“Nice Hotel - Pay for Extras”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #37 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in one of their Radius Tower rooms along with another couple. We had a really good overall experience, staff were friendly, rooms were clean and updated. The location was great, exactly what we were looking for. The price was great, we were able to get our room for $99 a night on the 4th of July weekend.
Downsides - if you stay here, and want any amenities or perks, expect to pay. Internet is $12 a day. Valet parking is $29 a day and there is no continental breakfast. The TV channels are very limited, and our bathroom had no counter space. Like an earlier post said, the AC was loud, but that didn't bother us too much.
I would probably stay here again, but would look to find an alternative to the parking situation.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 5, 2011

Let me preface this review by saying that I stay at a lot of Hyatt properties as a member of their Gold PassPort program. I use Hyatt Summerfield's and Hyatt Place's thru out the month nationally and the Andaz in London and New York for business. I believe Hyatt Corporation has a good product and business model across all their rate lines and facilities. Some are better than others, but I do see them as improving and will continue to use them. I will discuss my recent stay at the Hyatt Regency at 265 Peachtree Street In Atlanta, Georgia. I list the address as several persons and reviews on Trip Advisor are not reviewing the correct properties. There is a Hyatt Place nearby and a Grand Hyatt and several Hyatt Place's and Summerfield properties. This is the original Hyatt Regency in Atlanta and the first John Portman designed interior atrium hotel in the country from 1969. The blue domed Hyatt.
We stayed at the Hyatt Regency from July 1 thru the afternoon of July 4th 2011. The reservations were made thru Hyatt.com and were a bit difficult for the first customer rep to handle and were not correct. A quick second call put me in touch with a very informed and efficient young woman who understood I needed two rooms. One room was to be handicap accessible and interconnected to any type room available. She corrected the earlier rep who had stated no such guarantee can be made and assignment would be at the discretion of the desk upon arrival. This was corrected by the second rep and the reservation completed. Very Good.
We arrived 1400 on July 1 and the front entrance was packed. A bellman met us and took the bags promptly. Valet was efficient and courteous and the car disappeared. The valet rate of $29.00 per night with in/out access is not out of line with this area and works well. My party found seats in the lobby and I went to the check in line and went to a station identifying by sign as the Diamond/Platinum check in. No one was manning the station and after a moment a young woman said she would be right with me. I should mention that the hotel was hosting two very large family reunions, a very large contigent of teenage girls volleyball clubs from around the U.S. and several other smaller groups. We were assigned rooms 2109 and 2110 on the 21st floor. She explained things I already knew and some local items about the property I didn't know. She worked quickly and thanked me for being a Hyatt Platinum member. Her name was Stephanie Ellis and she gave me a card with a extension number to call if anything was not to standard.
The rooms were exactly as we reserved. The bellman was waiting for us with our bags and also got ice for both rooms and called housekeeping to get a refrigerator sent up for our seniors's medications and a extended shower bench for the handicap shower. It was there within ten minutes. Good job ! Internet was free for us and log on was fast. The furnishings were not new, but not worn to extreme, but they are ready for upgrading. Not Hyatt standards elsewhere.
((( This property is in the midst of a very expensive rehab. Work is going on while guests are there. the particular floors are shielded by plastic screening in the atrium completely, but you can hear the noise in the rooms))).
The televisions in both rooms were very small analog 32 " Panasonics w/remotes that are not sold any longer. I threw out the last one of this model years ago. That was not good. Our bathroom was clean, if a bit worn and a strange height for the sink. Plenty of towels and essentials. The handicap room was set up with good door clearance, accessible counters and heights for wheelchairs and a good handicap bathroom with roll in shower. A shower bench still left plenty of room and the room functioned well although it needs lower counters than the over sink glass shelving and additional handrails for the older toilet. The furnishings were older in this room also.
Electric curtain/sheer controls worked for the handicap room. The rooms were fronted Peachtree Street and very loud boom,booming could be heard at all hours, but that is everywhere in Atlanta, but better glazed glass doors could alleviate some of that. The balconies run the width of the rooms thru sliding glass doors. No furnishings were on the decks. Not a single chair on any of them that I could see from the 21st floor. The beds were usual quality mattresses with mattress pads and sheet/comforter/sheet topped. Lamps are all the old push button in the base types. Ipod clocks on nightstands. Good desk space and lamps and chairs.
plenty of hangers, iron board and iron. Doors to the room have too much gap at floor as do the old style doors at many places. There was nothing about the rooms that would make me want to change rooms except for the ancient analog televisions. They are dirt cheap these days.
Maid service happened after we left midmorning and was complete when we returned in late afternoon. Good job. The lobby was very full most of the time, but they were close to capacity.
The pool is a nice area down one level from lobby and requires room key for access. The sun is only available for middle of day as high rises surround. Towels were always being restocked even though a lot of the guests did not understand pool etiquette with towels and furniture. ((Small children being changed from clothes to bathing suits at pool, adults hauling in sacks of fast food to be consumed by groups at pool tables and loungers-not even thinking of using poolfor anything more than hanging out, using clean towels for napkins, to dry face/hair while still in pool and throwing to side)) this problem is a tough one for the hotel as the rate structure and the specials make this an attractive property for very large groups and reunions. The lower levels are set up for large conferences and groups and appear to be well thought out for organized groups.
Food and beverage.......... the coffee shop is currently just a kiosk on the lobby level. I was told it will be more substantial when the rehab is complete. The main restaraunt, Avanzare on the lower level also serves the breakfast buffet. I have never seen a buffet serving area like this one. Never. The hot plates are set in several three tier room dividers (?). That is the best way to describe. You bend over to remove lid for one item and stand on toes to see inside large iron oven bowls for next item. Very odd and messy. The staff in the restaraunt is efficient and works quickly. Good staff, just odd set up. I never saw many persons in Avanzare during the evening hours. Looking at menu, I could not tell what specialty was. Every place in this town uses grits and claims new southern fusion, but I didn't try, so it may be good, even if no one was in the dining room for three nights. I was told no room service was available when I tried to place order to be sent up to wife.
The main level bar/restaurant does not seem to have a personality of it's own. the staff are good and in particular, I want to single out bartender Brett as being what a bartender should be. Cordial with plenty of personality and not a shy bone in his body. He'd work for me if I were in the bar business. The food runs the gamut and some is better than others. Mussels were nice, cheese soup was not nice. We tried many items one night and wound up ordering burgers to fill up. Also they serve a lot of things in these wood boxes. very trendy and very hard to eat from unless you don't really want to eat and just want to look trendy. The bar area gets a lot of pedestrian traffic through that it doesn't need. Specialty drinks were mostly good.
Conceirge was friendly and actually knew where things were nearby and how to give directions. that is a very good thing.
Check out was good , even though Diamond/Platinum line was not staffed again, but I doubt there were many Gold PassPort members staying. I was pleased with our stay, but wish they would have made better room assignment to a frequent corporate guest. They can keep the buffet. I might try this property again when more progress is made on the rehab. The potential is there. The staff and management seem to be there. They just need something to work with in the way of facilities and raise the rates a little when they're finished. From what I saw of some the groups there when I was sitting and watching, the place is liable to get wore out by groups before they can complete the rehab.
Also, there is no shuttle van at this property. None. No problem, but persons keep getting the local 2-3 mile free shuttle confused with the many different Hyatt's in Atlanta.
I'll try the Atlanta Hyatt Regency again and hope for a new or better room and further finishing touches on the entire property. In it's day, it was the place.

I am not a travel agent nor have any affiliations with this property or corporation and am not a travel agent , married to one or affiliated with any travel organizations and am not reimbursed or compensated in my travels.

Room Tip: #1 See Room First #2 Ask About Lg.Groups/Age ?
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank DeWhit
Reviewed July 2, 2011

at the check in I asked for a room on a high floor and told Jare (the Lady at the Reception) that I wanted a nice room with a view and she recommended me the one on the7th floor as the higher floors were not with a great view. as per her advice I was very happy with my room in the International tower. Booked it via Hotwire and for an Amazing. price

No Free Internet

Really Good Lobby with some nice bars and restaurants. connected to Peach Street Station of the MARTA making with very easy to travel across the city.

One problem was that when I asked room service for ICE I was told that it would be 4 $ while a vending machine with free ice was just around the corner on my floor which she could have told me about but didn't bother and hence I paid for ICE once.

Reviewed July 1, 2011

Three design features of the room were bad, bad, bad in terms of getting a reasonable nights sleep:
- noisy aircon fan that came close to waking you each time it clicked on
- a door closer on the front door that moved so fast you could only catch it to close the door quietly if you had Olympian reaction times. Otherwise the door slammed shut with a big bang and so did the doors of the other guests.
- one of those opaque windows between the bathroom and bedroom. If your travelling companion has to answer the call of nature in the night, the bedroom is flooded with light. Not a good story.

The reception is in a cavernous lobby with no comfy chairs and not one element of comfort or softness.

I requested a later than usual checkout (by one hour) and was told by the operator that if I was late checking out i would be charged an additional half day's room rate. Fair enough, but she could have been pleasant about it. There wasn't even a hint of Southern hospitality in the way my request was handled.

On the plus side, the location provides excellent access to the MARTA train system and is on a direct line to the airport. It's also within easy walking distance to the CNN centre, Coca-Cola Museum and Olympic park.

On a future visit to Atlanta I'd be looking for a hotel with a lot more soul and a lot more comfort.

1  Thank MelbourneKaz
HyattAtlanta, Director Of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Good Afternoon,
We’re sad to hear that you did not enjoy the accommodations of your recent trip. We appreciate the business that each and every one of our customers brings to our hotel. Your stay should have been no exception. You will be happy to know that we are undergoing a 65 million transformation to provide guest with a more home away from home feel. As we are one of the largest hotels in the downtown region, comfort and southern hospitality is one of our utmost goals. We hope to have you back to experience the new product and southern hospitality firsthand.

Best,
Richard Walter, Director of Rooms

Reviewed June 30, 2011

I've never written a review before but this hotel is so bad. First of all everthing is so broken and dirty. We stayed on the 5 floor and the toilet didn't flush, the phone was broke,and the beds were tiny and uncomfortable. I ended up sleeping on the floor because my wife and i didn't fit. Horrible experience. Its the quality of a $29 hotel. I wish someone would of warned me.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Steve B
HyattAtlanta, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your feedback. We are interested in receiving more information regarding your stay here at Hyatt Regency Atlanta. Our hotel is known for its exquisite service and amenities and to here that resulted in such an undesirable stay. If you would, please take the time to respond to the personal message with my personal email address and phone number. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Richard Walter, Director of Rooms

Reviewed June 30, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on business for one night and all the staff I ran into were very nice and assisted me with everything I needed. Room service was quick and the food was excellent...and hot! I had lunch at the hotels main restaurant and again, both the food and the staff were excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel!

The hotel is under going some renovations right now but that wouldn't stop me from going back to the hotel as the renovations were clearly noted with paperwork in the room and they were not an eyesore.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

In June 2011 I stayed in the Radius Tower during a conference. The hotel is under renovation in the conference and lobby areas, but all the construction seems to be a cosmetic update and not to make it more comfortable for anyone who has made the mistake to stay there.

The Radius Tower rooms are small, with just a queen size bed. My room seemed recently renovated and was quite clever in the use of space. The bed, bedstand and desk fill one wall, while the curved outside wall is one giant window. There is a room separator that contains shelves and a closet, though the hotel fills the shelves with the coffeemaker and ice bucket/cups. In fact, they make sure that all the flat surfaces have SOMETHING on them so be prepared to shove stuff around if you want any room to put down any of your stuff. Toiletries and towels were of good quality. The stall shower was a good size, and the shower provided good power though it was not a massage unit.

Getting to the hotel via MARTA is much harder than it needs to be. They apparently expect you to arrive via the International Tower entrance (outside) rather than the Peachtree Center entrance, even though the hotel's connection to Peachtree Center makes it an attractive route on rainy or hot days. When I complained that the hotel's renovation didn't seem to be aimed at helping with handicap accessibility to Peachtree Center, every employee merely extended a hard-to-use offer of assistance rather than attempting to understand the problem.

Overall the service has the same problem as at many other Hyatts; they expect you to stand there and wait around until they get around to waiting on you hand and foot, rather than providing the signage and self-service tools you need to get what you want when you want it. I hope that improved signage is part of their renovation plans, but judging by the areas that aren't currently being worked on, I don't have much hope for that. They seem to think that it's more convenient for you to spend a lot of time finding someone to ask for help than for them to mess up their decoration with the information you need.

I like that the Raidus Tower was close to Peachtree Center for affordable food options and easy travel to other sits via MARTA, as long as you don't have luggage with you. With luggage, either be prepared to heft your bags up some stairs, or go the outside route and blunder around on unfamiliar streets looking for an unmarked entrance to the hotel. They have a sign saying that they don't change the sheets or towels except on request. They did not change my sheets for my 3-day stay, but did replace the towels that I left on the floor. When they remake your bed, the made it up so that the bottom sheet comes untucked when I pulled out the covers, which is annoying.

Internet access is expensive, $12 for basic access and $18 (!) if you actually want to VPN to work and get something done. It is apparently common for groups to negotiate a lower rate for their attendees, so check into it. Access on the business plan seemed full speed and trouble-free for the 2 days I purchased it They charged me twice for one day's access but removed the duplicate charge from my bill when I asked them to.

In summary: a reasonably comfortable downtown hotel that presents an appearance of luxury. I suspect management is more interested in maintaining appearances than actually making anyone comfortable. And I feel pity for those unlucky enough to work there. You can probably find better choices for the money.