“Nice hotel with one bad night”

Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #43 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Columbia SC
“Nice hotel with one bad night”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This hotel is a well kept property. It is comfortable and clean. The restaurants are nice but expensive (no surprise). Our first night was marred by a very wedding party that stayed up till after 5 in the morning. This was aggravated by the fact that the hotel is a very high atrium design and the noise echoed to every level. The hotel night security seemed to have little influence on the partiers. It is hard to blame the hotel for this, but they might have second thoughts about hosting a group like this again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Axsdata

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Paducah, Kentucky
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I hope this is a warning to others. I was planning to attend a convention in September in Atlanta, GA. I booked at this hotel in February earlier this year. 3 days before I was to leave for the convention, the hotel emailed me stating they could not honor my reservations, but had moved me to another of their chain hotels some miles away. This was unacceptable due to the convention being in this hotel. I called and talked to management and was told that YES, we did purposely overbook the hotel, and that YES this is Marriott company policy. I was also told I would receive a call from the hotel manager the next day. This did not happen, nor would the initial front end manager answer her phone or return any voice mails. BEWARE, a confirmation number with Marriott means nothing. I am appreciative of the early warning however, as I was able to completely cancel the trip and cut at least some of my expense losses.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank cloudcrystal
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I returned to Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel for one night (business) on October 4, 2011. This is a great hotel - check-in, bell staff, front desk staff, quiet, spacious room, clean, comfortable, as well as The Atrium Cafe and Medici restaurants food and service. I would definitely stay at Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank td1208
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a convention. It is a great hotel if you have a convention that is at the Galleria Center. Really easy to move around from Center to hotel. Right across from shopping mall and on main streets and freeways.
Likes: Check in was easy and they gave me rooms with a conjoining door that I asked for when I made the reservation in February. They also let me check in WAY early into one of my rooms that was already clean so we could unload our things. All staff was super nice. Free parking is always great. The indoor pool, fitness area, steam room, sauna and locker rooms were probably my favorite part. I loved the open lobby. Beds seemed very clean and were very comfortable. TV was large flat screen and they provided Aveda products for the toiletries. I ate at the Tosca Bar, one of three restaurants in lobby, and it was good, but kinda pricey.
Dislikes: No free wi-fi internet in rooms and I couldn't even get it to work in the lobby where it was free. Only 5 elevators- not good for VERY crowded convention. The noise, because all the rooms doors face lobby was annoying, but couldn't really be helped and I could hear when other rooms ran the water.
I had been wanting to stay at this hotel since I was a kid (from the area) and I was pretty pleased.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank soeastmama
Rome, GA
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I've stayed at the Renaissance before but to be honest, there are nicer hotels for about the same amount in the area. The one big advantage it has is that it often hosts conventions, and it is really nice to be IN the hotel where the convention is taking place.
Which is why we booked our room on February 7, 2011 for a convention 7 months later. We go all year, thinking everything is fine- the convention and everything paid for and ready to go- when, at 2 days before it starts, we get a letter from Jessica Roland that they've run out of rooms and they decided to move us to a hotel we don't even LIKE and will give us a 10.00 coffee coupon or some crap for our trouble IF we stop by the main desk. So we call corporate and they are like, we have your reservation number, everything is fine, we see you in the system, your room is assured. We explained to them how important it was that we be IN THE RIGHT hotel, as my husband, the ONLY DRIVER going, has had bilateral retinal detachment and cannot drive or see well to walk outside after dusk. Corporate told us that the room was there and was reserved, and that if we had been bumped, due to something really horrid, that we'd be comped if we had to stay elsewhere. Well, long story short- our trip was ruined. They stuck us in a hotel we had to stay in because everything else was sold out, and it was really a total bummer and not safe for my husband. To make it worse, they were not even nice- there were some others that got 'bumped' too and we overheard the desk telling people "yes, I know you had reservations but we had to Randomly select people to move." They weren't even NICE about it, acting like upset customers were being unreasonable to expect a room they'd reserved and maybe even paid for.
HORRIBLE.

Room Tip: Don't expect your reservations to actually work. Get a room somewhere else if you can if you kn...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank skullaria
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2011

If you are around Atlanta for business near this location I do recommend it, but remember this is "out of the beaten path" surrounded by offices and a large mall far from Atlanta center. It is a convention center. I have used this hotel for a couple of years and it is a good business hotels. Nice large rooms, wifi, restaurants and even a small Starbucks. So it is perfect for the business traveller. I would not recommend it however for a leisure trip, unless you have too.

Front desk is mainly attentive but I have had a couple of problems in the past with their attitude, but this was more down to the individual than the hotel.

Potential issue is that the center of the hotel is a great open space with all rooms around up to the ceiling and it could be noisy when they run conferences, presentations and the like in this space, but I have never experienced late meetings. The bar downstairs is a gathering place for all conventions and you can always meet interesting people.

Room Tip: Elevators are located only in one side of the "patio", so if you get the rooms opposite th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business