“Loud Street Noise, Service Issues”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #38 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 5, 2010

When I first checked into this hotel, it seemed like a nice one, but I soon realized that this hotel had many flaws.

The first issue I encountered was having no hot water. It was luke warm, and it was late, so I just let it go, washed my hair real quick and went to bed. The bathrooms could use some updating. You have to do this super twist to reach the toilet paper, the sink was pretty small, and the tile was old and chipped. There was also no place to hang a hand towel to wipe your hands after washing it, so the towel I used stayed on the counter top.

The hotel room was a standard size. The TV was old and small. It didn't get many channels and the channels it did get, the picture was cut off on the right. It was also difficult to view from the desk. The lighting was decent in the room, which was nice. The bed was fairly firm, which was uncomfortable for me, but might be comfy for others. The pillows were very thin.

One of the issues I had was that I had pulled out my back two weeks prior and needed to use a heating pack on my back at night. There were no outlets anywhere near the bed, so I had to plug in my heating pad at the desk and sit in the chair for my heat therapy. I realize this isn't something that most people care about, so I didn't really factor this into my rating but I thought I'd mention it.

The biggest issue for me with this hotel was the street noise. I was on the 17th floor, but the noise was so loud that I barely slept for the three nights that I was here, even with earplugs. There's a parking garage under the hotel, and every time a car exits the garage it makes a loud beeping sound to alert pedestrians which sounds like an alarm clock. Because there are so many other tall buildings around, the sound just echos up. This hotel really needs to do a better job of insulating their rooms. I've never had such an issue sleeping due to noise before, especially with earplugs in. This is the major reason I only gave this hotel a 2* rating.

The second night I was there I also did not have hot water, so I phoned the front desk. They sent someone up to try and fix it about 15 minutes later. He pulled he awkwardly placed toilet paper holder out of the wall and did a bunch of adjusting inside until the water was warm enough. He asked me to check the water to make sure it was warm enough for me. This issue was resolved fairly quick. The next day I received a phone call from someone at the hotel making sure that this issue was fixed properly.

The other issue I had with this hotel was with room service. I had a late night at the conference I was attending and didn't feel like going out to dinner. Well, when the order arrived, it wasn't what I had ordered. I thought, did I say the wrong item, but the receipt said the right item. The person who delivered the meal told me to begin enjoying what was brought up and he would bring me back the correct order. About 5 minutes later he returned with the correct order.

If you're looking for a cheap lunch or early dinner, the Peachtree Center is attached to the hotel and has a food court with places like Chick fil A, Dairy Queen, and a bunch of other fast food places. It closes at 6pm. but it's a good option to have. There are a few stores in there as well, but none that were interesting except maybe Brooks Brothers.

I also ate at the restaurant on site here, which was just OK. The service was good, but the food was just average. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't excellent either. The bread was probably the best thing here. The lobster bisque was bland and the pieces of lobster inside were overcooked and tough. The trout was bland even though it looked like there was a lot of seasoning on it. Again, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

I should also note that there is a flat rate for taxis to the airport, $30. There's also a shuttle that leaves at specified increments for $18 to the airport. The internet is $13 a day and wasn't even that fast! Yikes.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel. I experienced too many issues, and the noise factor was just way too much. I was so exhausted after this trip because of the lack of sleep. At first glance, it seemed like it would be a nice hotel, but given all the issues, it just wasn't.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Atlanta

Reviewed February 26, 2010

Everything was absolutely top of the line. Customer service was excellent.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed at this hotel simply because they hosted the conference that brought us to Atlanta. We have mixed feelings about this hotel; let’s start with the good: Our king room was spacious and comfortable, although we marveled at the high-def television that only showed standard-def channels. We enjoyed the atrium architecture and view from the glass elevators. Every employee we encountered was happy and helpful. And lastly, the hotel is well located for access to downtown attractions such as the aquarium and using MARTA to get to/from airport.

The not-so-good: as is very common in this type of hotel, the food is pricey, but not much better than Denny’s. The bad: there is no self-parking and valet parking costs more per day than many car rentals. On top of that, waits of more than 30 minutes seem to be common when retrieving the car.

And now for the ugly: as is common for big chains, the internet does not come free. There are two plans, business and economy and the latter is highly restricted in what you can do (for example, you can send emails, but not with attachments). The rate was high ($12.95/day) and was charged PER DEVICE. You have two laptops? You get to pay double. If only the bad news ended there… the bandwidth was atrocious. The 1,260 rooms must share 14 Mbs! As a reference point, most households in America with high-speed internet get 5-25 Mbs (each). Thankfully, the organizers of our conference pulled in a temporary 100 Mbs line for us.

Bottom line, this is a fine hotel unless you require Internet access. The horrendous service is crippling and thus took our star rating from a probable 5-stars to 3-stars.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2010

After two pleasant nights at Hyatt Place-Perimeter I had to join colleagues downtown. Too bad, because my firm wound up paying more than double each night for a whole lot less.

I was in the International Tower where the room was small, but not too bad, and even had a small fridge. Visited one colleague in the Radius Tower, described on the hotel's Web site as "studio-style rooms." Well, to call that room a broom closet would be insulting to broom closets.

Typical Hyatt nickel and diming on everything (For example, Internet: $12.95/day). Lots of news and sports on TV but not much else. Long line to check out. Housekeeping was uneven at best. Enjoy the sirens, garbage trucks and everything else that blares all night long. Call the front desk and it's like calling the cable company - you wait and wait for someone to answer.

Downtown Atlanta is a scary place at night. Walking back the block from the subway on Peachtree St., I quickly realized you need to walk by the curb; the 1960s era Hyatt building design has crevices that the homeless congregate in. You will be asked for money.

Go visit Atlanta. See the sights. But for goodness sake, find a nice place in the suburbs that is safe and that will give you a lot more for a lot less. I highly recommend Hyatt Place-Perimeter (Hyatt Place is a world apart from Hyatt), a short walk or shuttle ride from Sandy Springs station (no car required). But Hyatt Regency Atlanta? Fuhgedaboutit!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Decided to 'take the plunge' for a "4 Star" hotel in down Atlanta will working. Location was great, but that's where it stopped. The hotel had the services of an upscale property: valet, bellservice, restaurant, bar, etc, but the room was sub-par at best. I expected 4 star room, but would rate it at 2 1/2 to 3. Room and bathroom were in poor repair, TV was old, mattress was uncomfortable, linens were low end. Room came with a $6 bottle of water (of course) but only had paper cups (no glass?) and an ice bucket with no lid. Ice machine didn't work on my floor. I had stayed in a 3 star Holiday Inn by the airport the previous 2 nights and found it to be much better appointed then this 4 star.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We had paid for our stay at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta from Jan 27-30 and when we arrived at 9 PM straight from our flight from NY, the assistant manager informed us after a long wait that they had no rooms available. He gave us a song and dance number about how, as a matter of policy, they do not book rooms unless the guests have shown up. I don't know if it's because we are Filipinos but there were several people on the line who were Americans that managed to get rooms. He offered to give us meeting rooms in which they would install roll-away beds and one regular room; and he would see about getting us real rooms for the following night. When we told him it was unacceptable, he said it was the only thing he could give. One of my companions thought of calling the tour operator in the US who booked our hotels and after we called and complained, the tour operator called the assistant manager. After the call he said he could manage to get us one night in the Hilton and the other two nights back in Hyatt. We refused and said he should change our booking for all 3 nights to the Hilton and give us a night free. After some discussion, he agreed and gave us a letter endorsing us to the Hilton. Thank God the staff in Hilton were more pleasant and more accommodating.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Arrived at around 5 pm. Having booked with priceline I wasn't able to request a room type, but at check in I was given a queen room in the Radius Tower and by request for a high floor was accommodated--22nd floor! The room was small but clean, and the view of downtown Atlanta was great. The bed was comfortable, but the linens did not seem to fit the bed well and were somewhat rough. The towels were also thin and rough. The location couldn't be better. It is walking distance to the GA Aquarium, World of Coke, Centennial Olympic Park, and Peachtree Center.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple