“Nice enough.. but they need to spend money on there internet access”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #36 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Nice enough.. but they need to spend money on there internet access”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

As a business traveler who travels on a weekly basis I am always in search for a home on the road.. this hotel is NOT my choice and the main reason is there internet services.

The hotel is nice enough.. room is nice and clean but a little on the small side. The staff is very nice and the selection of places to eat is also very appealing. Every night I need to log into email and check my calendar. The internet is SO SLOW that it was very unproductive and I am shocked they even charge for this because of it. I ungraded to there premium service and it was a little bit better but far from what you would expect. They need to spend a few dollars and upgrade this, for a business person this is not acceptable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jay B
HyattAtlanta, Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We do apologize for any inconvenience you experienced as we are in the process of a complete revamp and upgrade to our internet service. We do hope to have you back with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I make an annual trip to Atlanta for a convention. Many years we choose to stay at the Hyatt Regency for its convenient location and responsive service. MARTA station is very close and we use it for transfers to the airport. Great breakfast right across the street at reasonable prices. Convenient coffee shop in the lobby and the fitness room is adequate.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in the radius tower. Rooms too small.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and annual visits. We are happy to hear that you are pleased with our hotel and service and look forward to your return next year!
USA
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Hyatt Regency Hotel was very clean. The staff was courteous. The hotel is very close to restaurants and local attractions. Unfortunately, free wi-fi is only available in the lobby, which is a little noisy given the open atrium. The wi-fi signal was weak. The hotel has been recently renovated and the rooms are spacious and attractive.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street tend to be a little noisy during the weekend.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you with us in the future.
Dawsonville, GA
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently had the opportunity to stay at the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta. I would recommend this hotel as I enjoyed the stay had a nice room and the people all there were very nice. I attended a conference at the hotel and the conference facilities were all very well arranged.

Room Tip: I would select a room that is on a higher floor due to the noise of traffic in the area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit with us!
Upstate NY,USA
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta for three days on business. The cab ride one way from the airport was $40. While the location is fantastic, if sleep is important to you - this is not the place to stay. The design of the hotel is with the rooms around the outer walls, with an open center concept. The bar is on the ground floor - center. The echoeing laughter, etc from the bar kept me awake until well after 2am. The room was satisfactory, and the internet service awful. Check out was easy; that was the best part of my stay.

Room Tip: Stay on the highest floor possible !
1 Thank gri396
Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay due to noise and internet service. We do hope you give us the chance to wow you in the future.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I spent three days at the Hyatt Regency in October. The room was satisfactory. I was in the city on business, however, and the internet access at the hotel was the worst I have ever seen. An email that takes 5 minutes to compose and send normally would take an hour, with the poor connection and slow response time being the issues. It was awful. I am pretty sure this is the 21st century. Hyatt will need to remedy this issue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the internet. We are in the process of a complete revamp and upgrade to our internet service. We do hope to have you back with us in the future.
Winston, GA
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We arrived rather late on Oct. 31 (yes, Halloween night). We live near Atlanta, so this was somewhat of a staycation for me in a four-star hotel while my wife attended a conference. As soon as we arrived, a helpful valet was at our door, helping us out with our bags and checking in our car to park. Check-in was swift and easy. Cheryl (whose name I recall because she wrote it on the small envelop holding our room keycard, along with our room number) was helpful and very welcoming, even entertaining my request for a city-view room on a high floor with a decent view.

Cheryl booked us into a room on the 20th floor of the International Tower. The room was reasonably spacious and very clean. The hotel was built in the 1960s, but has been kept beautifully modern.

First, I want to take the hotel to task on a few points that might affect your stay.

One, the WiFi. You still have to pay for it, and why this isn’t just included now escapes me. It’s about $10 a day to use one machine (iPad, smartphone, laptop, whatever) or $20 a day for up to three AND the ability to use those devices elsewhere around the hotel (in the lobby and conference areas). For $20, you also get a faster connection than the $10 option. And for more than $20 ($35, I think), you also get premium movies that you can stream on the television in your room. My wife and I went with the $20 option, and download speeds were solid – but service was not. I kept encountering “Limited Access” every few hours on the WiFi connection. If I pay $20 a day for WiFi, it needs to be reliable. (Even now, as I write this review on my laptop in the hotel’s spacious, soaring and immaculate lobby, having checked out and waiting for my wife to finish her conference, I have “Limited Access,” though the signal I’ve paid for shouldn’t expire until about 11 p.m. tonight.)

Two, to park at the hotel is to use the valet parking, which is $32 a day billed back to your room. They don’t make a secret of this (though they didn’t tell us about it until the valet had already whisked away our car). There’s another deck nearby that’s $18 a day, but be ready to haul your luggage through the streets back to the hotel, fellas. The valets are extremely courteous and careful with your car, though.

Three, housekeeping is fast, efficient, but not terribly friendly. Lady cleaned our room twice while I was there. She cleaned the bathroom and made the bed each time, and took out our trash. I tipped her, but she just snatched the money off the nightstand and crammed it in her pocket like it was the least I could do. (Not that the room was a sty by any means, mind you; I kept the place tidied up pretty well, given that I was perpetually in the room.) She also wasn’t much for conversation or small talk. But, she always restocked the coffee and supplies in the room and left the place clean and spotless, and was in and out in about three minutes. I can’t complain too much.

And finally, this hotel was once one of the tallest buildings in the city, topped by a distinctive UFO-looking structure that, as a boy, I remember seeing from almost all parts of the growing city and always wanted to see inside. The structure was called the Polaris, and while it still sits atop the hotel, it is closed. Polaris was a rotating restaurant that was evidently a lot more interesting before the hotel became dwarfed by the much taller buildings that now surround it, obstructing the view. The hotel is looking for bids to come up with a new concept of how to use that space, which it is now using for storage. It’s disappointing that what was once such a distinguishing piece of this wonderful hotel is now being used to store chairs and such.

OK, now on with the assessment and points to praise.

The bathroom was somewhat small by contemporary standards. The adjustable shower head went from garden-hose dribble to hide-stripping spray, which was nice, and the curved shower curtain rod and small hooks on the wall kept the curtain off while showering while making the shower feel roomier. The sink has high pressure, such that even on a low setting it’s inclined to blow back on you, which means you need to give your crotch some time to dry before heading downstairs after washing your hands or brushing your teeth. Towels, soaps and a hairdryer are stored on a shelf below the counter. The toilet is industrial and splashes, so shut the lid before you flush.

The closet has an iron, ironing board, built-in hangers and a rack to hold your suitcase. Next to it is a small counter with a single-serve coffee maker (not a Keurig or anything; just the kind that you’d find at most hotels these days) that brewed a better cup of coffee than I’ve had at other hotels with the same setup (I always try them; I’ve already paid for the coffee so why not, right?).

The rest of the room is around a corner, which is nice since people can come and go even if someone is undressed in the room; you can’t see in any further past the coffee maker and closet from the hall.

The bed was extremely comfortable. We stayed in a room with a king bed, and each nightstand had outlets above it to charge phones, along with lamps built into the wall for reading. One nightstand had an alarm clock with an input dock for .mp3 players and a dock on top for iPhones and iPods (though not the most recent version with the weird “lightning port” or whatever they call it). They have decorative throws that are pretty and must be thrown to sleep on the bed. The regular pillows – five small square pillows – were very comfortable.

The accent chair in the room was just that: an accent, for decoration. Not very comfortable to lounge on, I thought. I ended up laying on the bed to read or watch television.

The workdesk is nice. A regular chair on one said, a rolling swivel chair on the other and trashcan under the desk. There are input ports on the desk below the television for you to hook up whatever you could imagine to the large flat screen HD television in the room, but bring your own cables.

The television is interactive, and if you’re attending a conference you can find your schedule, agenda, etc. in menus on the television. The remote has a rollerball mouse built into it so you can scroll through the many menus. Not that many television stations, surprisingly. We would like to have watched “American Horror Story” the night we arrived, but no FX. They really want you to pay for movies on it, not watch cable.

The view – the view was incredible. We were looking right through the city. The room is oriented so the windows are at the foot of your bed, and you can fall asleep with the spectacular, restless orange glow of the city filling your room. It was awesome. Or, you can use the blackout curtains, which are so effective that you’ll find yourself easily disoriented about the time of day. It’s as dark as an interior cabin of a cruise ship. If you want light and privacy, there’s also some more sheer curtains you can draw. Although our room had no balcony, there was still a sliding door and railing beyond that allowed you to look out and even leave it open for some fresh air in the room, which I did one morning.

Let’s see, what else? You can hear plumbing very clearly in the rooms adjacent and above you. The alarm clock’s light can be turned off, so the room is pitch dark. You can hear people going down the hall pretty well, and especially if your room is near the vending area (“who needs that much ice at 1 a.m.?” you find yourself asking). The “Market” is well-stocked with sandwiches, pizza, sodas, energy drinks and one of those awesome new automated Coca-Cola soda fountains with like 140 different drink selections in it. The whoopee pies there were excellent. The staff is wonderful; everyone has been so helpful and accommodating.

There are great places to eat within a short walk up the street from the hotel. Hard Rock Café, Hooters, a Chick-fil-A, etc. are nearby. I went and picked up Roly Poly for lunch one day (down near Georgia State; you can order ahead online), Hooters one day (again, ordered ahead online) and met my wife for lunch at the Corner Bakery right across the street. All were very good. Although, getting take-out from Hooters is really a crime.

Not only would I stay here again, but I hope one day that I can.

Room Tip: International Tower rooms may say they have a balcony, but it's really just a ledge with a guard...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your in-depth and interactive review. Its reviews like these that really give our future guests a live picture of what they can expect once they arrive. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and do hope to have you stay with us again in the future.