“Many Redeeming Qualities, A Few Things Lacking”

Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills
Ranked #93 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The front desk and housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable, the furnishings functional and attractive, and the color scheme a calming mix of browns, wheat and light gray. The desk area was very good, with fast wireless connections. There was a useful makeup area next to the closet. The one sink was in the bathroom, which offered limited space, limiting bathing/shower/toilet options to one person at a time.

There was a nice large Panasonic HD TV which was wasted by a non-HD (SD) coax cable connection with a limited selection of channels. This made it difficult to read small type, such as scrolling news headlines and sports scores. Most of the channels we watch at home were not offered.

The shower offered hot water that was just barely warm enough. You won't scald yourself!

To a great extent, the hotel seems to have been freshened in recent years. Most room and lobby furnishings were very clean, attractive, and fresh looking. A few things, like the elevators, cable TV system, door locks, and exterior showed signs of age and wear.

Parking is at a premium, and I certainly believe the folks who wrote about the lot being full in their reviews.

There's a well equipped exercise room.

No free breakfast, but an on-site restaurant that serves breakfast, dinner, and room service.

The location is extremely convenient, and gets the hotel over the hump from three stars up to four for me. Head west on N Druid Hills and you're in Buckhead in 5 minutes. Go south on Buford Hwy and you're in Midtown in 8 minutes. Being right alongside I-85, you have easy access to the northern suburbs. The CDC and Emory are nearby. Coming in our own vehicle from Alabama, I-85 took us right to the hotel's front door at the N Druid Hills exit.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

FairHopeFred

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta Emory Area for your recent stay.

We appreciate the time you took to seek us out on TripAdvisor and for you’re very positive comments. I am very pleased to see that all our services were to your satisfaction and please be assured that your positive comments have already been shared with our team members.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta-North Druid Hills on your next trip to the Atlanta area.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great check in experience. Warm cookies were great. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Good location off I85 for travel into the city for all sightseeing we did and nice to get out of the city at the end of the day. Truffles restaurant nearby had good food and ambiance for reasonable price. There was quite a bit of noise in the conference room area on our floor at 11 PM and one call to the desk quieted it down in minutes.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Lois908

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is not the first time I've stayed here but it's been a while. Soon as I arrived the young ladies greeted me with a smile and conversation. Check in was quick and simple. Room was nice and clean , I requested King but got a queen but no big deal. I love the toiletries they provide. Very good brand. Always love my stay here!

• Stayed: January 2013
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Veda38

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stay away from this hotel if you have valuables. My Mom had very meaningful family jewelry stolen from her suitcase during a weekend stay in which we booked several rooms. It was also unusual that housekeeping went into the room between 9-11pm during the evening and even used the bathroom. The hotel did comp the stay which wasn't nearly worth the replacement value of the jewlery which can never be replaced as it has been passed down through the family. They claimed to be investigating and after a few weeks....still no word. Security and guest safety seem to be an issue at this hotel and there are many other options close by. We will not be honoring Hilton again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank J523144
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Good Afternoon J523144,

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay here and we would like you to know that we do take your claim very seriously. We are currently investigating this incident and our insurance company has been contacted as well.

Please feel free to contact me in the mean time if you have any questions.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

The property is close to Emery University and the CDC. The staff are helpful and the hotel is in good shape. The very odd thing was the lack of parking. In the evening it appeared that people were driving in and leaving because there were no spaces free. I don't know how they deal with that..but I decided to stay rather than chance it. Breakfast las several options with escalating price. I was suprized that they did make omelets. I have forgotten the name of the very nice woman who was working managing breakfast really shared her upbeat personality. It was a good way to start the day. If gluten free there are choices besises the items that you obviously need to avoid.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CeliacTraveler
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Good Morning RachelNJ_333,

Thank you so much for taking the time to find us on TripAdvisor and leave such a positive review. I am very pleased to see that all our services were to your satisfaction and please be assured that your positive comments have already been shared with our team members.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We were impressed with this hotel from the start, but continued to appreciate the staff's hospitality throughout our stay. The staff at this hotel - especially Jessica, Hashima, James and Dominique - were extremely responsive, helpful and friendly to travelers stranded in Atlanta due to Hurricane Sandy. In addition, there's a free shuttle to the train station and to the local mall. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Atlanta.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This appears to be an older Doubletree Hotel that is in need of updating. Here on business and stayed on the recommendation of our client. The hotel is conveniently located to I-85. The hotel decor is in shades of brown which gives it a dark appearance. The food in the restaurant was tasty and reasonably priced for a hotel restaurant. We did not want to head out on the town after a long day. The lounge area is not very large. The bartender was also the server; however, she was cheerful and attentive considering the large crowd in the lounge. There was a large workout area; however, three of the four treadmills were broken. It was chilly and I did not check out the pool or even note that they had one. The business center was nice with two computers and a printer. My room was once again in the browns; therefore, dark. That said, the room was comfortable and clean. There was a nice work area, in-room coffee, and a comfortable sitting chair. The room was cozy/small; however, not cramped. Overall, a pleasant stay and good experience.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the highway to reduce noise