“Nice stay but tiny beds”

Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center
Ranked #52 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I feel my three stars might be a bit critical because the hotel itself is nice enough and in a nice location. The room was a decent size and comfortable enough. The hotel was clean and so were the omkon areas. I like that there is a food court and the connecting CNN center. My main issue with this hotel is it was a little too big and very confusing to find your way around. I don't mind the fact that it was a large hotel but it made me not want to leave my room at all. Going down for breakfast was a task and especially where my room was situated within the hotel. I was in the North Tower. Not much on my end of the hotel except a coffee shop which served cold fruit and coffee. I was located on the conference room side. The restaurants are located on the South side of the hotel as well as easy access to the CNN food court. Also, I had reserved a King sized bed but on the week of my stay, there were absolutely no king beds available which would have been okay if their "standard" bed was not as tiny as it was. I felt like I was sleeping in a bed slightly larger than a twin. I have a thin, 5ft 8in tall frame, so I don't need a huge bed but this bed had me calling down to the front desk and begging for the first King that became available. Also, the lighting was pretty dim in the room. Made it difficult to apply my make up. I had to open the curtains for natural lighting, which I don't really like to do because I'm always afraid of people being able to see into my room. During my stay, there was a marathon scheduled on the main road along side the hotel. At 5:30am, the morning of the marathon, i was awakened to a man yelling into a microphone 16 stories down and thousands of screaming marathon runners. The screaming and yelling took place for approximately 2hours which made sleeping impossible! I know that this is no fault of the hotel but it amazed me how loudly the sounds were and how it sounded as if my window was open allowing the noise in but my windows were sealed shut. This hotel overlooks Centennial Olympic park and just as a warning, if there is a large event going on, don't expect peace and quiet. Now onto the convention center. The hotel and convention center are literally a stones throw away from one another yet, the event that I was in town for was located in Building C. Wow! The walk was a mile long so avoid wearing your high heels until you get to your location. The convention center is huge! My three star rating is for the hotel but I wanted to add this additional information because I felt it is important to know.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Management100, Manager at Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We apologize for the room type issue that you experienced. We know your stay at the Omni Hotel at CNN Center was not ideal, but we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,079)

Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed in the North tower for a one night quick trip to Atlanta. My mother in law had a King room that connected to our double room. The rooms were a good size and very clean. Modern decor, nice bathrooms.

I'm not a big fan of valet parking. It's expensive and inconvenient, but that's what you get when you stay downtown in a city. That being said, the attendants were nice and they brought the car around very quickly.

LOCATION is what is best about this place. We spent time in the park and walked to the Aquarium. We ate in the food court in the CNN tower.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

It is a pleasure for us to hear of your stay at the Omni Hotel at CNN Center. The next time you are in Atlanta please choose to stay with us once again.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Arrival by car was not so good. Not the hotels fault, but by GPS you end up driving all around the perimeter in order to enter the garage. We were greeted by a valet who was very nice, and helpful. From the ground floor we went up a few flights to reception. The elevators to reception were very slow coming, so after a long trip, this was an unwelcomed delay.

Check In was slow. Not that the hotel was busy, but only 1 desk clerk was helping guests, until another arrived after about a 5 minute wait.

We were given a room in the "other" tower, which means we now walk a short way, to the other building (inside passage). Again, not a big deal, but when you consider the wait at valet, elevator, reception, and the walkway, it was a good 15 minutes before we were in our room.

I should have asked for a high floor and a view. Instead I got a view of the ballroom roof. I was dissapointed, but wasn't going to go through the whole process of changing rooms. Hotel was not very busy though, so I dont understand why they would give us the 'bad' rooms. Oh well.

Room was clean, in decent shape, along the lines of a Marriott or Hilton. Small TV, but a flat screen. Comfy bed, large bathroom. Room was the best part of my trip. I also have to say that the room was very quiet. If I had neighbors, I certainly never heard them.

Late at night my wife wanted a soda, no vending machines on the floors. THere was a mini bar, but since we didnt have a key, I have no idea what was in it. Finding a soda at midnight was an issue.

In the morning, my "Express Check Out" bill was folded and placed on the outside of my door, not under the door. I was a bit uphappy that my personal information was out there for anyone to take. Name, room number, adress, rate paid, etc. Lets say I wanted a free breakfast, I just grab one of those bills off another door and charge it to whomevers name is on that bill. Plenty of room to slip it under the door. I know it is a small issue, but I just do not want my information shared. I would think the hotel would not want that either.

I only spoke to a few staff members, who were generally nice. They all seemed surprised when I provided a tip (bellman, valet). That was odd. I would stay again. the location is great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, and a high floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Savannah, Georgia, USA
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay and the service we recieved throughtout. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Thank you for recommending the Omni Hotel at CNN Center to your friends and family. We hope you will once again choose to stay with us the next time you are in town.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

OMNI Hotel - I love you! Thank you for making our sporting event weekend a blast!!! Thank you for being so close to the Dome! Thank you for being in the middle of everything we wanted to see and experience!

I chose this hotel because of the adjoining location and proximity of its location to the Georgia Dome, World of Coke and CNN Center, and I'm so happy I chose this hotel.

The personnel on the valet team displayed courtesy, professionalism and enthusiasm. I never had to wait longer than 5 minutes for my car. Valet parking is $30 per night. Although I had already check-out with the hotel, they still allowed me to keep my car parked in their garage up until 6pm to allow us to finish up our sightseeing. Awesome. There is a $15 charge had we picked up our car after 6pm.

I had some personal packages and mail Fed-Exed over to the hotel prior to my arrival, and I received it at check-in. The check-in personnel were extremely friendly, kind, professional and personable. Although they forgot one minor glitch in forgetting to give me my mini-bar key at check-in, it was still all good.

Our room in the North Tower on the 17th floor was clean and the bathroom was roomy. We had plenty of plushy bath towels, complimentary shampoo and bath soap and even found bath robes in the closet. I liked the flat panel tv and coffee maker too. The beds were comfy and sheets were clean.

Location is everything to me. This hotel was in the middle of the touristy things we had on our agenda - World of Coke, CNN studio tour and the Georgia Dome. All very walkable. However, I am so glad we had a rental car and had a GPS. We needed a car to drive to the world famous and Atlanta landmark restaurant Mary Mac's Tearoom.

We did not get a chance to eat at Prime Meridian or at the countless eateries inside CNN. However, I made a mental note to remember there is a Ruth Chris steak house across the street in the Embassy Suites hotel.

One very minor incident occured that I would like to mention here. On our last morning, I wanted to get some extra sleep. That did not occur because I was rudely awakened by one of the hotel's staff who identified herself a staff member from the "refreshment center". She was banging on my door at around 9:30 am because she wanted to
"check my mini-bar". Very disgruntled, I arose out of my bed to let her in and told her that I was not even aware that I had a mini-bar (I found out it was on the bottom shelf of the armoire, below the tv) because I never received a mini-bar key when I checked-in! She then replied "Well, you should have told me that in the first place, or else I wouldn't have bothered you".

Just be aware that this may happen to you on one of those mornings that you're trying to have a nice sleep in.

Overall, I loved this hotel, the location, the friendliness and capabilites of the staff and the abundance of eateries within close proximity. Restaurant Row is nearby, but we never had a chance to visit due to our lack of time.

I am going back to Atlanta and I will most likely choose the Omni Hotel again.

Room Tip: Book early for best rate and become an Omni member to get FREE wifi
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

We are truly appreciative of your detailed review of your stay at the Omni Hotel at CNN Center. Please accept our sincere apology for your inconvenience with not receiving the mini bar key and the mini bar attendant. We are looking forward to the next time you visit Atlanta so we can have the honor to serve you once again.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Everything about this hotel is solid except for the TVs in the rooms. Old tube TVs manufactured in early 2000s that you would expect to see in a budget motel. They need to upgrade ASAP. TVs killed it for me. Finishes in room were nice.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for your review. We are in the process of making improvements to the hotel. We hope you choose to stay with us once again when you’re in town.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Wonderful location. Nice staff. Clean room. Nice restaurant down stairs. Awesome Easter Sunday brunch.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank preciouspj

Thank you for such a positive review. Please come back to the Omni Hotel at CNN Center the next time you are in Atlanta.