“My new favorite downtown Atlanta Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta
Ranked #21 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Ormond Beach, FL
“My new favorite downtown Atlanta Hotel”
Reviewed January 14, 2008

My new absolute favorite hotel in downtown Atlanta is the Ritz-Carlton. I go to the Gift Show every January at the AmericasMart downtown and have stayed in a variety of downtown hotels. For the few dollars more per night than the other places I've stayed Downtown it is totally worth it (keeping in mind I get a show-rate -- while it's not cheap, it is better than the ridiculous prices they usually get ).

The proximity to the Mart is enough to make it worth it - the only thing closer is the Westin that is actually connected by an indoor bridge to the Mart and the Westin is across the street from the Ritz. You only have to be outside in the January cold less than 3 minutes if the light to cross is against you - less than 1 minute if not!

Check-in was smooth - my room was even ready (had never happened in any other hotel in all the years I've been going to Atlanta) and I was offered a beverage while checking in.

The room was very nice, but I wouldn't say there was much that set it apart from any of the nicer hotels I've stayed, room-wise (besides a live orchid in the bathroom and a couple things I'll mention below). What really set the hotel apart (for me) is the top-notch, courteous service - everyone from the maids to the desk to any employee you crossed paths with greeted you with a smile and asked how your day was going and wished you a good day. Not an askance service attitude anywhere - not even once.

The coolest thing (this is silly, but it was cool to me) was when I got back to my room after dinner the first night, turn-down service had been there, the lighting in the room was subdued, the TV was on a relaxing music channel and chocolates on the pillow - but here's the cool part - I called down to leave my wake-up call time and also asked where the ice on my floor was located. I hung up, picked up the ice bucket and found that there was already ice in it!

There were also little bottles of complimentary water all over the room as well as a reasonable, well-stocked mini-bar and a tea and coffee caddy full of a variety of teas and coffee choices with a one-cup water heater. I had read the room amenities online before I'd left home and saw that there was a CD player in the room, so I brought a classical CD with me and enjoyed very much having that playing when I returned to the room at night and while I dressed in the morning. Very relaxing. If I hadn't brought a CD with me, I could have listened to the "romantic piano" CD that was provided. I didn't use it, but there was a Hi-speed access connection at the desk in the room and a cordless phone.

I ordered room service breakfast and coffee the night prior and it was delivered exactly on time and my wake-up calls were right on time each morning as well. I dined at the Atlanta Grille with friends - the restaurant in the Ritz - and found the service and food to be perfect. The lobby and lobby bar were lovely and the elevators are key-access only. When I saw that the fitness center was located across the hall from my room (409), I was concerned with early morning noise, but it was no bother at all (it looks like any other room door and is also key-access; I meant to have a look, but never did).

There were only a couple minor problems - the light on the magnifying make-up mirror blew out the first morning and I called to the desk for it to be replaced and it wasn't. And the air conditioner in the room had an occasional funny whirring noise like a loud CD spinning up in a player. I was either too tired to notice it at night or it only did it in the early hours of the morning. If I'd been staying there longer, I would have tried harder to fix that or something.

The Gift Show is a grueling experience and a little pampering at the end of the day is very welcome. I will certainly plan to stay there again and hope my next experience is just as nice.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 6, 2007

I stayed at the Ritz in downtown Atlanta for a business trip, and this hotel is top notch. The customer service is excellent, and all of the little things that the hotel does makes a great choice for a business traveler. The fitness room is superb with clean and up to date workout equipment. Room service was fantastic and the food was wonderful. I truly enjoyed my stay at the Ritz!

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank tcuckt
San Francisco
Reviewed October 19, 2007

I have no idea how they slapped the Ritz Carlton name on this place. We stayed here for a wedding and left the next morning to stay elsewhere.

The overall feeling coudl be termed "Laura Ashley Goes Ghetto."

The whole place is completely dated. Room was unclean, musty, furnishings tired and loaded with scratches, dings, stains. Stains on the carpets, stains on the drapes, wallpaper and an overall dirty feeling. Tiny TV circa 1985, broken clock radio, absurdly small bathroom (also not clean) with dated fixtures, no water pressure and not enough space to turn around.

Come on Ritz Carlton -- this place is a very poor reflection on your brand.

Nice staff, but obvious they were working from a script and pretty uninspired to be working in such a dump.

• Stayed October 2007
4 Thank ByronDreams
North Carolina
Reviewed October 8, 2007

The Ritz was wonderful! Helpful staff that treated myself, husband, and ten month old baby like royalty. We had champagne and strawberries in our room when we arrived as well as a bag of goodies for our son! The bed was very comfortable and the room was very nice. We wished they had a hot tub, but the fitness center is nice. The Atlanta Grill is excellent and we enjoyed our room service breakfast. I cannot say enough good things about the hotel and will stay at any Ritz Carleton in the future!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — no hot tub or pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank lambchop30
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I have stayed here about five times for the last year for business. My business has an office attached to the hotel, so it is convenient.

The hotel is clean and the service is exceptional. the wake up calls and in service dining is always timely and courteous. that is the hotel's greatest asset. The last time I stayed (last month), I was there for over a week. The staff learned my name and tastes rather quickly and seemed to anticipate my needs. I appreciated that.

the lobby is beautiful, but quite small. I was surprised by that.

other than that, i would not call the hotel exceptional - certainly not like other ritz properties or the four seasons in atlanta (which I stayed at once when the ritz was booked). It is only very clean and professionally run.

i would stay here again (and expect to soon) for business, but wouldn't seek it out as a "luxury retreat."

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — the exorbinant charge for internet (only worth it if the company is paying the bill!).
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank dcm58
Lawrence
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I left the hotel on a similar note to the one i entered on, disappointed.
I was disappointed in the lack of that luxurious feeling you usually get when in the lobby of a Ritz. And I left in a hurry because the lack of service included (but wasn't limited to) a missed wake up call.
The room was nice, but not spectacular which is how I'd describe the restaurant as well.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank kueric09
Beaufort, SC
Reviewed August 26, 2007

The Ritz in Atlanta was wonderful. We were treated extremely well and the very knowledgeable staff went above and beyond with everything they did. This hotel is so close to everything being downtown. The elevators are operated by room key access at all times of the day which is obviously very helpful for security purposes. Unfortunately, you have to use your key even to ride down in the elevators to other floors which was annoying at times - but still great for security. The Bulgari toiletries were fabulous & restocked appropriately. Nightly turndown service is great and makes your room seem very relaxing after a long day.

• Liked — The bed was extremely comfortable!
  • Disliked — Charge to use wireless internet in your room.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple