“My annual Dragon Con Stay”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #38 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I stayed here for the annual Dragon Con and received one of the renovated rooms. The beds were amazing and the room looked fantastic. Our housekeeper was very attentive to our needs and was very pleasant every day.
I did have a bit of a problem with my reservation but the hotel manager handled it for me very quickly. The overall look of the hotel atrium is a huge improvement and I was very pleased with my entire experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattAtlanta, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during Dragon Con. We know that you had many hotels to choose from so your visit is much appreciated. It pleases me to see that the one issue you did have was handled quickly, which is one of the ways we try to set ourselves a part from the others. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service. We look forward to having you stay with us again for Dragon Con 2012!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,168)

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed at the Atlanta Hyatt in August for a conference. I'd been to this hotel previously a couple of years ago and everything had gone well. This time was different.

Upon check-in, I found out that my Radius Tower room didn't include a bathtub. I asked to be moved to a different room so I could have a tub, but no luck - front desk person told me I couldn't be moved because I'd booked a room in Radius. I pointed out that the website doesn't specify whether or not a bathtub is included in the different room types, but that got me nowhere. On the bright side, the room was very cute and comfortable, if New York-style tiny. The tower itself is round, so the rooms are strangely shaped. The room was quiet, too; several colleagues staying in different towers said they were bothered by construction noise, but I never heard any.

The second day of my stay, I came in to by room after housekeeping had been in and found the bathroom and main room trash combined and left on the bed. It took multiple phone calls to get someone to come in, take the trash and change the bedcover. There's a decorative coverlet that goes at the bottom of the bed, and housekeeping put the same one back on the bed even though it had yogurt on it from a discarded container. I asked for a different coverlet, and the housekeeping person took the dirty one away but never brought back a clean one. I went to the front desk to explain the situation and to let them know that I hadn't stolen the blanket.

On the third day, I bit into a breakfast pastry at the on-site conference and found a lovely piece of someone's weave. Tasty.

On the fourth day, I returned from my conference day to find that my allergy medicines, kept on a desk next to the bed, had been knocked over, and that my prescription eyedrops were missing. A very sweet manager from housekeeping came up and helped me look, although in a Radius Tower room there's not that much area for anything to hide. Getting those eyedrops replaced was a total pain, and again it took multiple phone calls to get anything done by the Hyatt. Eventually, I was reimbursed my copayment for replacement eyedrops and got a free night at the Hyatt to use in the future, although heaven knows I'm reluctant to return.

Next time I'm in Atlanta, I'll be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Radius Tower rooms are quiet and cute but lack a bathtub - shower only.
2  Thank terrierhead

Thank you for taking time to write your review about our property. We appreciate your feedback and will address your concerns with the appropriate departments. Thank you again for making us aware of your experience and we hope that you will use that free night and give us another chance to wow you in the future. We would value the opportunity to speak with you in further detail about your experience and have sent you a private note, with contact information for who you can speak with directly.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

A friend and I stayed here for a weekend in June. I wanted to be downtown so we could walk as much as possible. Its only a block or two from the Peachtree Station (Marta) which makes for easy transportation in the Atlanta area, including to Turner Field, which we took advantage of. There was construction going on while we were there and as a result the elevators most conveniently located to our room was unavailable. We were on the 24th floor so street noise was not an issue. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The concierges were a bit hit and miss. One wasn't helpful, one gave us incorrect info, but two where very helpful and gave us maps of restaurants we could walk to. Having to pay to valet park and to pay for Internet seem a bit outrageous compared to the price of the hotel stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I paid in advance but they still charged me when I stayed there. It took over a week to reach them, they had no email. I can not spend a fortune calling them from Sweden. Finally they gave me the money back but no compensation for the extra costs they caused me. The bank charged me extra, as they always do, for the money Hyatt charged me but I got a lot less back. And the Hyatt people just dismiss me. I am being punished for their mistake. Disappointing!

Room Tip: Get a room in another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennie1972
HyattAtlanta, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

Good Morning Jennie,

Thank you for your feedback. As we did refund the total amount to your bank card, we do apologize for the inconvenience the extra banking charges we may have caused you. We are working hard to make sure that the fee of eight dollars are returned in a timely manner and to further investigate these charges. Hyatt Regency Atlanta prides itself on taking care of our customers and we will make it our duty to make sure you are helped. You will receive a phone call from our representative concerning this matter. I have also included a personal message with my contact information for any additional questions. Thank you and we look forward to you staying with us here again at Hyatt Regency Atlanta.

Best,
Richard Walter, Director of Rooms

Reviewed August 30, 2011

I stayed in August while they are still doing the remodel. There really wasn't any noise or problems due to the work. I stayed in the Atrium Tower and the rooms were very nice. I heard from those travelling with me that the other tower though, has very small, oddly shaped rooms. The lobby bar is remodeled and great, even has personal taps at your table so you can pour your own beer! The lobby restaurant was closed so we sent downstairs to the gourmet restaurant for breakfast--mistake. The service was poor and the food was expensive despite being served in crockpots on bookshelves. The check in and bell staff were super friendly and very helpful. The hotel is connected by inside walkways to the Hilton and Marriott. The Hilton is similar to the Hyatt, but I was blown away by how nice the Marriott was. If I ever go back to Atlanta, I'm staying at the Marriott if possible.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Dissapointed with this hotel. Small rooms that are not cleaned very well. Service is just ok and parking is outrageously expensive. Stay away from hotel if you can.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Although half the lobby was under construction, the staff was extremely friendly with a quick check-in, check-out process. Due to a late morning meeting, requested a late check out with no problems at all. The skybridge linking to the Marriott was very convenient. and the radius rooms were perfect for a single traveler...very clean and comfortable. Will definitely return for my next trip to downtown ATL.