“Nice hotel, curious room configuration in Radius Tower” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #34 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mountain View, CA
“Nice hotel, curious room configuration in Radius Tower”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights at this downtown hotel in Atlanta. Our room was in the Radius Tower section of the hotel. This is a narrow cylindrical tower. On our floor (15th) there were 10 rooms. I would guess that most of the floors have the same configuration. The 3 elevators occupy the center of the cylinder and the rooms are around the outside. The reason that this is important is that the rooms are shaped like truncated slices of pizza.

The floor space in the room is extremely limited. Not much space other than the bed, chair and bathroom. The reason the room doesn't feel cramped is that the entire wall is window. For us, the view was an enormous office building on the other side of the street that seemed very close.

The petite bathroom was strategically designed. The glass shower door gave the impression of the space. There was no space for a real door, so a pocket door disappeared next to the closet. And this is the most unfortunate part-- opposite the shower, in the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom there is a large frosted window. This gives the impression of space in the minute bathroom, which is fine. However, if someone is sleeping in the bedroom and someone else turns the light on in the bathroom, it is like turning the light on in the bedroom. This is a problem if someone is trying to sleep while someone else is in the bathroom.

Other than this factor, the hotel was fine. Having a high floor room was advantage. It seems that street noise could be a problem closer to street level.

The fitness center was large with a large assortment of aerobic and weight machines as well as free weights. Apples and oranges were supplied.

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Needagoodbed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Covington, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

My husband and I were in town this past weekend and decided to stay at the Hyatt Regency. Bottom line is this: this hotel needs new management. The staff at the Hyatt was clueless about customer service. Any question we had (whether directions, parking, etc) was met with apathy..as if we were putting them out. Considering everything was so overpriced (for the service we received): parking $29, internet was a charge, and the food and drink prices in the bar were unreasonable, you would think the service would be first rate. Even the checkout process was a joke. I waited in line for 20 minutes and the line moved one person. No one apologized for the wait or offered to help us with the process...I guess I just expected with a name like Hyatt we would get some service. I should've heeded the advice of the previous reviews and stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tras99
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

Stayed for 5 nights in the Atrium Tower. The lobby renovation is almost complete, and the new bar is almost done. Which looks very nice. Check in was great, the service was great. I was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite. Once you get past the renovated lobby, and up to your floor is when you realize that this hotel is very old... The hallways themselves need to be upgraded to at least the year 2000. The room is still stuck in 1985. The colors, the furniture, all remind me of staying in a old Motel. The TV is a VERY large heavy old thing, that barely works. Same thing for the TV in the living room area. This could be a great hotel if they choose to spend some money on their rooms after the lobby renovation. I probably won't stay there again until they do.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

Just stayed there for 4 nights in the Atrium tower. We got a great price through a website but the hotel is more like a 2 star. Either Atlanta grades hotels differently than everywhere else or rating it a 4 star is a lie. The towels were like drying my skin with sandpaper & I had a hard time maintaining hot water for more than a few seconds at a time. They charge $29 to park however we found a parking lot right next to it and parked for $30 total instead of $120. Which worked out well until the last morning when we were charged $58 for 2 days of parking even though we had parking stubs from the lot we were really in. Thankfully, they took the charges off but I'd just beware of what you are being charged. The lobby is nice looking but I wouldn't spend much money on a room thinking it is 4 star when it is clearly a lower quality.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattAtlanta, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry that we failed to exceed your expectations. I hope that you notified one of our associates and expressed your displeasure with the comfort of our towels and lack of hot water issues, and that these were addressed by our staff. If not, please contact us as soon as possible. We take the comfort of our guests very seriously, as well as the maintenance of our water supply and if for any reason problems occur, we want to make sure that such incidents are investigated and taken care of in a timely manner.
We also appreciate your feedback regarding our parking price. While our parking rates are no different than comparative hotels in the downtown area, we do offer unlimited in and out access at no additional charge. Given that parking in downtown is costly, we are happy to hear you found an alternative option nearby.
We also are grateful for making us aware that you chose to park elsewhere and that our agents were able to remove those charges from your reservation. It is our standard practice to ensure all charges are valid and we appreciate your understanding given this exceptional circumstance.
We are happy to hear our lobby pleased you, especially because our Atrium lobby transformation just took place in February. We completely updated many features, including a new guest service area, front desk with new artwork, cladded walls in marble, installed new tile flooring and more. We're continuing to invest a total of $65 million in property enhancements in 2011, and I hope you will consider returning to the Hyatt Regency Atlanta to see these changes during your next visit downtown. We would also love to discuss your stay further to see if there's anything else you would like to discuss or feel we should have done to make your stay more enjoyable. Please contact us directly at QualityATLRA@hyatt.com when you get a chance. Thank you again. I hope I get to hear from you soon. Scott Snipes, Hyatt Regency Atlanta Hotel Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

I got this hotel fairly cheap on priceline basically for 50% percent off. The staff was great and service was as well. Did not get to use the pool but the bar was nice. The rooms were great with the only problem being was the sheets and covers. I don’t really like the anti allergic ones makes for uncomfortable sleep. At least my sleep.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Easton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

My husband and I got an amazing deal on this hotel via Hotwire. Since we were coming to Atlanta for a long weekend specifically to visit the Georgia Aquarium and other downtown attractions, the location was perfect. After reading reviews prior to the trip, I became nervous. However, our stay ended up being fine with a little work on our part. I called ahead and requested the International Tower (as others on Tripadvisor suggested) and a king sized bed (which we were given upon arrival). We chose not to rent a car in order to avoid the issues others reported with the valet and price of parking. We also looked into attractions and restaurants ourselves rather than having to be dependent upon the concierge, and I found the free internet at the nearby mall so we could avoid the high internet charges.

It ended up being a great stay for us since all we were looking for was a clean room in a good downtown location for an excellent price. If you're interested in more amenities, you might have more problems.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
nyc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

I am paid up through sunday with this hotel after getting it on priceline. I am trying to get out of here and switch hotels. It is an absolute DUMP. The rooms are disgusting, pricing is out of control, and the noise is unbearable. There seems to be a convention of 1,000 highschool kids that have literally taken over the hotel. The noise level is insane. I have called the front desk 10 times and have been put on hold or unable to get through, once I finally did after calling the concierge, i was told to call security. REALLY>!?!?!?!? im paying an insane amount of $ per night for this "4 star" hotel. Its unreal how awful this experience has been. NEVER stay here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo