“Most disgusting bathroom I have EVER seen in a hotel!”

Ranked #38 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Columbia, South Carolina
“Most disgusting bathroom I have EVER seen in a hotel!”
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I am currently staying in the Hyatt Regency Atlanta in the Atrium tower, and this is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I booked through priceline and even with a discount the room is a huge rip off. I have stayed in 2 star hotels nicer than this. At check in we were told only rooms with two double beds were available, so no king or queen - this was acceptable since we booked with priceline but still disappointing considering how large the hotel is.

Once we saw the room, I was disgusted. The tile grout in the bathroom was almost black in some areas and there was pink mold in the shower. Its not just an old room, but a dirty one at that. There was also a large stain on the edge of one of the comforters. The TV was an old tube TV, and there was a rip in the leather desk chair. Make sure to check out my pictures of the gross bathroom.

The hotel is also incredibly noisy and the expensive internet ($12 a day) is painfully slow. I was not even able to watch Hulu without pausing frequently to buffer.

I am hoping we can switch out rooms tomorrow to an updated one, so I don't have to spend the rest my the trip in this gross room. I would certainly leave now if I had not booked a nonrefundable stay through priceline. Still I WOULD NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lmo1234
HyattAtlanta, Hyatt Regency Atlanta at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I apologize for the guest room issues and we will certainty use your story as a training tool for the entire staff to ensure these types of challenges don't happen again.

We are currently undergoing transformation, to include Atrium guestrooms to be complete at the end of the year. I assure you, the noise and issues with guest room are not common Hyatt Regency Atlanta practices and are below our standard level of service. We value your comments and hope you will consider us again for your next stay.

Best,

Hyatt Regency Atlanta Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hampton, VA
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Overall, the hotel was nice. It was in a wonderful location. Close to shopping, the Marta and downtown. Unfortunately, the weather was bad, and we didnt want to go many places, but still had a great time. The underground shops and accessibility to downtown made this hotel. The parking was overpriced and the rooms were average at best. The service was ok, but that was only because I was a Hyatt member, Many co-workers complained about their accommodations, but mine were okay. Not a good value for the money unless you just REALLY want to stay downtown.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mininickie
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed February 9, 2011

From the moment we entered our room, we were disappointed. Our beds had hairs on the sheets that clearly did not belong to us, and we did not have proper bedding on the mattress. Instead of using a mattress pad cover and fitted sheet, our beds had an old blanket on top of the mattress with a flat sheet over it which was tucked around the mattress.

We did our best to overlook the beds and less than clean rooms because we were very tired from traveling and just wanted to get some sleep, but that is when countered the next problem....Very LOUD noises. The walls seemed paper thin, it sounded like we were outside a very busy bar.

The positive about this hotel was that it was close to our meeting facility, but if we knew then what we know now, we would have stayed somewhere else even if we were further from our meeting.

I would Not recommend staying here!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank dc1484
Reviewed February 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night for business and used a last minute priceline deal. When we arrived the valet was average, barely offering to take our bags.

Entering into the hotel we were pleasantly greeted by a handful of people and things started looking up. At check-in we found our Priceline reservation had us booked for two double beds and the woman at check-in gladly switched it to one king for us.

We left the hotel once for dinner and our car was promply brought to us. It wasn't until after we returned that this experience became a nightmare. Around 10pm the man staying next to us returned back to his room. Apparently on business alone, the man started talking on speaker phone and we could literally hear every word of the conversation. Around midnight he turned on music and had a visitor. Once again, we could hear every word of their conversation well into the night.

If you have to stay here one night, it is bearable but the paper thin walls made our experience a nightmare. I don't recommend unless you get a very good steal via Priceline.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank georgiagirl256
Good Afternoon,

I assure you, these are not common Hyatt Regency Atlanta practices and are below our standard level of service. We value your comments and hope you will consider us again for your next stay.

Best,

Jacksonville
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I visited the hotel with my husband and kids on our first trip to Atlanta. I booked it through priceline and got a good deal but later I realized it ended up only being about $20 less than the special the hotel had. Next time I better do more research. I requested the International tower in order to be in the quieter section of the hotel.
The room was small but decent. The beds were comfortable and the refrigerator in the room was great to keep our water cold.
The location of the hotel was great. I didnt want to have to drive at all during our stay and it worked out.. We walked to the Aquarium, CNN, Coca Cola, Centennia Olympic park. We took the subway to the Federal Reserve bank. The subway is only one block away. Also at the subway station, there is a mall where you can eat (mainly fast food) but very convenient. A Starbucks is also about 1-2 blocks away.
My main complaint is the noise. The walls are very thin and you can hear your neighbors. I don't know if their pipes are very old but they were so loud the two nights we were there. I had to buy earplugs the second night to make sure I could sleep.
If you are looking for a great location, this a great hotel. If you are looking to get a decent night sleep you might be better off somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
windsor Ontario
Reviewed February 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. We booked through Priceline.

When we first arrived we were totally impressed and thought "wow! - what a beautiful hotel". Then we went to our room. We had requested a room with a Queen size bed and were placed in one of the towers. We were coming back from a week long cruise and stopped in Atlanta to visit the Georgia Aquarium, Coca Cola and CNN. We picked this hotel because it was within walking distance of these three tourist places.

When we entered the room we immediately noticed how extremely small it was. Our cabin on our Cruise was larger than this room!!! There was absolutely not space for anything! everything looked like it was crammed in there. The bathroom had only a shower - no tub. Also, there was a small four inch ledge to put our toiletries on -definitely no space. No counter top - nothing.

The room itself was small... and the lighting was extremely poor. I can't imagine how anyone who would even come to this hotel for business purposes would have been able to do anything in that room - and the Inbternet was $11.95 a day!!!

However, since we booked through Priceline and didn't pay very much for the room we hesitated to complain or request another room so I can't tell you whether this room was "standard" for this hotel. It was soooo dark in there! - not side reading light on the side table or anything!

The coffee machine was on a small shelf that had absolutely no lighting and I couldn't see what I was doing to make the darn coffee.

The bed was crap - out of our two weeks of travel this was the WORSE bed for sleeping - and the towels were so thin they looked like they had seen better days or were purchased at the dollar store. We were shocked. This is supposed to the Hyatt Regency!!! It definitely did not merit a 4 star rating!

Oh- and the walls were so thin we could hear the guy in the next room when he had the TV on (really loud) and was going in and out of his room (his door would slam shut)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 2, 2011

A very underwhelming stay at this Atlanta property.

It started off well enough. Check in was a breeze since I used the self-check in kiosks available at the front desks. Within minutes I was zooming up the elevator to my room. Sadly, that's when things took an ugly turn. Exhausted from my long trip in (I arrived at 10 PM when I was originally scheduled to land at 10 AM) I threw back the sheets ready to dive into a comfortable bed when I see ..... red stains dotting the pristine white sheets. I'm not 100% sure (I didn't pack my home chemistry set) but it looked like blood. Or ketchup, but the droplet pattern on the sheet reminded me of blood.

I debated going down to complain and ask for a new room, but to be honest I was exhausted and already undressed, so I hopped into the other bed after a through scan of the sheets. Glad I got a room with two beds! I did send a tweet out on my Twitter account complaining about the cleanliness of the hotel and promptly fell asleep. I woke up that AM and made my way to the restroom where I was again surprised with more odd red stains on the white tile. Even more grossed out at this point.

Apparently overnight the Hyatt Concierge had seen my tweet about the hotel cleanliness and asked me to get in touch with my "problem". I did get in touch with them and provided photos of the stains. Sadly, Hyatt Concierge never got back to me. Perhaps they got busy? Perhaps they were ashamed? Either way, its one thing to not help, but its worse to offer to help and then bail.

The other issue I have with this hotel is that it massive indoor atrium style makes it very noisy at night. Being a massive hotel, there are frequently people coming and going in the lobby and elevators. The atrium style throws the shouts of everyone and their mother into your hotel room at all hours of the night. Very uncomfortable trying to sleep with all the noise.

Other then that, this is a standard Hyatt property. The staff are friendly enough, and the location is ideal for being in the downtown area.

But if you want something as simple as clean sheets and floors, look elsewhere. I stayed at the Westin prior to this and was much more impressed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
HyattATL, Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Dear leorawrs81,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at The Hyatt Regency Atlanta. I am very concerned to hear about your experience and assure you that we take issues like these very seriously. I would like to investigate this situation further, as it was clearly not properly handled with you, our guest, and I want to make sure we can also follow up internally. Please e-mail me at richard.walter@hyatt.com or call me at 404-577-1234. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,