“Service makes up for aging building”

The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta
Ranked #21 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
San Francisco, California, USA
“Service makes up for aging building”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here for a night after Delta stranded me in the city. Received upgrade to Club Level, complimentary food & bev credit.

The outside of the building is pretty ugly, and the rooms are rather small and showing their age. The restaurant/bar is solid, nothing amazing. But the top-notch service all-around makes up for it.

Reliable hotel, just don't expect anything out-of-this-world amazing. If I was spending big bucks, I'd stay at Buckhead. (Is that why they call it buckhead? dunno not from around here)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of August and found the service to be outstanding! I upgraded to the club level and was not disappointed with the quality of the food and the tremendous hospitality of the staff there. In truth, the property itself is nice but is on the low end of the Ritz-Carlton scale. The rooms and the building in general are very standard. If you get a good room rate this is a great place to stay but if the rates are high I would think twice :-)

Naples, Florida
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this Ritz Carlton each year while on business in downtown Atlanta. If you're expecting a large lavish hotel like that in Naples Florida or other cities, this one is very different! The hotel is very small and the service is very personalized. I think of it as it is an upscale boutique hotel.

If you traveling solo on business like I do, it has a very cozy lobby bar where you can meet up with business clients or friends, and this location also offers coffee and pastries first thing in the morning which is very handy.

I am not a huge fan of the restaurant, and I've tried it several times. It is very expensive, and the food quality is middle-of-the-road as compared to other fine restaurants. The bar does offer a limited menu, and in a pinch I find that very handy and the menu items,soups and sandwiches are very good. The wait staff are very helpful and friendly.

I love the rooms there. The beds are super comfortable and and the rooms are impeccably clean. One interesting complaint, the bathroom sink is mounted above the counter top, which makes it difficult to lean over and use comfortably, as it is very high.
Since that was my only criticism, I return there each year when I travel to the downtown Atlanta area. Keep in mind this is not a new hotel, but more traditional and just a nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jan w
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here recently for 5 nights, combining business with pleasure. The service was excellent, the rooms very nice and the location was perfect for business and pleasure. Each time we entered the hotel during our August summer stay, we were provided with a cold bottled water! I highly recommend this property!

Room Tip: I wanted to stay on Club level but it was booked!
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent a night during a wedding event at the hotel. The service was excellent from the time that we entered the building until we entered our car to leave. Our room was comfortable, clean, and quiet. We had lunch at the Atlanta Grill. The food was good, but service was a little slow. All of the events related to the wedding, reception, and breakfast were carried out with professionalism and excellent service. All of the meal functions were excellent, as well. I would recommend this hotel to others and will definitely stay here, again.

I didn't leave the hotel to find other food venues due to the nature of my visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, nice lobby area, and the Atlanta Grill was a very nice venue with good food. We had a lovely corner room, and the beds are amazing! I'd stay here again as the location is great. The staff are all very attentive and will assist you with any questions at any time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I recently spent 4 nights here in conjunction with a conference. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly! I was greeted warmly each time I came back to the hotel which means a lot when you are traveling on business. I didn't use the robe in the closet, but am always glad to see one there. Getting two papers every morning was wonderful! I was especially happy to be able to pick up a NY Times Sunday edition by the elevator to enjoy at the end of the day. My bed was comfortable and the bathroom had all the requisite bath supplies, but I did notice that the towels felt a little thin and a couple I had were beginning to fray, which is not what I expect at a hotel of this reputation. My room had a wireless phone in it that had an antennae on it which reminded me of a phone I probably owned in the 1990's. The dust ruffle on my bed was frayed in several places and I noticed on my last night that the bottom sheet on the side of the bed I wasn't sleeping on had a faded stain of some sort on it. Ugh. I had a wonderful chair with ottoman for reading which I really appreciated in the evening. My room had a nice view which included the GP building across the street. I did meet friends one evening for a glass of wine in the lobby bar which is expensive ($14 for a glass of sauvignon blanc) but lovely and conducive to relaxing and talking. I love the look and feel of older hotels, but this one definitely needs a facelift soon.