“will not stay here agai”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #37 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Stayed there during some wrestlemaia crap, my friends that were at a diferent hotel due to wrestlemania could noy even come and visit me due to this , 4 times i had to come down from my from to get them so thy could come up, guess you are not allowed visitors here ,this was going to be where i stayed for my first year of dragoncon, but due to the rudenss that want happen that roomwas canceled and we r staying elsewhere, you pay 20 sometrhing dollars to park and then 11 something for internet screw that jerks

Room Tip: will not stay here again
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TybeeIslandDannyb2

Reviewed April 14, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt for one night after driving from Augusta in the afternoon. I was able to get a room for $50 through Priceline, so the price was right. Hotel was adequate. Valet was professional and check in was smooth and efficient. I was placed in the international tower and my room was fine. Didn't have any issues with its cleanliness, though it was loud into the late hours (early hours?) of the night because it's downtown location. Valet pick up the next morning was also efficient. Overall, it was a neutral to slightly above average experience. For what I needed, which was a clean place to sleep, it was fine. If I were traveling with my family, or staying multiple nights on vacation, I would not seek out this hotel. Nor would I pay full price. But if you won this hotel for a night or two via an online auction site, don't worry too much--it will do the trick.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank skkunder
Reviewed April 10, 2011

When entering your room there is a sign on the desk stating "We care". However, with regards to potential guests it couldn't be farther from the truth as far as the management of this hotel is concerned.

Although our room was booked early December 2011 for our April 2012 stay, a week before arrival I received a call from the Hyatt to please contact them, no explanation given. After three days trying, I finally got a person on the phone who told me we were moved to another hotel since the Hyatt was overbooked. Well sorry, not when I made my reservation 4 months ago! A request to speak to a manger was answered with: "he will call you back", which he never did. I called our organization and It appeared that close to 100 of our colleagues had the same problem, however, we were "lucky" and were transferred back to the Hyatt.

Upon arrival after midnight, the bar in the Atrium was overflowing with people and there was tremendous noise, rising up in the open atrium. Colleagues who were so "fortunate" to stay in the main tower had a poor night sleep due to the bar being open till 2AM. When complaining and asking another room they were offered a bottle of water (!) for the inconvenience.

When making a remark about the noise during check-in, we were given a room in the Radius tower, away from the bar noise. However, the walls there are so thin, we were inclined to say "bless you" when someone else sneezed next door. You can hear every sound and move next door. The rooms are small, flatscreen TV hanging on the wall cannot be pivoted so that you can properly watch it if in bed, bathrooms are minuscule with no room for toiletries, and there are no water glasses to be found anywhere in the room (apparently a standard feature in this hotel). The only positive, a very nice lady from housekeeping who tried to go the extra mile and was apologizing to everyone on our floor for the inconveniences. A sad state of affairs if you have to apologize for you employer's attitude.

The services provided in our meeting rooms were as expected in a hotel of this caliber, and the food during a reception above average.

However, for a Hyatt, the way management dealt with booking several events happening during one weekend was way below par. It seemed that that the reason for our transfers was that a better deal was to be had on rooms booked for the Wrestlemania event the same weekend, without management being in the least apologetic to guests with earlier bookings given the boot.

We spend 60-70 nights a year in hotels, but we surely don't care to ever come back to this Hyatt.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank doublebooked
HyattAtlanta, Director of rooms at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2011

Hi Doublebooked,

I apologize about your recent visit here at Hyatt Regency Atlanta. We are embarrassed that you had such a horrible experience. We are indeed a convention hotel and although we may have several events going on at once, that does not excuse our guest’s noise level or actions. It is our duty to exceed the expectations of all in-house guests, and unfortunately during this time we did not.

I also would like to apologize about your room change. Our Radius Tower is typically for our one day business clients and we express deep regret that this room did not meet your standards. On the other hand, it was great to hear that our housekeeper went above and beyond to make sure you were taken care of.

We understand your frustration with the matter and hope that you expressed this matter to a manager upon your visit. We take your comments very seriously, and would like an opportunity to apologize personally, and have an opportunity to be able to correct these issues. Please contact me at Richard.Walter@Hyatt.com at your earliest convenience.

Richard Walter, Director of Rooms

Reviewed April 8, 2011

In a city where the downtown is strugling from going comatose during the weekend, the same speaks for the Hyatt Regency of Atlanta. There are three towers to choose from, the International Tower, which has a boutique feeling. The Atirum Tower was in the center of it all, but noisy when a large event is happening in the lobby. Then the Radius Tower, a mini version of the Westin Peachtree Plaza cylindrical shaped tower. I stayed at the Atrium tower, which had a nice zig zag foyer to the main room, which helped separate the noise from the atrium, but could still hear it. The beds were comfy enough to sleep and liked the modular desk that can be moved around the room. However, it would be nice if they made use of the large balcony the room had with outdoor furnishing. The amount of channels was limited and Internet was $11.95/day. Had breakfast, which was average and came around the time requested. Bathroom was okay, which you can hear the other rooms flushing and showers. Had one bad experience with stains on two bath towels. Nice touch to provide toothpaste though, which not many hotels provide.Another bad experience is the hotel would not let you valet even if you stay there cause they were full for a big event. Anyways, they charge you $26 just to park per day. I went to my friends room in the International Tower and it looked smaller for some reason, balcony was small, but had a newer feel to its interior. The International tower had more of a boutique hotel feel, like you would see in a W Hotel. I did not check the Radius tower, but could see it from my balcony. Overall the Hyatt is not a bad place to stay, but not an exciting part of town to stay in since there is minimal entertainment in the area. I would reccomend the Hyatt if the price is right, but if over $180, go to the Marriott Marquis next door with its exciting elevators to the top floor. Talking about elevators, the ones in the atrium can take forever if there are a lot of people waiting for it so get in it even if its going down just to go up to your floor. I think its time to re-invent the Hyatt from a leading 70's hotel company to today's opportunity to compete with hotels like Palomar, Loews, W, Westin, etc. The Hyatt Regency Atlanta is not a bad hotel, just in a part of the city that lacks life in itself.

Room Tip: Stay in a hotel in Midtown or Buckhead, Atlanta
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Gamxiated
Reviewed April 6, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for Wrestlemania. We booked two separate rooms through Hotwire (we initially had only planned on staying one night, but extended our trip). When we arrived, we asked the front desk if we could stay in the same room for both nights and they said it would be no problem.

Our room was very spacious and had a large bathroom, and we also had a nice balcony. Everything was clean and in order. I've seen other reviews that complain about noise, but we didn't have any issues with that, though we were on a lower floor (the noise problems might be worse for those who are higher up).

The staff was super friendly. We found out it was going to rain and I called down to concierge to see where we could buy umbrellas nearby, but they let me know that they had some available to check out. Perfect!

If I had to list any cons about this hotel, it would be the value. We got an extremely discounted rate through Hotwire and I can't say that I would have paid full price. That being said, it is in a really good location (under a mile from Philips Arena and about 1.5 miles from the Dome). There is also a wonderful cafe across the street if you would rather not pay for the overpriced room service and continental breakfast. The other con as far as value is concerned is the price of parking. Parking is valet only and costs $29 a day. Yikes!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Organized a two night stay via Priceline. May be just about worth the 50% of the advertized price. C heck in tok a while and I was upgraded, always a good thing. The lobby was packed solid and very noisy.

I was given a suite with a good deal of space. The sitting rom seemed to be half finished and with little thought to interior design. The bedroom also had some misplaced furniture. The bed was large and comfortable.

Room service meal was reasonable in terms of quality but way over priced. Car Valet at $29 per night worked well. The internet was $10 per night.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank bubu3
Reviewed March 27, 2011

My husband and I had just returned from vacation in Portland/Seattle and we needed a rest for one night. This hotel fit the bill. Lacey greeted us in the lobby and assigned us to a newly renovated room in the International Tower. The room had new furnishings and a great view. We had dinner in the lobby and breakfast in our room the next morning. Food and drinks were great. Parking was a bit pricey. Would we stay again? Definitely.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple