“Going downhill”

Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills
Ranked #98 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've stayed at this property a few times and gotten over the fact that there is no wifi in the rooms despire the fact that their website offers "complimentary high-speed internet in every room." I can cope. But this past trip has just shown me how low quality this has gotten. Don't stay on the side of the hotel with the highway if you intend to sleep at all.
Although that has proven difficult anywhere in this hotel - I got in late one night and could hear people hanging out outside the front door yelling and laughing and being obnoxious. By about 4:30 I called the desk to ask them to do something and she immediately said she'd send security. About half an hour later it started up again with more shouting, blaring car music, revving engines, laughing and she seemed confused because she had "sent them to the diner across the way." I'm sorry but if I can hear these people from the 3rd floor, the person at the desk right next to where they were could hear them and should have been more pro-active.
This is on top of the fact that upon checking into my non-smoking room it reaked of stale smoke, I had to spray my own perfume to cover it up just until housekeeping could use their airfreshner.
Then there were beetles or some kind of big black bug crawling around my curtains that I had to kill.
And to complete the trip, the gentleman in the middle of the night told me I could have a late checkout because I wasn't meeting a friend until the afternoon but apparently this never got noted because I had housekeeping banging on my door all morning and when I called the desk about it she gave me nothing but attitude about the time I was told I could checkout and she forced me out an hour early. I work in a hotel myself and can tell you, if another employee tells a guest a time, you honor it to the guest and then talk to the other person - not penalize your guest for your own staff's mistakes.

Normally I have enjoyed staying here when I'm in the area because the location keeps me out of the worst of traffic and the free parking is a definite plus. But after this last visit I am not sure it's worth the trouble even just for a place to lay my head.

Room Tip: The side away from the highway.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear SL,

Firstly, let me thank you for your comments and more importantly, for taking the time to fill out the survey that was sent to you via e-mail in regards to your recent stay with us.

It always saddens me to hear such feedback as this is far from the image that we like to portray to guests like yourself. However, such feedback is also very important to us and I appreciate your comments.

I do apologize that The Doubletree by Hilton North Druid Hills did not meet your expectations and sincerely hope that we will have another occasion to rectify this for you.

I hope to be able to welcome you back with us again on a future trip to Atlanta. Upon that visit, please let me know beforehand so I can arrange upgraded services and make sure you will have a most pleasant stay.

If I can be of any assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills

Reviewed July 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree North Druid Hills for our first anniversary trip. We were here for 6 nights total. First of all, we've never stayed more than a night at an upscale location (meaning anything nicer than a Best Western) so we were really pleased with the hotel. Yes, it is an older building, so the wallpaper is starting to come undone here and there, but it has been nicely updated elsewhere, with big flat-screen tvs in the rooms and comfortable furniture.
The people who work here are what set this place apart, though. Our 5th night here, a very loud family with lots of little kids who love to scream moved into the room next door. In the morning, we complained to Joseph who quickly and kindly moved us to another room exactly like ours on another floor, far away from the rude family (seriously, if your kids are screaming, please take them to play at a park, not in the hotel where people are trying to sleep). When we checked in, Octavia was quick to set us up with restaurants we should try. And Mamie, who was working the bar the third night we were there, was so friendly and helpful.
The only reason I would give this hotel four stars instead of five is because of the small cosmetic things (in the first room, the handicap bar in the tub was about to fall off of the wall) and the bright light that shined into our room all night from the pool (and the drapes do not close all the way to block out the light). The noise from the highway was minimal, and didn't bother us at all. We will probably stay here again if we come back to Atlanta!

Room Tip: Choose a room that's not facing the pool to avoid the bright light in your window.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta Emory Area for your recent stay.

We appreciate the time you took to find us on TripAdvisor and for you’re very positive comments. I am very pleased to see that all our services were to your satisfaction and please be assured that your positive scores have already been shared with our team members.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta-North Druid Hills on your next trip to the Atlanta area.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. It is just off the expressway and is fairly easy to find. There are numerous restaurants, coffee shops and shopping nearby. The front deskk staff was very friendly, they gave us their signature cookies upon our arrival, got us checked in quickly. The elevators were a bit slow, surprisingly, but functioned fine. The room was large, clean but had a faint smell of carpet cleaner. It also felt that the carpet was a bit damp, but at least that means they are washing it. The beds were very comfortable, lots of soft pillows and plenty of bedding. Large flat screen tv with hbo, mini fridge and microwave hidden in the dresser. I do have to say that I was surprised to learn that there was no wireless internet access in the rooms, only in the common areas. They provided ethernet connections for the room, but this was not made clear in the description of the hotel. Also, when I called their tech support to help me access the internet from my laptop (this was before I knew that there was no wireless internet access in the room) the tech support guy didn't know there wasn't any wireless internet access in the room either. He told me he was going to reset the modem for me and I should try again in 10 minutes. When I still couldn't connect, I called the careline, and they were the ones that told me there was no wireless internet connections in the rooms. Not sure why their own tech support would not know this, but they should. There was one restaurant in the hotel, we did not eat there but it was nice to know it was there if we wanted something. There was plenty of parking and the lot was well lit. I recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Patricia K
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Patricia K,

We appreciate the time you took to seek us out on TripAdvisor and for you’re very positive scores. I am very pleased to see that all our services were to your satisfaction and please be assured that your positive scores have already been shared with our team members.

I did see that you noted some concerns with our internet connection and I wanted to assure you that we are working hard to fix those.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I recently spent 2 days at this hotel and had a very pleasant stay. The rooms were nicely decorated and had a desk and a couch plus king size bed, so they were very roomy. The restaurant severed a great breakfast and the staff was very customer centric. Overall I felt this was an excellent value !

Room Tip: Rooms above the third floor are quiter
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Thomas P
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thomas P,

We appreciate the time you took to seek us out on TripAdvisor and for you’re very positive scores. I am so pleased to hear that our staff treated you like one of our family members and that you enjoyed your time in our restaurant as well.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Just stayed here again for a graduation as other hotels were booked...and once again disappointed! This is so overpriced for the service! Checked in at 3pm...usual check in time...only 2 computers available to check in so a wait....then room not even ready and excuses about how full they are....Well guess what...if you can't provide service when you are close to or fully booked well then you shouldn't be in business!

No cookies available at check in either...some excuse....never been to a lesser Hilton Garden Inn that didn't have cookies available at check in.

The day of check out tried to get coffee in lobby at 9am as I was on way up to pack and check out....all pots empty...seriously???? can't even keep coffee available? Night before went to print boarding pass....only one computer in business center working....

Went to check out so called front desk to alert them I was leaving.....NO ANSWER....as I was leaving there was one member at front desk talking on the phone...no one else available to answer phone???? Nothing but an overpriced disappointment! Hope I never need to stay there again because it sure won't be a first, second, or even third choice! Huge disappointment for a Hilton Honors Member!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank westiesruleyorkies2
Kraygor, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

I am sorry to hear that your room was not ready when you can to check in and I can assure you that this matter has been taken care of and has been shared with the correct departments.

Kara
404.321.4174

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The people who work in this hotel are so good. All of the staff from the front desk to the restaurant to the maid in the hallway. Just makes you feel so warm and welcome. However, this place need a serious renovation. The carpet in the room is stained and worn. The pillows on the chair have stains. There was also a smell in the curtains. Just needs a renovation and when you match that with the great staff, you'll have a really nice hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LEADerPhilly
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I spent the Easter weekend at this hotel. First, the hotel location was in a very congested noisy area. Customer Service was bad, the hotel seems to be falling apart. Our first night was terrible because the water in the bathtub break and ran all night, disturbing our sleep.

The door handle to my room was loose, our request to have it fixed was ignored by the concierge.The ceiling paint seems to be peeling off. I included breakfast with my reservation, big mistake. The breakfast was limited and of poor quality. I will not recommend this hotel to any one.

Hilton always seems to find ways to avoid crediting my stays in their reward program, Hilton Honors.This is the third time this year I stayed at a Hilton hotel where my Hilton Honors account were not credited. I probably will avoid Hilton Hotels going forward due to their poor customer service.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kenx
Kraygor, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Dear Kenx,

Firstly, let me thank you for your comments and more importantly for letting us know how your stay was at the Doubletree.

I am sorry to hear that your door handle was loose and that the ceiling in your room was peeling. I can assure you that this matter has been taken care of and has been shared with the correct departments.

We are currently working to revamp our breakfast and a whole new buffet will be rolling out in May.

Please contact me at your earliest convince at the number below so I can make sure your Hilton Honors number gets credited for your stay here with us.

Kara
404.321.4174

Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Buckhead
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Buckhead

Been to Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills? Share your experiences!