“Good place to crash, kinda funky, a rock'n'roll hotel.”
Review of The Highland Inn

The Highland Inn
Ranked #99 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good place to crash, kinda funky, a rock'n'roll hotel.”
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I stayed at the Highland Inn on a business trip because all the midtown hotels were full. Even though it's a bit off-putting at first if you're expecting the Marriott or Hilton, the place works, the staff is attentive, the price is low and the breakfast is home-style but more than adequate, and free!
There is a bustling restaurant downstairs with live music sometimes (one of the three nights I stayed) so it can be loud. I was next to the stairs, and the sound-proofing is like the hotel, circa 1927, so you take what you get in terms of colorful commentary. The bananas and cereal and milk and O.J. were just what I have at home, and if you don't mind grabbing it yourself in the makeshift breakfast nook, you may not get what you want, but you can always get what you need.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The room was clean and freshly renovated. Nice shower with plenty of hot water. We got a family discount because we were visiting our son who lives nearby. Love the funky urban area, ability to walk to restaurants and fun shopping. Lots of young energy around (we are in our 50s). BUT that mattress - sloped and hard - springs could be felt. This is the only thing that would keep me away from this hotel on our next visit.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HighlandInn, Public Relations Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review The Highland Inn. We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us improve the quality we provide to our guests. On your next visit, please let us know if there is anything we can do to improve your stay.
mobile
Reviewed October 11, 2010

This is my favorite hotel! This was my second time staying @ the Highland Inn, and now I want to move in. I got upgraded to a suite for free. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect b/c you can walk to coffee shops, stores, bars, clubs. There are two wonderful restaurants on both sides of hotel. Downstairs is a lounge and bar, too! Whenever I am in ATL, I will always stay @ the Highland!!! <3

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Being somewhat weary about staying at The Highland Inn after reading some of the reviews, I was more than pleasantly surprised upon arriving at Highland. My room was quite quaint and exceptionally clean. The man at the front desk was very helpful when asking for good places for dinner. The hotel was swarming with young, vibrant hipsters which made the stay that much better. Also, it is in walking distance to great shops, cafes, and the Variety Playhouse. Definitely worth the money, and I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 2, 2010

The Hotel is probably one of the most characteristics that I have ever been in. Located super close to the little 5 points area and right next to a bus stop.The rooms were nice and clean and the staff was very helpful. We had some problems because the room right next to us got renovated early in the morning, which really sucked since we got in REALLY super late. BUT as soon as we mentioned it to the front desk we got offered another room , and one of our 2 nights was refunded! YAY! our car was in their parking lot and our catalytic converter got stolen. Big pain in the neck but does not necessarily have anything to do with the Inn itself. I wish they had had cameras there tho... The Highland Inn is NOT a super modern, designer Hotel it is old, historic and FULL of character... which means it IS not perfect. I can understand that some people wouldn't like it but here you are warned! It is an odd place but clean and awesome and characteristic! Also due to it's closeness to little 5 points AND also having a bar right in the basement, it's KIND of a party hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel during the first weekend in September for Dragon*Con. The staff was very helpful on giving us directions wherever we needed to go. On my first inspection of the room, I was disappointed because of how small it was, but then I realized when you go on a trip that you spend very little time in the hotel. Size was not a problem. It had a cute view of the courtyard. Our room was clean. The only problem I really had was that the water hadn't been running in that room for a while so there was a small rust build up that disappeared a few seconds after letting the water run. That's to be expected though in such an old Inn. It can be noisy some nights, but it's also a venue for some pretty famous bands. I loved it, and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2010

There were some young folks that seemed O.K. with the Highland. Obviously in party/intoxicated mode. One young man vomited in the hallway & another ducked his cig on what looked to be the remains of a carpet. It was close to my venue. The place is the pits. I was not expecting much and that is what I got ,not much. Just a small step above sleeping in the car.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stratofortress
HighlandInn, Public Relations Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
We sincerely regret the disturbance by your fellow guests. Our location can mean increased activity and bookings especially on the weekends. We try to contain disturbances but if we are unaware of a situation there is no way for us to know. On your next visit, please notify us of any issues you may have and we will be happy to help.

Travelers are raving about these Atlanta hotels