“Nice Modern Hotel in Downtown Atlanta”

Sheraton Atlanta Hotel
Ranked #37 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Lake City, Florida
“Nice Modern Hotel in Downtown Atlanta”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Although on the smaller side, my room was basically what I've come to expect from Sheraton. Remodeled with clean lines and modern finishes, it was quite nice. Flat screen t.v., comfortable bed, and even more comfortable linens. The hotel itself was quiet large and spread out. The rooms lie in two towers separated by a large indoor pool and courtyard. There's lots of meeting spaces, an extensive office space full of computers, and a couple restaurants. All were very well designed. Every staff member I came in contact with was very personable, friendly, and quite helpful. I was very impressed with the staff.

My only complaint lies with the restaurant Fandangles. The atmosphere is quite nice. Half the restaurant has more the feel of a bar, while the other half is much more elegant and geared toward fine dining. However, both menus left me disappointed. It seemed that my choices were basically between a $30-$40 steak, or a $13 hamburger. My only other option was a $20 grouper sandwich, which I chose. While the sandwich was actually good, the waffle fries served with it were basically grease patties. I couldn't stomach more than two of them, and the rest were left sitting on the plate. When I asked about regular fries, or some other vegetable, I was told there were none. However, I witnessed them serving fries to a private party in a convention space. Oh well. I was much more impressed with the room service menu and wished I had simply stayed in the room and ordered off it. It was much more diverse; offering salmon, different types of chicken, steak, ect..

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would definitely return. The hotel does deliver what I've come to expect from Sheraton. I just wouldn't revisit Fandangles.

1 Thank rmcl26
dsenden, Director of Sales at Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Thanks very much for such a kind review on the hotel and staff! We certainly appreciate it and are thrilled you enjoyed your stay so much. We also appreciate the feedback on the menu prices and food in Fandangles and we'll use your comments to help us continue to get better. Of course we could have done different fries or vegetables for you and our sincere aplogies that we didn't handle that well. We're glad that you liked In Room Dining though! Hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We arrived for a three night stay with our two children and were thrilled with the beauty of the property and warm welcome we received. The hotel was spotlessly clean, the staff was gracious and friendly (without exception, including concierge, front desk, housekeeping and engineering) and the breakfast with Starbucks coffee was great. The beds are amazingly comfortable and I am very picky about bed comfort! One of the managers on duty during our visit, Joseph Arroyo, provided outstanding customer service - truly made us feel that our happiness mattered to him as he went above and beyond to insure that everything with our trip went just right. Imagine our delight when, the second evening, we arrived back at our room after a night out celebrating our son's birthday, to discover birthday treats for both children had been left in our room! We have never received such personal, warm and friendly service EVER in any hotel in the US or Europe. We will be happy to recommend the Sheraton Atlanta to any of our friends traveling through the city.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank AAmyA
Thank you very much for such a great review! We're so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and pointed out all the things you enjoyed! Thank you as well for recognizing Joseph for his efforts. We'll give him a sincere thank you for taking such great care of your family. Hope to see you again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Great place to stay, good food, staff is very helpful and friendly. Will go out of the normal to help their customers. A bit pricey, but worth it.

1 Thank Warren1123
We greatly appreciate your review and that you found our staff to be so friendly! Hope to see you again soon and until then, safe travels!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I tend to notice good service when I see it considering my extensive travel experiences in hotels all over the world. Rarely do I find the consistently OUTSTANDING service and excellent accommodations that The Sheraton Atlanta provides. Manager Paul Bolhuis and Megan at the front desk have personally taken the time to make sure all of my needs are met every time I visit. Room service, bell staff, house cleaning, and Fandangles Bar/Lounge all have a professional and courteous demeaner.My congratualtions to management and your training methods.
I have been fortunate enough to stay at Ritz Carlton, Ritz Paris, W, Westin, Hilton, Marriott, Ian Schragger properties, and other top notch hotel groups, however I will continue to choose Atlanta Sheraton and Starwood properties in the future as my company of choice for the very reasons above. I also feel very comfortable recommending this hotel to friends, clients, and family.
Please keep up the good work and I look forward to my next visit.

1 Thank atlantaw0rldtraveler
dsenden, Director of Sales at Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Many thanks for such a great review! Paul and Megan are both great team members and they are thrilled to know you were so pleased with your stay. We know you have a choice when traveling and we're honored you'll be staying with us again in the future! See you soon and safe travels!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton Atlanta during the second week of December, 2011, for a conference. The rooms were typical Sheraton rooms - not horribly outdated but nothing to write home about either (I did find that the rooms were a tad dark). My greatest complaint is with the water in the shower. I showered in the mornings before my meetings began (typically around 7 - 7:15 am). The first morning, the water was fine. However, the second and third mornings, the water was either freezing cold or scalding hot, and I would have to do my rinsing during the "swings" between temperatures. While this was annoying (and I overheard other conference-mates complain about this during the course of the week), it was bearable and I did not complain. However, on the fourth morning, there was NO WATER in the shower. The shower merely made a loud noise and nothing came out. When I called to complain, guest services apologized for the inconvenience and told me that they were going to get on fixing the issue. I decided to shower at a colleague's room that day and was short on time and had to go to my meetings with wet hair. Nevertheless, I didn't complain too much. In addition, I was told that the issue was fixed (something with the shower head). However, on the fifth day I went to shower again, and once again, NO WATER. This time I am rather furious, and speaking with guest services, I am again told that they are sorry for the "inconvenience" and as I continue to tell her how unacceptable this is, she just speaks even more quickly and works to get me off the phone as quickly as possible. As this was my last day in the hotel, I didn't shower (I figured I could shower at home), but mostly I was shocked at how the lack of a basic need was written off as a mere inconvenience. We told the woman who worked in the club room about our experience (she was very nice and friendly - and to be honest - with the exception of this water issue, the people at the hotel were friendly and helpful) and she said that we should at the very least be able to receive points to compensate us for this for what is clearly more than just a nuisance. However, when we asked for points, they just gave us 500 points, which apparently is worth less than $20. They clearly did not care about our business.

Bottom line - if for whatever reason you have to go to Atlanta, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Apparently the water issue was limited to the 12th floor of the South Tower.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
dsenden, Director of Sales at Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
We sincerely apologize for the entire situation. During your stay, we had a mechanical failure to a pump that services the floor you were on. After the initial failure, we thought our engineering team had correct the problem, only to see it fail again the next morning during peak water demand. It also sounds like our associate did not communicate with you appropriately either. We absolutely should have moved you to a different floor as we did with other guests. We certainly didn't get this one right and again, sincerely apologize for your experience. It is not indicative of how we normally take care of our guests. We've sent you a private message so that we can get some additional feedback from you and ensure your satisfaction. Looking forward to speaking with you shortly and thank you very much for the feedback. We will definitely be using your comments to get better.
South Carolina
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We booked a room at the Atlanta Sheraton on hotwire.com for $55 per night. At this price I can only say that the service (quick room service and hailing of taxi cabs), location (easy to access, close enough to walk to major attractions), and cleanliness (newly remodeled with nice small touches such as fresh towels at the heated indoor pool) were excellent. Decidedly better than similar properties we've stayed at in the downtown Atlanta area (for example the Hyatt). definitely recommend if you can secure a great price on one of the bidding sites.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
We really appreciate the great review on the hotel and service! It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay in Atlanta so much. Hope to see you again soon and safe travels!
Atlanta
Reviewed December 15, 2011

The Sheraton Atlanta looks very different and if not weird from the outside with its non-conventional cover. The hotel itself is actually very nice from the inside. It is clean and the rooms are spacious. The room service along with the customer service was very (and I mean very) prompt. It felt like a movie where I ordered or asked for something and before I can hang up the phone, there was a knock on the door. In addition, the location of the hotel is spectacular. It is right off the highway and close to everything.

The only thing I disliked about the hotel is its parking situation. The covered deck is TOO NARROW and the walkway is on the driveway. I almost got hit by a car walking down because an SUV covered the entire area. Moreover, the parking is a walk from the lobby. I found that parking on the uncovered side (closer to the side door if you're lucky) is more convienent; but when the temperature was as low as it was when I stayed, you'd rather be in the covered section. Overall a good experience and I defintely wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank a2wice
Thanks for the review! We know the exterior of the building isn't typical of normal hotels, so we concentrate our efforts on what happens inside the building, where it really counts. We're very happy that you experienced a great stay with us through our people and service. That's our goal! The self parking deck walkway is slightly narrow as you mentioned and we're sorry that another driver wasn't paying attention. Thanks again for the kind review and safe travels!