“Some good, some bad”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #40 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 1, 2006

Stayed 3 nights at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta as part of the Association of Government Accountants' Internal Control and Fraud National Conference. (We received a discount rate of $115 per night versus the usual rate of $249 a night.) The room was a decent size and had some new furniture (dresser, bed headboards, desk, etc.) as well as a more modern/contemporary decorating style. The bed was reasonably comfortable and there was not a great deal of noise despite my room being located on the 2nd floor just above the main lobby.

The hotel is a bit older and shows some signs of wear and tear but is generally kept in good shape. However, there are some cosmetic problems (old bathroom with simply a new shower curtain for example) as well as some housekeeping issues. On my first night, I noticed a used towel underneath the sink (it was not visible when in the bathroom but visible when looking in the mirror next to the bed). I did not say anything about it and assuredly did not touch it as I wished to see if housekeeping would notice the towel. Obviously, they do not sweep or mop under the sink as the towel was still there at check-out.

The hotel staff were quite helpful and attentive, otherwise. The common areas of the hotel were quite nice and the ballrooms and seminar rooms were good (as well as the catered meals throughout the convention which I assume the Hyatt prepared).

Of course, being a downtown hotel, you *do* get nickeled and dimed with parking of $22 per day, almost forceable bellhop service, and no continental breakfast or snacks as in budget hotels. In addition, you must pay $10 per day for internet access.

The hotel had a fabulous fitness center with my only criticism being the lack of stationery bikes.

The hotel is located in the heart of downtown attached to an underground mini-mall. There are lots of quality restaurants in walking distance.

So, in summary, the hotel is nice enough to stay at if you can get a reduced rate, need to stay downtown, or are attending a conference. However, I would look elsewhere if other options were available.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank jsb23nc
Write a ReviewReviews (4,232)

Reviewed September 27, 2006

Stayed in Mid-September for a medical convention. Convenient location, and walkable (20 minutes) to the convention center. Many restaurants within walking distance.

My room was in the "International Tower" adjacent the main building. The hotel itself is an older Hyatt property, but they have made efforts to update the rooms. Newer desks, bed and bed linens, wireless high-speed internet ($9.95 per day). Available web TV with wireless keyboard. Bathroom was '80s style Hyatt, with just a new style shower curtain and rod. Portico bath amenities (soap, shampoo, lotion, conditioner). Iron/Iron board an in-room safe in the closet.

Room had no hair-dryer or minibar. Why they would skimp on a hair-dryer is beyond me.

If you are able to stay here for less than $200 a night, I think it is worth it. Otherwise, you are probably better off in the Westin or the Marriott just a few blocks away.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Rice_Krispies
Reviewed September 6, 2006

I attended DragonCon this past labor day weekend and stayed with the Hyatt. The hotel staff was very accomodating given the large number of people at the hotel for the weekend.

Overall, it was a great hotel. I think however if I had paid full price for the regular room rate I would not have been as happy.

I loved the balcony and the great location next to the marta station.

The room was very attractive but the bathroom could use some work.

I would definately stay here again if I have a discount of some sort but I would stay for one or two nights at regular price as well.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank ciriasly
Reviewed August 6, 2006

My wife and I chose this Hyatt in Atlanta based mostly on reviews and its location. The staff and service was tremendous. We were impressed with the professionalism of all the services this hotel had to offer. The only thing we felt was lacking was the size of our room. It was clean and the soaps were wonderful, but there was room for one in the bathroom. The beds were very comfortable and we heard no noise from outside the door or to our next door neighbors. Our room faced the front of the hotel and we occasionally heard a horn from the downtown area. I left a travel wallet that holds all of my membership cards to hotel chains and rental cars in our room. I received a call from the hotel manager at my home letting me know of the item and asking how he should get it to me. He also joked about their not being a Hyatt card in the selection.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2006

The Hyatt is a very beautiful and well preserved hotel. I think the price paid is well worth it. The front desk clerk was not that accomodating when we first checked in but came around. There were only three things that were not good about this hotel.

1.The pool was not heated and was very very cold, almost everyone getting in had to get out after a short time because the water was so cold. When I asked the front desk guy about why the pool was not heated, "He gave a very rehearsed answer and said, once you get in and go down to the bottom it gets warmer", I looked at him and thought,"You've got to be kidding me, I've paid you almost $1,000.00 to stay here and you can't provide a heated pool"?

2. If you have a laptop computer,internet services were not included in the price, in addition to the price you've already paid for the hotel, they want you to pay an additional $9.95 per day to get on the internet.
3. The hotel's marketing states that the hotel is 3 blocks from the Georgia Dome, the hotel is approximately 9 or more blocks from the Georgia dome.

The restaurants are very expensive, but all of the other staff members at the hotel were very well dressed and very pleasant with the exception of the front desk lady when we first checked in. If you don't mind a very cold pool and paying additional for internet services, then this is a great hotel to go to! It is absolutely postively beautiful in every way. Very well preserved and very well decorated.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2006

Hyatt
Date: July 25, 2006

We just returned from a four day trip to Atlanta's National Black Arts Festival. Since most activities were centered in downtown, my husband and I decided we wanted to stay as close to the events as possible. We booked our hotel through hotwire.com and assumed it had to be an excellent value (had we booked it through the hotel's website, it would have cost $189.00 per night..but we got it for $95.00). Overall, it was a suitable place to stay in terms of location, cleanliness, and staff; however, the room was the tinest hotel room we have ever stayed in and the view overlooked the rooftop below (which was littered with old construction materials). The entryway to the bath was so tiny that if we were any larger, we would have to turn sideways just to enter. The room did have a large picture window which did not appear very appealing since the drapes were spotted with various stains. Also, we found out once we arrived at the hotel that parking was $22.00 per day which we did not anticipate. The redeeming quality of our stay was the extraordinary staff who were extremely friendly and attentive. The next time we're in town, we'll probably stay elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank tinche
Reviewed July 23, 2006

This was not what I expected in terms of quality and it the rooms were poorly appointed. Others agreed with me as I thought I was being snobbish at first.

$4.00 for a can of coke.