“You’ve got to be kidding!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta
Ranked #20 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Norfolk, Virginia
“You’ve got to be kidding!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Ritz Carlton has long been regarded as a 5-star hotel chain. That rating and reputation was earned decades ago. What has Ritz done for me lately … today?
The mattress in my room had a sag in it. And, when I moved, on occasion I would hear that ‘boing’ sound of a mattress spring. Upon investigation, the mattress had a thick pad covering, incased in a plastic or cellophane. The towels appeared to be thick, but were rough and scratchy … like they had been starched. The Ritz bathrobe was thin … with the feeling of having been starched.

The main entrance to the Ritz is on Peachtree Street. The doors to that entrance are locked between 10:00 and 10:30 pm. There is no sign to inform you about the locked doors, nor as a hotel patron are you informed of the locked doors. As I was returning from some Atlanta nightlife, and couldn’t enter via the fixed or revolving doors, a passerby was kind enough to inform me that the doors were locked at night and that I had to go around the building to the automobile drive-up entrance to enter.

The hotel staff were courteous. I had a very enjoyable meal and cocktails at its restaurant (Atlanta Grill) and lounge (Lumen – Lobby Bar), which are rated separately. But, the best thing this Ritz has going for it right now is location. It has a great downtown location less than ½ block from the Peachtree Center Metro Station. Should I return, it would be because of location. This is closer to a 3- than a 5-Star joint.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just had my second stay here and do agree that in general the property is attractive and thestaff is good. The rooms are nice and they provide HD TV. I found the beds very soft and that is uncomfortable to me. Restaurant on site was OK for breakfast and sub par for dinner.

We did have a rather vexing time with the "free car service." The person who handled this was clearly out of her depth and should not have been interacting with customers. We inquired about Buckhead and were informed that the service did not go that far. With a different inquiry we were told the car was busy handling a ride to the airport. So, Buckhead no but airport yes? This was really irritating and it happened twice. It was pretty clear that this "guest service" just was not available.

We were in town on business so this was a great location for walking. This hotel is good. But, Ritz Carlton is supposed to be great, right?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I attended a busienss meeting recently and stayed at this hotel as a result. From the moment I checked in to check out problems occured which did not reflect the high standard the Ritz Carlton promises its guests. As a Marriott Platnum Guest I arrived at 3:15 PM for check in which at this property 3 PM is the appointed check in time to find my room was not ready. The front desk then tried to assign me another room keeping me at the front desk area for over 35 mintues! In addition to the time they asked me countless questions regarding my preferences etc which are all included in my Marriott Profile and reservation. The result was a standard room assignment on the 8th floor, keep in mind my preferences are a high floor, upgrade along with other requests but none delivered. The front desk staff recongnized my displeasure and sent a cheese plate up which was a nice touch, however this process was unacceptable. The room was standard and the housekeeping service spotty at best with no replenishment of items such as shampoo, conditioner, soap etc. Also on one of the days upon my return I found my room door with the dead bolt engaged and door open !! This security violation is totally unacceptable, and glad to report I had no items missing. I have complained to Marriott and would not recommend this property you can do much better at one of the other hotels such as the Westin Peachtree across the street! The hotel rooms need updating big time and the staff needs a course in customer relations. Major dissppointment that I won't repeat anytime soon!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel such as the Westin Peachtree!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MEProfenno
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Yes, this hotel is a bit expensive but oh,oh so worth it! From check in to room and special ammenities, to answered questions, to hailing a cab or giving you a quick local ride, even providing me with a wheel chair to use! If you go the extra mile with the Club - it is a wonderful deal! An all around wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel was in a GREAT location! There was plenty to do within walking distance. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only complaint I have was the pillows, feather pillows; they were uncomfortable and not much help sleeping on. When we called for different pillows there were not any, the hotel was booked and all available non-feather pillows were already taken.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Have stayed in many 5 star hotels but this particular Ritz is perfect in its execution of service. Ritz himself would be very proud. Room was not spectacular but the amenities, service and staff were not lacking in any way whatsoever. Concierge and front desk staff, door staff - all well done.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

You shouldn't have to buy a suite to get a good size room. I figured club level would get me a decent room but this room is something I'd pay $175 per night! My bathroom barely fit me and I'm 5'1, 115 lbs! Much less my Hubby and I! Great service though, excellent restaurant and bar. Address not listed correctly for GPS but that's a whole other story...

• Stayed October 2012