“Very Happy With Our Stay Overall; One Sore Point”

Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #35 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed here for a business trip to Atlanta. We were pleased with the hotel overall. Nice facility; nicely decorated lobby; impressive atrium; very friendly and efficient front desk staff; clean rooms with nice basic furnishings and appointments; very good and comfortable beds; very nice spa, pool, fitness facilities. A couple of minor points off were that maid service knocked on our door before 8:30am on our last morning to clean the room and we weren't even out of bed yet. We also tried to call room service on our last night and could not get an answer after trying a few times. Front desk did take our order for room service quickly and efficiently when I finally tried calling them. No in-room mini refrigerator, which would have been nice. None of this is a big deal; minor stuff. One sore point is that this hotel wanted to charge $15 per 24 hours of in-room internet service. This just seemed like gouging to us. It's not as if it would cost them anything for us to access their wireless network. You can do it at Red Roof Inn or Starbucks, for heaven's sake, so why not a "4-star hotel"? I was told I could go to the lobby for internet, but would have to pay to use it in my room. Very disappointing experience in an otherwise nice place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Joseph U, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you very much for the review of my hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and will look into why it took so long to get room service. We do have rooms wit a frigerator, the next time you are in town please let our Front Desk staff know that you would like one and we will put you in a room with a frigerator. I will share your feedback on the charges for internet, it is currently a Marriott / Renaissance brand standard to charge in guest rooms an in meeting space. I am sorry that this was a frustration for you. I do hope we have the chance to have you back at the Waverly, thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel for business. We had meetings at the Cobb Galleria, so it was so nice being able to walk to my room. The valet and front desk were so polite and helpful. The lobby was nice and it is a large and clean hotel. When I got to my room, it was very clean and quiet. It was a bit dated, but the beds were comfortable and the room had plenty of space. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. I stayed on the 3rd floor and had a few of the ceiling. Could not see anyt...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for the review of my hotel. I am excited to tell you that we are being renovated as we speak and will have brand new rooms for you the next time you visit. We look forward to having you back at the Renaissance Waverly Hotel.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotels is located close to cobb centre, easy on/off access to interstate, The romm was very roomy, and nice. Close to shopping and restaraunts. 15-20 minutes to downtown. The hotel food was just okay, but over priced. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Joseph U, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to give us this valuable feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay but am dissapointed you found our food to be "just ok". We pride ourselves in serving great food and would love to learn more about your experience. If you have the chance, please call me at 770 303 3186. Thank you again, we hope to see you back at the Renaissance Waverly Hotel!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I wanted to spend a night away from home and pets and decided on the this hotel because it had a spa on site. I was a little leery knowing that this is a big convention hotel and have personally seen a thousand teenagers in it. The front staff was very friendly and prompt, the lobby was well attended. The upper rooms seem to be under construction but that was not bother some. My room was clean, although it might have been a minute since someone had used it, the water was rusty in the beginning. The Spa Waverly was very nice. The locker room was comfortable, clean and relaxing itself. The even have these delicious green apples and lemon water for the guests. (Hotel guests have use of these amenities.). My massage was awesome. Will have to do again. I did enjoy my time in the indoor saltwater pool (it was a great temperature) and hot tub. The fitness area seem well attended (apples and water in there too.) Did not used the sauna but the steam room was a little disappointing, not enough steam.

The lobby is an atrium and they did have a reception that night that carried up to the room but this was finished by eight so it was no bother. Room service was very respectful and accommodating and arrive promptly. The food was good. I had a good night sleep. Although, my television service keep going in and out. Check out that morning was a breeze.

I did enjoy my stay there. if you are traveling to Atlanta, this spot is easily accessible to the Cumberland mall area and downtown. I look forward to doing it again to have another night away.

Room Tip: Request an upper room, close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Joseph U, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay, I am so happy you could get away and enjoy some quality time! The discolored water you experienced was due to some pipe repair we had the night before, I am sorry that you experienced that and want you to know that is not typical. We hope to see you back soon to experience our new rooms!

Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here this past week you don't Priceline. Front desk staff was attentive and prompt and didn't treat us differently because of the Priceline reservation. room was clean large and nicely decorated. The bathroom was fine but nothing special. My only negative was with the valet. I had to wait for him to take the car and I had to wait for him to bring the car around.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Joseph U, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding the Renaissance Waverly Hotel. I am sorry for the delay in getting / retrieving your car, I will follow up with my team and share your feedback. We hope to see you back soon, Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hotel overall is a great facility. I liked the room and the size of the room. The room was a little dated and the beds were very uncomfortable, but they are currently going through a renovation, so this should not be a problem much longer. My main issue was the service. My first impression of the hotel is what I would call the valet "mafia." I just wanted to leave my car out front long enough to get checked into the hotel. The valet made me give him my key. There were several cars parked out front, which I later realized were valet customers whose cars were staying in front of the hotel and would not be moved. The check in staff was very nice and courteous. Very thorough explaining all their policies, etc. When I went back outside to move my car, I had to wait on my keys and it was obvious they were expecting a tip. After we got into our room, it was late, so we decided to just go to the restaurant in the hotel, Medici. Service was awful and we seemed to be an inconvenience for our waiter. Both mornings at breakfast in the Atrium Cafe, we received the same type of service. On Saturday evening, after returning from dinner, parking was a nightmare. Valet had taken all of the handicapped parking places at the hotel we were told we had to park in the deck which is a very long walk back through the hotel to the lobby elevators. This is not acceptable. But, my worst experience was in the lobby the morning of our check out. Apparently a guest had some type of issue. I do not know what it was, but a hotel employee (I think they were from the food service staff, maybe a chef) was working with them and appeared very put out with the guest. Situations like this happen, but what I found totally unprofessional was after hotel employee spoke with the guest again and coming to no solution, he walked back over the the front desk and told the front desk person that he was not dealing with this [--]. Totally unprofessional.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Joseph U, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback, it is very helpful to hear about the experience our customers have had. I am very dissapointed with what you have described, particularly with the service in my hotel. It is not typical and I would like to learn more to enable me to follow through on your experience. If possible I would like to speak to you to learn more details. I can be reached at 770 303 3186. I am very sorry for your experience and hope to have the chance to have you back to the Renaissance Waverly Hotel.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for my boyfriend's Bday weekend. It has a nice feel to it once you enter the lobby. The atmosphere was very nice. The restaurant in the hotel was very clean and cozy and the food was quite yummy. The hotel bar was a little uninviting as the service there was neither warm nor hospitable. The decor is a little outdated, i.e. - the carpets need to be replaced. The room itself was decent, clean, and comfortable. However, the bathroom could use some updating (the tub was rusting). Also, I would recommend that they at least put a little fridge and microwave in the rooms. I didn't even have anywhere to keep my boyfriend's Bday cake:(. My biggest beef with the hotel was that we were not informed until AFTER we arrived at the hotel that there would be EXTREMELY loud construction being done on the 10th floor. When I made my reservation online I specifically asked for a high floor room. And we were. Except we were put on the 9TH floor right below the loud banging and construction being done at 8:30am until 6pm everyday we were there. I asked the front desk if we could be moved, but to no avail (there were apparently a lot of groups coming to the hotel the same weekend). I appreciate the hospitality of the housekeepers, valets, waitresses and waiters, and front desk employees. However, every other part of our stay was just not enjoyable and we won't be returning.

Room Tip: DO NOT ask for a high floor room as they are doing construction on the upper floors until April 2013...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Joseph U, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such detailed feedback, I really appreciate it! I am sorry that you experienced some noise while we renovate the hotel, though we do not expect there to be much disturbance, you clearly experienced some. Please call me directly when you have some time, I would like to invite you and your boyfriend to come back to the hotel once we have completed the work in the rooms and experience the reinvented Renaissance Waverly Hotel!