“J.W. Marriott Buckhead - A BUST!”

Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #113 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Birmingham, AL
“J.W. Marriott Buckhead - A BUST!”
Reviewed February 19, 2007

My husband and I were visiting Atlanta for our anniversary using Marriott Rewards points. I requested a high floor but they put us on the 4th floor. The front desk staff was rude and every request was greeted with aggitation. We requested information on an event and the concierge never called us back. We finanally had to go to the Concierge desk and ask him but he was so overwhelmed. Didn't know if he was coming or going. They also charged our debit card instead of our credit card for incidentals which we were told by the front desk manager that he would correct the problem and come Monday morning the charge went through. This staff was the laziest group I've ever encountered. The room was nice. The parking attendent harrassed you every time you left the parking garage asking if you had paid for parking in advance. We'll NEVER stay at this location again. Not worth the hassle.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank lookingforromance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed October 30, 2006

I stayed at this hotel from October 19th through the 22nd on business.

As soon as I walked into the lobby there was an irate man at the front desk complaining about how hard it was too find and angry that his room was not ready....it was 9:30 in the morning. True the hotel could have better signage closer to the street....my taxi driver would have passed it up had I not glanced to the left and noticed the sign.

To me the staff at the front desk was very, very nice. I arrived early and they stored my luggage while I went to a day long conference. When I returned later that evening my luggage was there waiting for me and my room was ready.

The room was a nice size for me (Room 209). The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was very clean. I had wake-up calls daily and they were pleasant on the phone and on time, every time.

The complimentary breakfast each morning was great!!! I really appreciated it and the complimentary newspapers and magazines.

I was addressed by name each time I came back from my conferences and they even let the co-worker driving me around (not staying at the hotel), sit with me and other conference members at breakfast and have a free coffee and muffin.

My only negative points are as follows:
1 - Small roach on the shower curtain.
2 - Some sticky patches on the carpet near kitchen (wear slippers!)
3 - Kitchen drawers should be cleaned out better.
4 - Card key for the room failed on two different nights.
5 - Placard inside closet stated room rate was 179 but I was charged 189. When I questioned it they said they must have forgotten to change it to reflect their new rates....but I think I should have been given the 179 rate.
6 - Small sign keep your eyes peeled.

• Liked — Staff hospitality - Complimentary breakfast daily
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Maeva3
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We had two rooms, a penthouse and a studio. The layouts of the rooms are nice and convenient. The rooms are spacious. However, the maid service was less than desirable. They didn't come in for three days in a row, and they often forgot little things like leaving clean towels or emptying the trash or replenishing the toilet paper stock.

When we called the front desk to request more towels, we were told to come get them ourselves and then they hung up. On another occassion, we requested more towels for the pool area, and it took more than an hour for any to arrive (and this was after 3 additional requests).

The hotel is covered in bugs. Both of the rooms we had experienced problems with cockroaches and all sorts of other bugs, especially spiders. The stairs up to the rooms were covered in cobwebs, and each morning we had to brush them away just to get out the door.

One night during our stay, the hotel lost power. There was no generator or anything, so we were forced to go without any electricity for the night. Navigating the rooms in the dark was not an easy task.

The complimentary breakfast was good. The food was good and they kept everything well stocked. The service was not bad.

All in all, I would probably not reccomend this hotel to anyone. The price is a little too high for the service and conditions we experienced.

• Stayed July 2006

Travelers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2006

This hotel is in a fairly convenient location and like others in this chain is best suited for extended stays. However, the room and property overall was showing its age. Building trim could use painting, and rooms had sratched and marred cabinets. A/C vents had a black substance on them. Improvement could be made in the presentation of breakfast and evening meals to make them more appetizing. Even though the staff was friendly and helpful, overall, I didn't think this hotel was a very good value.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sunny Florida
Reviewed March 3, 2006

I was a little hesitant to stay at this hotel because there was only one review on TripAdvisor at the time I made the reservation. I am SO glad I did.

The front desk and staff were friendly, efficient and gracious. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the grounds were spotless.

Regarding the last review about the room not being available for late check in; I have worked in management for high end resort properties for many years. It is VERY common for those who arrive late not to have a room available. There are several reasons for this. The occupants of the room are legally in possession of it and as long as they are paying for it can never be removed for an incoming reservation. The reviewer said to beware or you will not have a room. That was not the case here - she was offered a room (albiet not what she had requested). It's quite frustrating and a huge annoyance but sometimes these types of things cannot be controlled. If you can ever manage it, always, always arrive early in the day. Even if the room is not clean or available, you can check in and know for sure you have the room you originally requested. The front desk can store your luggage until the room is ready for occupancy.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding. Everything was replenished as soon as it started getting low. There were scrambled eggs, sausage, french toast, pastries, muffins, yogurt/granola bar, cereals, fruits and so much more. A tremendous bargain included in the room rate!

I highly recommend this property. It is close to anywhere you need to go in the Buckhead area. Excellent choice.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank OCarr
Parkland, FL
Reviewed February 19, 2006

We recently stayed at this property. We had a guaranteed reservation for a penthouse room. We have 2 young sons and like the more spacious room setup. It is worth the extra money for us. We booked this room through the Marriott Rewards website and stated a 10pm arrival. We called before we left(around 5pm) and stated we would be arriving around 11pm. They confirmed at the front desk that they hold all reservations until midnight. When we arrived we were told the room was not available because the hotel was overbooked. They offered to send us to another property for an equivalent room but we would only be there one night and we would have to relocate the next day. As it was after 11pm now and we decided to reluctantly take their second offer of staying in 2 separate studio rooms for one night, (my husband and I each took a child) and then we would be given the room we booked for the next two nights. They gave us a discount of 40 dollars for the first night, and that was it. When you travel just for a quick weekend, you really do not want to move around from room to room. We attempted to speak with the manager the night of arrival and the day of departure, and he was unavailable. (He was off duty all weekend). Needing a little customer service training, the front desk, on the date of departure, now gave us another excuse why they did not have our room. Apparently there was another family that decided to extend their stay and they have priority over existing reservation because they are already in the room. We travel about once a month and have stayed in many properties, including Marriott, and this is a first for us. Marriott customer care was sympathetic and hopefully will address this matter with corporate but ultimately this is a property issue.
We check the tripadvisor reviews before we stay anywhere. We did not pay attention that this hotel was rated based only on one review. We will know better next time.
The property was fairly clean and staff was pleasant. The breakfast spread was typical Residence Inn fare. The hotel is in need of refurbishment. The parking for many of the rooms is very far away. Please beware you may not have a room, even with a credit card guarantee.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank floridafam4
las vegas
Reviewed April 16, 2005

Was there on business for 3 weeks. The staff is wonderful. There is nothing that they will not do for you. The breakfast is a full meal to start off the day. The maid service is excellent walking thru the door after a busy day everything is just right. I loved the free internet access. This hotel is in a very quite setting and just right for the business traveler.

10 Thank overtimequeen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Buckhead
Quality Suites Buckhead Village
SpringHill Suites Atlanta Buckhead

Been to Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead? Share your experiences!