Front Desk forwarded me to Marriott Technical Support, but they weren't able to do anything. (I was in room 306, in case it matters.)

While it was irritating not to have a reliable signal, I was only in the room a few hours per day since I was at a conference downstairs. I feel certain that if I had requested a different room for a better signal, another room would have been provided, but I had already become comfortable otherwise in the room, and I wasn't up to changing rooms. (WiFi signal strength has, surprisingly to me, become VERY important as I now have my iPad with me all the time.)

Staff who were particularly helpful during my stay: Callie (Holle); Jesus from Durango, Mexico.

This time, I ventured out of the hotel a little. There's a Sam's Club between I-85 and the hotel, and a couple of nights I bought a rotisserie chicken, a bottle of wine, cherry tomatoes, and plastic utensils for a cheap and filling dinner. About a mile up Claremont, at Buford, is a Kroger. In the same neighborhood are a CVS Pharmacy, several Vietnamese and Mexican restaurants, and a Strip Club, "Follies" (note to wife: I didn't go. I only saw it from CVS, next door.)

Lee's Vietnamese bakery/restaurant is in the area, and has been highly rated on TripAdvisor and by the New York Times. I picked up a banh mi pork sandwich for dinner one night, and it WAS delicious and the bread crunchy.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I planned a trip with 3 co workers for ATL. We needed to be near Perimeter Center/Sandy Springs. Unfortunately due to a medical conference, we had to book elsewhere from our usual Perimeter Center Marriott. As we are Marriott loyal, we decided on the Century Center area.

The building is very modern, right off the freeway and a very nice Marriott. The hotel offers free parking which is ample and right off the freeway off ramp.

On the downside, this hotel isn't really located near anything specific so bring a car and be prepared to drive.

The lounge: Their lounge is on the 14th Floor and very nice. The Lounge staff went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. My 2 minor complaints (no shampoo and my card not functional at the lounge) were taken care of immediately. Strangely enough, they didn't feature any Coke or Lemon Lime soda. Considering how strongly tied Atlanta is with Coca Cola, this surprised me a great deal. They mostly had Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Diet Dr Pepper, Water and Mountain Dew. If you go for breakfast in the lounge, they had an adequate variety featuring eggs, bacon, oatmeal, cereal and fruit along with Coffee and juices.

The Rooms:
The rooms are typical Marriott decor. The interior of the hotel reminded me of an Embassy Suites in layout (central elevator with rooms around the perimeter of the building).

While my co workers on floors 12 and 15 had issues with the freeway noise, I did not. My room faced the highway but I couldn't hear the noise from the bed. If you don't want to take a risk, avoid the highway facing rooms.

Inside, the room featured a standard tub/shower with granite counter sink. I had plenty of counter space to store my hygiene products.

The bed was ultra comfortable and the A/C worked great. The TV was fairly large (42ish " size) with lots of HD content.

For internet, the hotel featured WIFI and wired internet, neither of which were free. In typical Marriott fashion, it's $13 a day (or free if you are Marriott Gold or Platinum). That said, it's fast and reliable.

Other amenities:

The gym is very nice and perfectly adequate for a business traveler. Downstairs, they had a restaurant which we didn't use and a gift shop where you can buy small items (bottled pop, water, candy etc) and charge it to the room at the front desk.

For $190 a night, It's perfectly adequate.

Room Tip: Avoid the Highway side if you want to not take chances with the noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Shane M
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I recently stayed at the Atlanta Marriott Century Center on business and I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel was clean, contemporary, and the staff was great! I really would like to focus on the staff as they were very accommodating from the time I arrived until my departure. I utilized the business center, the gym, the outside patio area, the parking lot (no cost) and the bar inside the restaurant - great food and cocktails.

I was offered an upgrade to the concierge level due to the number of football fans staying at the hotel - Saints/Falcons and SEC Alabama/Georgia game all in one weekend so there were a lot of people. The hotel is also close to Lennox and Phipps Mall.

The only complaint was the loud noises in the lobby and people shouting over the balconies!! The signs didn't help I guess.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room opposite the interstate if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My family had a recent event in Atlanta. Unfortunately, the amenities in the room were not consistent with what we asked for. The room was wrong in so many ways; however, since I arrived in the room late at night I was unable to get the room changed right of way. The next day the front dest was ready and willing to correct their error and put us in a new room. With a tight schedule for the day we rushed to move things from one room to the other.

The bottom line is that several things got left in the room including a nice silk robe handing behind the bathroom door. EIther the cleaning crew is incompetent or they took my robe because the hotel told me that robe was not to be found. These folks were very nice about telling me this but their defense of the staff was ill placed. The room was comfortable, the front desk staff was understanding but they refused to accept any role in the problem. Stay if you wish but keep you eye on your belongings.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DanTColeman
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Marriott because we were attending an event at nearby Stone Mountain and the property was everything that I look for in a Marriott. The rooms very very spacious and clean and the staff was very helpful with directions and dining suggestions. The bar was a great place for an evening drink and the breakfast buffet was quite good. While the location was very close to Stone Mountain and such spots as Atlantic Station, the hotel is set in the middle of a corporate park, so a car is a must if you want to explore or eat anywhere else. The hotel does provide a free shuttle to nearby restaraunts, but we did not use it. We looked at several Marriott properties prior to our stay and we are very glad that we ended up at the Century Center...we will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed here on Saturday night - simply to be within a few miles of the
Atlanta airport for our flight the next day.

The property is in a corporate park with restaurants within a half mile or so.
The front desk staff was very helpful - the room was fine -- clean, etc. I only have
two issues: 1) In my opinion, the bedding needs replacing. I would be interested to know
how long it's been since the bedding was changed out....much too soft and you tend to sink
into the mattress. If you have two people on the bed, it's really noticeable.

2) This may seem minor, but there is no TV channel guide. You cannot get a comprehensive channel guide on the screen like you might have at home. I called down to the front desk to see if I could
come down and get one, and was informed they no longer put these in the rooms (what??) She basically told me to just keep changing the channel until I found what I wanted. This is bizarre and management needs to address it....such a simple thing to correct.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I am actually writing this review at the hotel. The hotel itself looks good from the outside, but a little dated on the inside. Everything is good: room is clean, bed is comfy. Even though the TV is HD, the channels are not. Also, the screen is on the small side. Internet (both wired and wireless) is complimentary (thanks to my status); snacks (breakfast also) available in the lounge (on the 14th floor). Overall, a good stay so far.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Buckhead
Courtyard Atlanta Buckhead
Courtyard Atlanta Buckhead
#85 of 173 in Atlanta
Buckhead
JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead

Been to Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area? Share your experiences!