“good property tough to get to on a cruising night”

The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta
Ranked #21 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
NoCal
“good property tough to get to on a cruising night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

stayed here for two nights, walking in, an employee asked if I wanted champagne. Valet was fast, check in the same and everything was explained. Being a first time at the Ritz, up to the room, clean and elegant. Got the car out of valet fairly quickly. Bottled water at the valet stand. Upon return, I noticed you needed to use your card key to use the elevator. Funny, cause when I got to my floor, there was a young lady who did not fit the Ritz customer look who sauntered to the other end of the hall. I slipped into my room. The hallway lights was bright as it shined through the gap of the bottom of the door. Ah, a bath towel fixed that. Noticed there was no electrical outlets by the bed stand, I think mentioned in one of the reviews. Turndown service was good, replacing items that had been used. Breakfast was good and included with my rate. The second day, I spoke to Harold, the omelette station chef, very personable. Fitness center was clean with newer machines, bottled water and fruit. Only thing I would mark down, but it was not hotel related, was the traffic jam trying to get to the hotel Saturday night. Seems like everyone and their mother was cruising down Peachtree. Everything was fine with checkout and while checking my folio once I arrived home, I noticed an additional breakfast charge. I called the hotel who referred me to accounting. Cassandra from accounting said she could not look up my reservation, so I emailed her my confirmation on the spot. The next day, I received an email that the charge was reversed. Three days after that, the reverse charge was on my credit card account. Oh, did not notice that the business center was closed on the weekend, to print the boarding pass. The desk directed me to the smaller business center on the first level, did the trick. First stay at a Ritz, makes me consider staying at Ritzs on my next travels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelingChumley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

The hotel is in good shape due to recent renovations. They've gotten away from the traditional Ritz-Carlton look. The stay was very nice. The rooms were simplistic yet elegant. The staff is very knowledgable about the downtown area and local attractions. The valet and doorman are too aggressive in their greeting you. It is almost overkill. The Atlanta grille-the only hotel restaurant- isn't worth the money you pay for the worth. You are paying the for the Ritz-Brand not the food quality.

• Stayed May 2013
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was in town for business last week and stayed at the Ritz in downtown Atlanta. I was very impressed. The staff was excellent and made me feel like I was at home. When I arrived, they took my bags and handed me a beer in the lobby. How cool is that. I ordered room service twice and was impressed by the food. I was also impressed that the staff provided this great service and never acted like they wanted a tip. Most hotels you get that feeling. I was more inclined to tip because of this fantastic attitude. I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

The staff was wonderful and very helpful. We were welcomed right away and we hardly had to lift a finger. The room was very quiet and nice. The bed was very soft and we found ourselves sleeping about 10 hours each night which is very long for us. It was over the weekend so it was not very busy, but the price was right and we had wanted to see Atlanta. We would definitely come back again. The immediate walking area was not as nice as I had expected (lots of people looking for you to "help them out" with money), unlike downtown Chicago and New York City where we've never had problems like it. Not the hotels fault at all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in the middle of the week and the hotel was not very busy. The location is in downtown Atlanta, a few blocks from the Olympic Park and next to the Peachtree center. Valet service for our car was $32/night. The room, while immaculate, was less contemporary in style. Regardless, the service is what you would expect from the Ritz-Carlton brand. The staff at the front desk remembered our names, the housekeeping was great, the valet service gave great directions to restaurants, and even the maintenance staff went out of their way to greet us. They really go the extra mile to make your stay pleasant. Aside from the style, which isn't my taste, I would have preferred access to a pool.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Ok, so the Ritz is supposed to be Great , right. Not so here. I attended a networking conference in Atlanta and was quite surprised to find the rooms very expensive and outdated. First of all the building is old, not in a historical way, but in a 1970's way. Very unappealing. The rooms at a Residence Inn are larger, better appointed, and are much less expensive. Beware, the rooms at the Ritz have a stocked refrigerator, but do NOT remove anything from the refrigerator, even for a few moments unless you are intent on purchasing it, since there is a sensor which automatically charges the item to your room and you will be disputing charges when you check out. You would never know this, unless, you read all the fine print on the refrigeartor placard. Make sure you don't get charged for a bottle of water inadvertantly either. My particular room had a droning noise from an air conditioning unit in the next room which pulsed on and off all night. I reported it, but to no availl. Everything here is expensive. Breakfast was $25 for a buffet plus tip, Really ? for some scrambled eggs, coffee, toast, and some fruit. ugh. Bar just as expensive. You can eat out if you hike it across the street to the shopping mall, but to get there you have to walk about half a mile down and around a highway over a bridge, otherwise you have to run the guantlet across an enormous intersection. Not recommended. Be Careful. The staff were plentiful and courteous, but how many times do you need someone to open a door or say hello. I must say that I would have preferred to have stayed at a Residence Inn, but none were nearby. This Ritz was quite a hike from the Atlanta Airport and the cab fare which was pricey as well. Not coming back..........

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you can avoid it..............
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank M M
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a long weekend to celebrate a family wedding taking place at 200 Peachtree, across the road from the hotel.
We were greeted so politely by the staff, who were fantastic throughout our stay.
The lobby is lovely, and is classy, modern and sophisticated.
My only negative is that the rooms and bathrooms are slightly outdated, and they need a bit of a refresh.
The bedding is fantastic, and after arriving there following a 16 hour flight to Atlanta, we slept really well.
The location is not my first choice in Atlanta, however due to all the wedding activities centered around downtown, it really was convenient.

Room Tip: we stayed on the 22nd floor, and the views were great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family