“Pretty Darn Bad”

Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills
Ranked #92 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I rarely leave bad reviews - well, I never do. But this was pretty bad. Check-in was friendly, but the room was not nice at all.

There were bugs in my room - 2 little spiders and then little black insects in the sheets. I sat ON the bed for 30 minutes, and ended up with 4 large bug bites on my legs, and that's when I noticed the little black insects. They weren't bed bugs - but nonetheless, unacceptable.

They changed my room immediately (which I appreciated), and the 2nd room had no bugs that I could see. I would have changed hotels, but a colleague was staying at the same hotel.

That was frustrating and pretty gross, but the worst part was the management response. I received an un-requested phone call from the manager in the morning, who basically told me that my insect bites were either a reaction to the detergent or mosquito bites.

................................ <----- long silence.

He eventually stopped disputing the insect bites, and offered to comp my room, and I told him that I preferred Hilton HHonors points. His response: "Oh, that's not possible. Hilton doesn't do that. I'll get yelled at by corporate."

Well, 1) Hilton DOES do that - it has happened twice for me.... and 2) You getting yelled at isn't my primary concern.

So bottom line - insects in the room, and rude management. I won't be staying there again, and our travel department has been informed of the low level of service for future reservations.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank sarahcool

Reviewed July 19, 2010

When we arrived at the hotel, the staff was very courteous and offered us drinks and AMAZING fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Our hotel room was pretty clean. The only thing I noticed was some kind of stain on the lamp shade. The beds were very comfortable. The area is a little shady, but hey, it's Atlanta. I never noticed any kind of commotion outside or in the hotel. It was a very comfortable stay and I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2010

I have stayed at a number of Doubletree Hotels in the past few years, and I would say that this one was a bit of a disappointment. While the staff was quite helpful and friendly, my room was a bit dated, and it definitely is not in the same league with the Doubletree Atlanta/Roswell/Alpharetta Hotel. Having spent 2 previous nights there, I was very disappointed in the quality of the room. I probably would not stay at this site again even though it was very close to an appointment I had that day.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2010

GREAT PLACE TO STAY WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS!!
Memorial Day weekend trip to Atlanta was great but with the DoubleTree made it wonderful, I felt secure and safe. They treat you like family and the breakfast and dinner meals were delicious and ;et me not for get to mention the cookies which added a great touch..

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I have been given a job opportunity in Atlanta, but my family lives in Orlando. I first checked in to this property in Early March. They have made me feel right at home. From the front desk, to housekeeping and even the ktichen staff. They treat you like a returning family member. Now that I am commuting weeklly, it is so comforting to know that I have a new family waiting for me every Sunday night when I return.
They ask every day how am I doing? Always concerned that everything is OK. I would reccomend this Hotel to anyone traveling to Atlanta.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I was booked into this hotel by a company I was visiting in Atlanta. The staff was very friendly, and the service was great. The lobby is nice, and the workout room had good equipment. The room was not that great. The hotel sits right next to the interstate, so there's a constant rumble of traffic - even on the 9th floor. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem because I could drown the noise with the A/C fan. However, the fan on the A/C unit did not work properly. It ran as long as the air was on, but it would not run in the "on" position. On the other hand, the toilet seemed to run constantly. I had to "jiggle" the handle multiple times after a flush to make it stop. Also, the hotel has 3 elevator banks, but one elevator was not working. Not a huge problem, but it led to a longer wait.

If I were going to stay in this area again, I'd probably opt for the Hampton Inn just up the road.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank WarEagle2007
Reviewed March 16, 2010

I stayed at this hotel over Holleween weekend since I went to Atl for the first time to visit a law school out there. I booked through hotels.com and got a really nice price. Check-in was fast and the cookie added an extra touch. room was clean, free coffee and coffee maker, free wifi, and neutrgoena hair products. Ice bucket and a mini fridge to keep drinks cold. Bed was very comfy. This place is close to the Art center, John Marshall Law School, and mid-town, down town Atlanta...just access Buford Hwy and it's a straight shoot. CVS, Krystal Burger, Waffle House is close by for late night munchies. Easy accdess to I-20 if one wanted to go the six flags. I found every place I had to go very easily and this was my first time in ATL. The staff was great offering advice on where to go and givingus a cookie everytime we asked (the cookies are banging). I will stay here everytime I visit ATL...no need to look for another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank shanedyra
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Buckhead
Courtyard Atlanta Buckhead
Courtyard Atlanta Buckhead
#91 of 173 in Atlanta
Buckhead
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Buckhead

Been to Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills? Share your experiences!