“Stay Somewhere Else”

Ranked #101 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Stay Somewhere Else”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My bed sheet when I arrived had what could only be described as a brown substance on it (NO LIE!). I placed a wake up call for 6:30a.m. and i never received the phone call. Thank goodness I had my phone as a backup but this was just one of the many instances why i gave this hotel a poor rating. elevators are horrible. Their restaurant prices are extremely over priced. STAY ELSEWHERE!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Firstly, let me thank you for your comments and more importantly, for taking the time to seek us out on TripAdvisorr. It always saddens me to hear such feedback as this is far from the image that we like to portray to guests like yourself. However, such feedback is also very important to us and I appreciate your comments.

I am sorry to hear that the elevator was dirty and that you did not receive your wakeup call and I can assure you that this matter has been taken care of and has been shared with the correct departments.

I do apologize that The Doubletree by Hilton North Druid Hills did not meet your expectations and sincerely hope that we will have another occasion to rectify this for you.

IIf I can be of any assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.

404.321.4174

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Hotel was modernly decorated however room seemed dark to me. The lights in the bathroom, while attractive, made shadows when I was putting on my make-up. No bathmat for inside the tub. There was no on-site parking either night I stayed so I was advised where to park next door. The location is very convenient. The bed was very comfortable and shower was great. I stayed here because it had better reviews than the place I stayed last time (Extended Stay on Peachtree). I think I'll stay there next time and save a few bucks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Cathy L,

Thank you for staying at my Doubletree and for the review of the hotel.

I am glad you found the bed to be comfortable and the shower to be to your liking. I do however, apologize for the light being dim and apologize that you had issues finding a parking space. We do understand that these items are important to our guest and please be assured that we are currently working on a solution for them.

We do look forward to another chance to meet your needs on your next trip to the Atlanta area.

404.321.4174
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Visiting family nearby, this location was great, right off I-85. Free shuttle to Marta, Emory, Lenox and other locations. Lots of free parking. We found the room very comfortable and very quiet, with great air conditioning. Wifi worked well. Friendly staff. Breakfast buffet was fine and could be very quick. They also serve dinner. My personal list for a good hotel experience includes lots of in-room lighting, replacing toilet rolls, comfortable seating as well as a comfortable bed, choices of kinds of pillows, good desk with wifi, closet with lots of hangers. This place did everything well. Our floor (7) was very clean and well lit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Ceiling is very low on 9 th floor hallway, very dark and dingy, stained carpets in room, smells like it was formerly a "smoking" floor, water stain in ceiling, wallpaper looks like its about to peel off, windows have some sort of film to keep out sun but it's all bubbled making it "hazy" looking to look out the window. What's really strange is you can open the windows, but the double windows are all messed up in the track, and there is enough dirt to grow a garden in the windowsills. Tile grout in bathroom is pretty gross. I thought I captured all the negatives and then we went to take the family to the pool and the doorknob/latch/key card system is VERY loose in the door.

PROS: convenient to 85, lobby area is average looking, outdoor pool is pretty nice, staff is friendly.

• Stayed July 2012
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to find us on TripAdvisor as we appreciate any chance to improve our hotel.

I do appologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay. please know that I have shared your comments with each department involved so we may handle this as swiftly as possible.

Please feel free to contact me if you have another concerns or questions.

Thaddeus Hobson

Travelers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

maryland
Reviewed July 12, 2012

HHonors Gold member... stay in hilton property whenever I can. I stayed at the doubletree recently when I was in town on business. checked in around midnight after horrendous day trying to fly into Atlanta. Desk clerk was polite and friendly and got me checked in quickly.
Next morning received wakeup call on time. Went to breakfast buffet to use breakfast coupon... to find out when I received a bill for $4 it was only for continental breakfast. Not too bad a deal but seemed like a bit of a scam.
Room was standard... could have used a bit of updating, but not bad.

Would stay here again.... basic, reliable, nothing fancy, but does the job.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank G D
, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear GigiDev,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta-North Druid Hills for your recent stay and thank you for taking the time to seek us out on TripAdvisor.

You noted that you were required to pay $4 extra for hot breakfast as your coupons stated you had a free continental breakfast and I wanted to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Per the Hilton Brand Standards our Gold Members receive a continental breakfast for free and once you reach our Diamond Level you receive the hot breakfast for free.

I hope to be able to welcome you back with us again on a future trip to Atlanta. Upon that visit, please let me know beforehand so I can make sure you will have a most pleasant stay.

Chicago
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've stayed at this property a few times and gotten over the fact that there is no wifi in the rooms despire the fact that their website offers "complimentary high-speed internet in every room." I can cope. But this past trip has just shown me how low quality this has gotten. Don't stay on the side of the hotel with the highway if you intend to sleep at all.
Although that has proven difficult anywhere in this hotel - I got in late one night and could hear people hanging out outside the front door yelling and laughing and being obnoxious. By about 4:30 I called the desk to ask them to do something and she immediately said she'd send security. About half an hour later it started up again with more shouting, blaring car music, revving engines, laughing and she seemed confused because she had "sent them to the diner across the way." I'm sorry but if I can hear these people from the 3rd floor, the person at the desk right next to where they were could hear them and should have been more pro-active.
This is on top of the fact that upon checking into my non-smoking room it reaked of stale smoke, I had to spray my own perfume to cover it up just until housekeeping could use their airfreshner.
Then there were beetles or some kind of big black bug crawling around my curtains that I had to kill.
And to complete the trip, the gentleman in the middle of the night told me I could have a late checkout because I wasn't meeting a friend until the afternoon but apparently this never got noted because I had housekeeping banging on my door all morning and when I called the desk about it she gave me nothing but attitude about the time I was told I could checkout and she forced me out an hour early. I work in a hotel myself and can tell you, if another employee tells a guest a time, you honor it to the guest and then talk to the other person - not penalize your guest for your own staff's mistakes.

Normally I have enjoyed staying here when I'm in the area because the location keeps me out of the worst of traffic and the free parking is a definite plus. But after this last visit I am not sure it's worth the trouble even just for a place to lay my head.

Room Tip: The side away from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear SL,

Firstly, let me thank you for your comments and more importantly, for taking the time to fill out the survey that was sent to you via e-mail in regards to your recent stay with us.

I hope to be able to welcome you back with us again on a future trip to Atlanta. Upon that visit, please let me know beforehand so I can arrange upgraded services and make sure you will have a most pleasant stay.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree North Druid Hills for our first anniversary trip. We were here for 6 nights total. First of all, we've never stayed more than a night at an upscale location (meaning anything nicer than a Best Western) so we were really pleased with the hotel. Yes, it is an older building, so the wallpaper is starting to come undone here and there, but it has been nicely updated elsewhere, with big flat-screen tvs in the rooms and comfortable furniture.
The people who work here are what set this place apart, though. Our 5th night here, a very loud family with lots of little kids who love to scream moved into the room next door. In the morning, we complained to Joseph who quickly and kindly moved us to another room exactly like ours on another floor, far away from the rude family (seriously, if your kids are screaming, please take them to play at a park, not in the hotel where people are trying to sleep). When we checked in, Octavia was quick to set us up with restaurants we should try. And Mamie, who was working the bar the third night we were there, was so friendly and helpful.
The only reason I would give this hotel four stars instead of five is because of the small cosmetic things (in the first room, the handicap bar in the tub was about to fall off of the wall) and the bright light that shined into our room all night from the pool (and the drapes do not close all the way to block out the light). The noise from the highway was minimal, and didn't bother us at all. We will probably stay here again if we come back to Atlanta!

Room Tip: Choose a room that's not facing the pool to avoid the bright light in your window.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
I would like to thank you for having chosen the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta Emory Area for your recent stay.

We appreciate the time you took to find us on TripAdvisor and for you’re very positive comments. I am very pleased to see that all our services were to your satisfaction and please be assured that your positive scores have already been shared with our team members.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta-North Druid Hills on your next trip to the Atlanta area.

Thaddeus Hobson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Hampton Inn Atlanta - North Druid Hills
Courtyard Atlanta Executive Park/Emory
Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area
Red Roof Plus+ Atlanta - Buckhead
La Quinta Inn Atlanta Midtown/Buckhead
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Northlake

Been to Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills? Share your experiences!