“This place is a gem...”

Ranked #112 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia
“This place is a gem...”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

This place is a absolute gem for the price. My family traveled to Atlanta to spend the Christmas holiday recently, and we initially chose this hotel because of the reasonable price and the fact that they don't charge for parking (unusual for Atlanta hotels, we soon learned). This place was an absolute haven for us for our vacation. We rented one of the studio rooms, and had more than enough space for the four of us, comfortably (king bed for the adults, comfortable sleeper for the kids). The fireplace was a really nice touch as well, and it was so relaxing to be able to sit and watch the fire burn as we relaxed in our 'holiday haven', as we came to call it. The room was exceptionally clean. There were plenty of supplies available if needed (ie. dish detergent, coffee, sugar, pots, pans, etc.), and whatever was lacking was quickly remedied with a call to housekeeping.

I think that the part that made this visit most memorable for us was the staff. They were so warm and welcoming, and frequently went out of their way to ensure that we were comfortable and had everything we needed. We have visited many nice hotels that have gorgeous grounds and look so beautiful from the outside, but were very much lacking with the warmth and professionalism of their staff. This place absolutely does not have that problem. Staff is so crucial to a business, and can literally make or break the guest's experience with that hotel. This staff was just fantastic, and we so appreciated everything that they did for us, and especially how they made us feel during our stay with them. I would think that, simply because of proximity to the downtown area, other hotels might get chosen first before this one, but I'm so glad that we went with our first instinct and went with this location. The staff here is just exceptional at what they do, and that means so much for a busy family looking for a relaxing, rejuvinating holiday getaway.

We weren't able to use the pool or whirlpool this go-round, because they were both located outside and it was cold during our stay, but I would imagine that it would be a nice addition to your vacation when the weather allows. Internet access was available in the hotel lobby, and there was also free internet access in your room for the duration of your stay as well... my teens especially appreciated this part. The breakfast buffet was nice (sausage, eggs, french toast, bagels, yogurt, cereal, etc.). We saved sooo much money staying here, being able to cook our own meals and have such a lovely breakfast prepared for us each morning as well. Downtown is just a hop, skip and a jump away, literally. You can take Piedmont to Peachtree, and end up at the Lenox Place Mall in one direction and downtown Atlanta in the other, both within a few minutes. Taking Peachtree into downtown also allows you to see alot on the way, and learn where other attractions are located in the process.

Our family always goes Marriott when we travel, and up until now, we'd almost exclusively stayed at Fairfield Inn. This experience has definitely given us a new respect for Residence Inn, and we will absolutely use this chain again AND return to this location for another Atlanta family getaway. Excellent stay!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Atlanta
Reviewed August 10, 2009

My daughter was celebrating her thirteenth birthday and wanted a celebration to include a sleepover and shopping at nearby Lenox and Perimeter Malls with a few of her friends. I booked two rooms, a bi-level loft for the party girls, and a studio apartment just next to the loft.

We had no problems with the staff or hotel facility. The rooms were very clean, as was the pool and hotel grounds. It is an older property, so if you're expecting glitz and glamour, this may not be the place for you ( It reminds me of a camping lodge, because it's bordered by trees at the back of the property). However, for price and location, this place is fine. In addition to the pool, there is a small basketball court onsite. So if you have older kids or teens, there is someplace to keep them active.

The morning of my daughter's birthday, the group went to the hotel lobby for breakfast. There is plenty to choose from: waffles, oatmeal, eggs, cereal, and so on. After checking out, the hotel shuttle transported our group to nearby Lenox Mall. The shuttle driver was very friendly.

Speaking of friendly, the hotel staff is among the friendliest I've ever met. The sales manager, Gilbert and all the front-desk associates were as eager to make sure my daughter had a good birthday experience as I was! They handled requests and offered information promptly and reliably. Even my daughter commented on how nice the staff was!

If you are traveling to Atlanta and need a budget-friendly place to stay in the Buckhead area, consider this property.

• Stayed July 2009
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I recently stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn in Buckhead and was decriminated against by the staff their. Not only was I discrminated againt, but other visitors where as well. I am currenly filing a discrimination lawsuit against them because I refuse to be discriminated against in this day and age. For the past five years, I have had functions at the Residence Inn in Atlanta on Peachtree Street and have had a blast, until I visited the one in Buckhead this past weekend. I have never been treated so badly in my life. My guest were so devastated because the hour drive there was not worth it. I know that there aren't many African Americans in that part of Buckhead, but when we do come, we don't have to be treated like aliens. We are all people with feelings.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank tifphillips

Travelers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

East Coast
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I really hestiate to say something negative about places but I have to say the service here was below par. The hotel it's self was pleasant enough to the naked eye but the room was a bit dirty.

We booked this hotel to stay while we were in town to watch a Braves Game. My husband has stayed at Residence several times and for many days at a time. After all this hotel is built towards extend stays.

We checked in around 3pm, which is check in time. We had no problems with check in and the staff was pleasant enough. Nothing over the top not unfriendly.

We had made reservations for 4 and thought we reserved a 2 bed suite. However, this is not what we got. Yes when we made the reservations we had an option and we choose the 2 beds not the king bed. Anyway, once we were in my husband called the front desk and asked did they not have a room available with 2 beds. This is when the front desk became a bit rude. The person that spoke to my husband was not nice and told us for an additional cost we could have a room with double beds. My husband explained we had paid for a room with double beds or chose this when we made our reservations. Needless to say we did not get anywhere. Once this was done and we figured we had to stay in the room I allowed everyone to use the bathroom. The bathroom had trash in the trash can and hair in the tub and sink areas. Now I know for a fact that the long black hair did not belong to anyone in my family because my hair is blonde and the only other one with long hair is my daughter and her hair is not black or coarse.

Due to the fact we had to leave soon for the game we did not take this any farther because they did have a pull out sofa.

After the game we came back to the room to find there were no linens or pillows for the pull out sofa. I called the front desk and once again it appears the people that work there can not take a complaint well. Just because you have to ask for something does not mean you are upset but they were very rude to me. While I understand her questioning I did not appreciate the tone in which I was spoke to. I have to say within 15 minutes we had linens and pillows. We made the bed for the kids to use.

Then I pulled down the bedspread to the King size bed to find the sheets were nasty. By nasty I mean they had huge stains that were sticky on them. I know they were sticky because they were stuck to the bedspread. They refused to give us new sheets. They said they did not have any. I had to take the linens of so we could sleep on the bed. My husband had a blanket in his car and we used it.

The next morning we had the free breakfast. We arrived an hour before breakfast was to end. At this time while the area was clean the food in the hot bids were room temp. They did have make your own waffles but did not have any batter. There was suppose to be someone working in the area but all we could do is hear him. We did have coffee and cereal and fruit.

Check out was easy.

Over all I would say this is one of the nastiest places I have stayed out. Due to time restrictions we did not attempt to get our money back or find a new hotel.

I have not stayed at any of the Marriot Hotels in a long time and I think I will continue to stick with the hotel chain we normally use.

1 Thank timetogonow1
Columbus, OH
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Stayed there for just one night with young children. Was assigned a room that is at the far end corner of the multi-building hotel. It was dark and hard to reach this unit and despite being on the 2nd floor, there is no elevator. Since I just hurt my arms and cannot lift heavy stuffs, this created a not so good situation. I managed with my other good arm but it was tough. Once got on to 2nd floor, I was hit by a few bugs on my face and hair -- not sure what kind.

Room is a one queen with sofa bed. It is very tight, no much room to move around. There is no remote control for the TV. The pool closed at 10pm and since we arrived a little after that, the kids cannot swim and were really disappointed.

Breakfast is okay with limited choices. Servers were unfriendly. We were there about 10 minutes before closing time and they have already taken away the plates and a few items from the serving table. We asked them if they can put them back but they were reluctant until we repeated our request.

Knoxville, TN
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Our young family (three children under the age of 5) travelled along with Dad on a business trip. What a great experience. The front desk staff provides some of the best customer service we have ever seen. My husband, who managed a 350-room hotel, commented he would have loved to have them working at his hotel. Super friendly and very sweet to our children, who for some odd reason are not always appreciated in a business-oriented hotel! :). The breakfast and manager's reception were outstanding - we did not eat out for either of those meals because the hotel provided so much for us to eat. The location of this hotel is wonderful - tucked into a residential area, it is very, very quiet. One side of the property faces out into a woodlot, and we never heard any traffic noise, which made for great sleeping. We were centrally located to some major Atlanta attractions and felt we could not have stayed at a better location. I would have to comment that the furnishings of the room are due for a renovation . The bathrooms had been recently redone, and our bed/bedding was updated and very nice. But that being said - the carpet is worn and the walls and draperies were well worn. Furnishings in general were adequate, but not super luxurious. We were okay with that. A quiet stay, a hearty breakfast, and the nicest most competent staff you could ask for were more important to us. Don't hesitate to stay here. You won't be disappointed.

Lexington, KY
Reviewed April 6, 2009

First this is something I have never done, but I felt it was my duty to write a review of this hotel. My family went to Atlanta for a few days over spring break to see the Aquarium and other local sites. I chose a hotel in the Buckhead area of Atlanta because I knew it was a nice part of town and felt it would be a centrally located to everything. That was all true, however, our hotel was basically a dump. My husband and I have stayed in several Residence Inns over the years and they were always clean, well maintained hotels.

The room was half the size of any other Residence we have stayed at, it was dingy, dirty and in need of a major renovation. The king size bed was sagging in the middle so much you could actually see the sag from across the room. The TV remote "down channel" button did not work, nor did the bathroom sink stopper. The toilet seat was broken as well as the coffee table leg. It rained most of the time we were in Atlanta, however on the one sunny evening we came home to a swarm of bumble bees. There apparently was a large nest in one of the flower beds. There was easily 50 bumble bees swarming the area. This was more like a one star hotel for a three star price. We did make our complaints known to the hotel. Of course they ignored our concerns. Don't stay here!

Susan & Scott Shelton