“Pleasant Stay, Good in a Pinch, but...”

Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills
Ranked #101 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
South Carolina
“Pleasant Stay, Good in a Pinch, but...”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at the Doubletree while I was in Atlanta for a craft show. It was located in Stone Mountain, so we chose this hotel based on its affordability and proximity to where we needed to be.

The staff was very nice, so no complaints there. The warm cookies were a nice touch. The lobby was recently updated and very mod. The elevators however were old as sin. They jerked around a lot and one was malfunctioning. Not cool.

I thought the hallway to leading to the room was very shabby. It was very dim. Someone had left out their room service tray; the smell of the left over food permeated the hallway. The tray was still there the next morning.

Our room was tiny--only one double. The room was awkwardly shaped and at the end of the hall; the bed was up against the bathroom wall, facing the windows. Even my mom commented on it and she's not picky. I got the distinct feeling that we were shafted because we got the room via Priceline. I've never felt that way with the dozens of Priceline hotels we've won in the past.

The walls were pretty thin. We could hear the door for the room located across from us slamming--it sounded like it was in the room. Fortunately, we were at the end of the hall so we didn't hear much after hours. The internet worked fine for low-key e-mailing, etc.

Check-out was super easy and the attendant greeted us with genuinely happy personality. That was a real plus.

We didn't use any of the other amenities. We checked for soft drinks but the machines (and the "pantry" downstairs charged $2 for a 20oz bottle). I actually went out and down the road to the gas station to get something because the prices were high and the selections slim. I was a bit put off by the neighborhood, which is no fault of the hotel. The location was right off of I-85 and was sort of seedy as a result. The gas station on the corner had an all night liquor store attached to it and the clientele looked rough. In fact, I passed the place up and went on up the road to another gas station (that wasn't much better). The area was busy and seemed to attract a "clubbing" crowd (and not the good kind). The hotel sat off the road, down a short street that led to a business park, so that area was safe. I didn't feel threatened going to and from the car.

The hotel was very busy the night we checked in. I sensed that some sort of large family reunion was going on. It seemed like there were a lot of people coming and going who may not have been staying in the hotel, which made me a bit nervous.

A few folks in the public spaces (including the bar) were not attired in the same manner that I would have been if I was hanging out in a hotel lobby, especially of one that is perceived as being more than your typical 2-star hotel. Traipsing through the lobby in your PJs/sloppy sweats just seems to be a bit much, if you ask me. Maybe down the hallway to the vending machines, but otherwise...no. It's not something I've encountered before.

From the signage, it appears that Hilton is trying to spruce up the Doubletree hotels, but they have a long way to go, especially with this hotel. I wouldn't not stay here again, but I would look at other options before I committed to it. I would most definitely not pay full price.

Room Tip: Make sure you get more than one double!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I needed a hotel that was close to my friends home, he has doggies am I'm allergic. This hotel fit the location bill, and my reservations were set. I was greeted with a smile, a cookie, and a mega clean room. It was large, comfy and a very nice place to stay for 6 days. Im a stickler for clean bathrooms, well really who isnt, and was very pleased with the cleanliness. The entire hotel was spotless, hallways, entryways, bathrooms in the lobby, it was all clean, clean, clean.

Every employee I had any contact with was very pleasant, kind and helpful. While waiting for my friend to come pick me up one very hot day, I was offered a free bottle of water. I used the business center to print out some tickets, and the printers were out of paper, something that was quickly remedied.

If I had any complaints at all is that the breakfast was rather limited, but I never went hungry. They dont offer lunch at all, so if your going to be there over lunch, make sure to have some thing to eat in your room. I didnt use the lounge or eat dinner at the restaurant. The elevators are slow slow slow! But really, what is our hurry? Where are we going that we feel the need to rush? So, take a breath, and relax and enjoy life, we only get one go around at this rodeo, so enjoy!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Reviewed October 5, 2011

This double Tree has the classics coming from Hilton and Double Tree. It is old but clean and comfortable. My company has a good rate here. Food is pretty good. I don't like the chicken rice soup though. Too brothy!

Room Tip: The rooms are larger with the rooms that have two Queen beds.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Was very disappointed by this hotel. No executive floor lounge and very poor wi-fi were the main problems. The location is not bad - close to Buckhead and Emory which was good for my purposes. The elevators are slow, place needs a renovation. Breakfast offered in the morning in lieu of the exec floor lounge which was OK, but not as nice as the lounge for sure. Room on the 9th floor offered limited or at times no internet as it was too high up - had to go to the lobby which was frustrating. Staff very nice, but many nice hotels just 5 minutes away in Buckhead and would stay there instead.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The hotel building is not new, but they've done a lot to make it a nice experience. Our room was on the end of a hallway, which was nice as there was a big family reunion using the hotel while we were there. The front desk staff gave us water as we waited to check-in, and of course the cookies! The gym in the hotel was good - all the machines seemed to work and they provided water and towels. The coffee was really good too. Even though we had a view of the interstate, I thought this was a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 6, 2011

If you are a road warrior like I am, you appreciate being recognized and welcomed back with a smile! The wake up call alone is one reason to come back. "Good Morning! This is Joseph at the front desk. Rise and shine.." The wait staff in the restaurant is friendly the staff will rustle up omlettes and waffles if you don't want the buffet. There always seems to be a manager or someone to greet you and ask about your day.

The hotel is clean and rooms spacious. Nice flat screen TV's and reliable internet.

The location inside the Perimeter makes it easy to get down town or out North with a minimum of traffic hassle (this is Atlanta after all).

Near by are good restaurants in Buckhead. Room service features the DT menu and gets to your room in a timely manner and with a smile.

I love this place. It has personality.

Room Tip: I usually ask for a room away from 85.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Maryland
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I was somewhat worried after reading the reviews, but my stay was guide nice. The hotel has a few years on it but was clean, comfortable and the staff was great. Right off the highway and it was close to the destinations I needed to visit during my stay.

Cookies were great just wish they had onCommand or similar.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Buckhead
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Buckhead

Been to Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills? Share your experiences!