“Noisy, impersonal and poor value for money”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #40 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Three design features of the room were bad, bad, bad in terms of getting a reasonable nights sleep:
- noisy aircon fan that came close to waking you each time it clicked on
- a door closer on the front door that moved so fast you could only catch it to close the door quietly if you had Olympian reaction times. Otherwise the door slammed shut with a big bang and so did the doors of the other guests.
- one of those opaque windows between the bathroom and bedroom. If your travelling companion has to answer the call of nature in the night, the bedroom is flooded with light. Not a good story.

The reception is in a cavernous lobby with no comfy chairs and not one element of comfort or softness.

I requested a later than usual checkout (by one hour) and was told by the operator that if I was late checking out i would be charged an additional half day's room rate. Fair enough, but she could have been pleasant about it. There wasn't even a hint of Southern hospitality in the way my request was handled.

On the plus side, the location provides excellent access to the MARTA train system and is on a direct line to the airport. It's also within easy walking distance to the CNN centre, Coca-Cola Museum and Olympic park.

On a future visit to Atlanta I'd be looking for a hotel with a lot more soul and a lot more comfort.

1  Thank MelbourneKaz
HyattAtlanta, Director Of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Good Afternoon,
We’re sad to hear that you did not enjoy the accommodations of your recent trip. We appreciate the business that each and every one of our customers brings to our hotel. Your stay should have been no exception. You will be happy to know that we are undergoing a 65 million transformation to provide guest with a more home away from home feel. As we are one of the largest hotels in the downtown region, comfort and southern hospitality is one of our utmost goals. We hope to have you back to experience the new product and southern hospitality firsthand.

Best,
Richard Walter, Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (4,229)

Reviewed June 30, 2011

I've never written a review before but this hotel is so bad. First of all everthing is so broken and dirty. We stayed on the 5 floor and the toilet didn't flush, the phone was broke,and the beds were tiny and uncomfortable. I ended up sleeping on the floor because my wife and i didn't fit. Horrible experience. Its the quality of a $29 hotel. I wish someone would of warned me.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Steve B
HyattAtlanta, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your feedback. We are interested in receiving more information regarding your stay here at Hyatt Regency Atlanta. Our hotel is known for its exquisite service and amenities and to here that resulted in such an undesirable stay. If you would, please take the time to respond to the personal message with my personal email address and phone number. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on business for one night and all the staff I ran into were very nice and assisted me with everything I needed. Room service was quick and the food was excellent...and hot! I had lunch at the hotels main restaurant and again, both the food and the staff were excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel!

The hotel is under going some renovations right now but that wouldn't stop me from going back to the hotel as the renovations were clearly noted with paperwork in the room and they were not an eyesore.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

In June 2011 I stayed in the Radius Tower during a conference. The hotel is under renovation in the conference and lobby areas, but all the construction seems to be a cosmetic update and not to make it more comfortable for anyone who has made the mistake to stay there.

The Radius Tower rooms are small, with just a queen size bed. My room seemed recently renovated and was quite clever in the use of space. The bed, bedstand and desk fill one wall, while the curved outside wall is one giant window. There is a room separator that contains shelves and a closet, though the hotel fills the shelves with the coffeemaker and ice bucket/cups. In fact, they make sure that all the flat surfaces have SOMETHING on them so be prepared to shove stuff around if you want any room to put down any of your stuff. Toiletries and towels were of good quality. The stall shower was a good size, and the shower provided good power though it was not a massage unit.

Getting to the hotel via MARTA is much harder than it needs to be. They apparently expect you to arrive via the International Tower entrance (outside) rather than the Peachtree Center entrance, even though the hotel's connection to Peachtree Center makes it an attractive route on rainy or hot days. When I complained that the hotel's renovation didn't seem to be aimed at helping with handicap accessibility to Peachtree Center, every employee merely extended a hard-to-use offer of assistance rather than attempting to understand the problem.

Overall the service has the same problem as at many other Hyatts; they expect you to stand there and wait around until they get around to waiting on you hand and foot, rather than providing the signage and self-service tools you need to get what you want when you want it. I hope that improved signage is part of their renovation plans, but judging by the areas that aren't currently being worked on, I don't have much hope for that. They seem to think that it's more convenient for you to spend a lot of time finding someone to ask for help than for them to mess up their decoration with the information you need.

I like that the Raidus Tower was close to Peachtree Center for affordable food options and easy travel to other sits via MARTA, as long as you don't have luggage with you. With luggage, either be prepared to heft your bags up some stairs, or go the outside route and blunder around on unfamiliar streets looking for an unmarked entrance to the hotel. They have a sign saying that they don't change the sheets or towels except on request. They did not change my sheets for my 3-day stay, but did replace the towels that I left on the floor. When they remake your bed, the made it up so that the bottom sheet comes untucked when I pulled out the covers, which is annoying.

Internet access is expensive, $12 for basic access and $18 (!) if you actually want to VPN to work and get something done. It is apparently common for groups to negotiate a lower rate for their attendees, so check into it. Access on the business plan seemed full speed and trouble-free for the 2 days I purchased it They charged me twice for one day's access but removed the duplicate charge from my bill when I asked them to.

In summary: a reasonably comfortable downtown hotel that presents an appearance of luxury. I suspect management is more interested in maintaining appearances than actually making anyone comfortable. And I feel pity for those unlucky enough to work there. You can probably find better choices for the money.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

Nothing really special about it. The rooms were OK, but rather bland, so I felt that for the price, there are much better options in Atlanta. In fact, the Westin literally a block away probably had better accomdations (though I did not see them, this is a blind assumption based on my previous stays at Westin's).

Though, I can say that their staff is ranks as some of the nicest. They certainly tried, had exceptional customer service, and you can't fault the front desk for the design and decorations of Hyatt Corporate.

I would be back, but only if my work has another conference there. Otherwise, I'd shop around.

1  Thank travelbwj
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Since we have a conference in this hotel and it is more expensive than the Hyatt Place (right down the road), we decided to stay in this hotel. That was a big mistake. The rooms are red roof inn quality. The beds are made with white sheets sandwiching a white comforter. We wondered why we had sheets on top of the comforters -- because the comforters are all stained and disgusting. There are no refrigerators (there are at the Hyatt Place), there is no free shuttle (there is at Hyatt Place), the internet is $12/day, and the hotel rooms are set up around an open, central elevator shaft, so all of the noise from downstairs echos up to all of the floors, so it is very hard, if not, impossible, to sleep at night. The location is not ideal - the city is not safe (even the bellstand told us not to go out at night). The bagels and cakes we had at our conference continental breakfast were stale and dry. They are doing construction in the main lobby during the day and they left notes in all of our rooms saying that they will be upgrading the rooms to include refrigerators, flat screen tvs, and marble bathrooms, but until then, they are not nearly worth the price and the noise is awful. The pool looked larger on the website, but it is nothing special. It is located down in the ballroom area, so there is a clear view from the conference attendees to the pool attendees.

Room Tip: main tower noisy all night long
1  Thank cocotel333
HyattAtlanta, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2011

Good Afternoon,

We would like to thank you for your feedback. It is our responsibility to make sure all guests receive the highest quality of service during their stay. As with similar hotels of our size located in the downtown area, we do charge a standard daily internet fee. This covers the expense to maintain the extensive infrastructure and third party service fees. Of our three guest room towers, our Atrium Tower guest rooms are undergoing a renovation. Like both Radius and International towers, it too will come equipped with LCD TV’s, in- room refrigerators (currently available upon request), brand new linen, new carpet and bathroom fixtures and tile. We hope that you will provide us a second chance to offer you an incredible experience along with a newly designed product. We look forward with you staying with us again.

Thanks,

Reviewed June 25, 2011

Dirty, tiny rooms at exhorbitant prices. We waited hours for our room to be ready, well past check-in time, and were given no discount for the inconvenience. The Marriott across the street is in a whole different class-- beautiful, good service, and clean. Save yourself a headache and stay there.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Devilheel

Hi,

We appreciate your comments about the hotel. Our front desk agents are trained in establishing a personable, fast and convenient check- in with all guests and we apologize if we fell short at the time of your arrival. I encourage you to contact us regarding this matter at your earliest convenience. I have sent you a private message with my personal contact information. I look forward to resolving this issue and speaking with you soon.

Thanks,