“Nice, Upscale and Updated (But Pretty Small) Room”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #39 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 1, 2008

My wife and I spent the weekend of Feb 29, 2008, in downtown Atlanta. We stayed in the Hyatt, mainly because we got an excellent rate online ($64 per night!! That's less than you'll pay at many nasty one- and two-star highway hotels!) Having read the various TripAdvisor reviews, we were not sure about what we would get for our low rate. As it turns out, we were reasonably pleased with our room (but not very impressed with the rest of the hotel).

At check-in, we noted the somewhat dated appearance of the hotel lobby. Although the soaring atrium with the glass elevators is supposed to be the central feature, it is not all that impressive; the atrium in the Marriott Marquis, next door, is much more interesting and impressive. The front desk clerk was ok, but not the friendliest (why, these days, have so many hotel workers forgotten that they are in the 'hospitality' industry? All that is needed is one smile and a few warm words of welcome to make a good first impression, you know!) He was efficient enough though. In about 7 minutes we were on our way to our room, which turned out to be in the Radius Tower --a circular glass building that seems to have been added on to the main hotel.

The appearance of the room was very nice. It had floor-to-ceiling windows along the entire curved outer wall, which gave the room a bright and open feeling. It's a good thing too--the room was actually very small. It reminded me of European hotel rooms --just big enough for a desk, nightstand, a chair and a queen sized bed. It was cramped, but nevertheless ok for two people for a short stay. It looked like the room had been recently renovated. It had clean beige carpeting in the bedroom and stone flooring in the entry way; and a spotless (but very tiny) bathroom with marble vanity and tiled, glass-enclosed shower. All fixtures and fittings looked new, including a 32" plasma tv that was built-in to the wall at the side of the bed (you can pull the tv out and angle it a little to view from the bed...but have to be careful not to hit your head on it when getting out of bed on that side!) There was a nice new black and silver personal coffee-maker in the room. The 'Luxurious Hyatt Bed' was attractive and quite comfortable, though we found it to be a bit on the hard side and not as plush as the 'Westin Heavenly Bed' and the beds at some of the newer Marriotts we have stayed at. All in all, it was a very interesting, clean, upscale and modern room, even if it was small. The picture of the 'Radius Tower Guestroom' on the Hyatt Regency Atlanta web site is quite accurate.

One downside to the guestroom --the sun shining on the wall of windows between 8am and 9am led to the room becoming very hot. We had to run the air conditioner at full blast at 9am and it took a while for the small room to cool! Also, the bathroom does not have any airconditioning vents in it. So, in the middle of the night, although we had the bedroom at a comfortable temperature, the bathroom was cold.

Others have noted in their reviews that this is a convention hotel. We didn't think that would be a problem, until we went down to the lobby lounge for a drink at 7pm...it was packed with a couple of hundred people, and others were overflowing into the lobby with their drinks. That was kind of crazy and unpleasant. When we managed to get a table, it took about 20 minutes to get served! When we went to dinner a couple of hours later, a few very drunk and very loud conventioneers were having trouble pushing their way through the revolving doors at the hotel entrance, as hotel staff and other guests looked on, bemused. If throngs of loud conventioneers will spoil the experience for you, you may want to avoid this hotel!

We checked out the menu at the hotel restaurant (Avanzare), but found the menu to be somewhat limited (it is a steak place and has little else) and quite overpriced --we just don't enjoy steak enough to pay $48 for one! So we turned to the hotel concierge for help. She was slightly friendlier than the front desk clerk. She quickly whipped out a sheet of local restaurants and pushed a book of sample menus in front of us when we asked for a hotel recommendation (she was probably tired of answering the same questions all day long with all those annoying conventioneers in town!) There are several decent restaurants, in a variety of price ranges, within walking distance. We ended up eating at Ray's in the City --an above-average seafood restaurant, almost directly across from the hotel, where we had a pleasant and tasty dining experience (see our TripAdvisor review!)

All in all, we enjoyed our short stay at the Hyatt Regency, mainly because of the upscale, modern and clean room which we got a a very low rate. It probably deserves 3.5 stars. We would have been happier if the service had been a little friendlier and if the lobby areas had been updated and more interesting and impressive. But at $64 a night, we can't complain too much!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lville3

Reviewed February 26, 2008

When we checked in, I felt that we were a victim of "bait and switch." The employee insisted that our original room was so small that we could hardly turn around in it, and for "only $30 we could have a much larger room with a kingsize bed. We took the larger room, and it was pretty basic. When we got to our room, the cleaning had not been completed. We found the maid, and she told us that she had to finish another room "because it was for a VIP." So much for our status! Nice, comfortable bed; shabby carpet that needed cleaning and restretching, and one of the most uncomfortable (and ripped) overstuffed chairs that I have ever sat in. (You could make it tolerable if you put three pillows in it and kind of slumped over.) The breakfast buffet was $18 for a well-prepared, but basic breakfast. The next day, we had an excellent breakfast at the Metro diner for under $5, and we could eat breakfast at the Ritz Carlton for cheaper than the Hyattt. The conceirge acted like we were bothering her by asking for a Thai restaurant. Her repertoire of restaurant recommendations consisted of handing our a Xerox copy of names and directions to about a dozen restaurants near the Hyatt. Retrieving our car from the garage always took about twenty minutes. I sometimes called in advance and sometimes just showed up. It didn't seem to matter whether it was crowded or not. It just seemed to take twenty minutes no matter what.

All-in-all, the hotel treated me like I was a captive conventioneer, and they could care less about my experience.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank monjoy
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I stayed here for a conference at a $169/nt. conference rate. I have seen this hotel advertised for less than $100/nt. on the weekends, but the conference began on the same weekend as some national cheerleading event and most of donwtown was booked.
Check-in was smooth and easy. Check-out was a little problematic as I was twice given receipts for rooms that were not my own.
I had forgotten some items and had to buy them in the gift shop and I was over-charged and one item I bought was not placed in my bag.
Other than these two events my stay was good--nice, quiet room that was very spacious. I was told there were no king beds at check-in but when I expressed my unhappiness I was given a room with a king that was over-sized with a sort of foyer like area and a separate bedroom. I was quite pleased with the room.
The lobby cafe had a daily buffet at breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was not anything grand but it was tasty and priced at $10.50 per person making it a real deal.
The people were kind and efficient and overall I would choose this place as my downtown destination of choice.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank BeingGreen
Reviewed January 26, 2008

this was a great stay,i was there on business and the employees were great.i see what they mean about southern hospitality.the employees always had smiles and offered assistance.the hotel operators were very proffessional ,they even offer back up calls and breakfast.i would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a meeting. It is not the hotel's fault, but downtown Atlanta is pretty dismal and deserted on the weekends. The place was clean and nice enough. The gym was PHENOMENAL. The food was SUBPAR. We ended up walking to the Ritz to get food at night for dinner. The location is good for being close to the subway, which will take you directly to the airport!

• Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank rockybird
Reviewed December 17, 2007

Since we were travelling with an infant, I called beforehand to make sure that our room would be large enough for a baby crib. The front desk said they'd make sure it was taken care of, and upon my arrival a very large room was indeed waiting for me. Service was excellent. Very polite, efficient, and helpful.
As others have said, the hotel is a bit dated, but the facilities are still quite nice. Bedding is quite luxurious, and the location is excellent.
The hotel is connected directly to the mall next door, which is connected to Marta. We made it from our hotel room to Phillips Arena without going outside, which was great in the freezing rain.
The valet parking is expensive and didn't look reliable, so I parked a block away for $6.00 a day. This was much less expensive and my car was then available whenever I wanted it.
All in all, this was a great stay for an unbelievably inexpensive price.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank StElmoChatt
Reviewed December 16, 2007

This is not a 4 star hotel in any way! The service was horrible waited all day for a package to get to my room and kept getting the run around from the staff that is employeed there. Room Service got my order completely wrong then said they were out of the item I wanted originally. The bathroom behind the door was dirty. Valet couldn't get the car brought around then the morning of check out 3 other people before me were getting mad waiting for the cars to be located and brought around. They do not have a pool that's heated for the winter months. No jacuzzi to relax in. I will never book at this hotel ever again,

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business