“Fun and funky hotel in a great location for a great price”
Review of The Highland Inn

The Highland Inn
Ranked #98 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Great staff--check in was painless. The rooms are a little dated, but if you've ever stayed in hostels or on some military bases you'll have no problems here. Bathrooms are small, and water pressure/temperature is spotty.

There's a cool bar downstairs in the basement that frequently hosts local bands, and plenty of interesting places within walking distance in the Druid Hills/Inman Park area.
Plenty of bars, restaurants, bookstores, coffee shops, etc within a 5 minute walk. The Carter Center is about 10 minutes away, as is Little 5 Points.

The hotel does have an exceptionally cool house cat who lounges in the common areas, and who availed himself of the comfort of our room for a short visit.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GaryD1968

Reviewed October 1, 2009

We stayed here one night. The rooms were small but they were clean. We didnt get back to the hotel until 2 am so the noise from the courtyard did not bother us. The price of the hotel is resonable and the location feels safe. Its not a luxury hotel or even a nice holiday inn but I would recommend it for a short stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Three nights over labor day week. Everyone was helpful and extremely nice we ran into. Location was great... could walk to basically everything 5 points bar...eat...shopping. 10 min car drive to Turner field...15 cab to GA Dome. Great trendy neighborhood. Definitely Cant beat the price....would be stupid to ever stay anywhere else while in Atlanta!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Acworkoutplan
Reviewed August 15, 2009

The rooms were very old-fashioned. The prints hanging in our room were gorgeous. Staff was very nice. Would stay there again! Bathroom was small, but not too small.

• Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank maddzii
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I have stayed here 3 time and each time I say to my self I will come back.
It's clean ~ they are very nice. each room is very different in a good way.!
there is a bar that place music on friday,saturday night and if you get the right room you can here it for free. they did quit fairly early.
it is a very friendly Inn!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2009

This our second trip to the Highland Inn and we enjoyed it just as much this time around. If you are looking for an ultra modern, sleek hotel experience, this is not the place for you but if you want an awesome location, are open to new experiences and enjoy sleeping with a bit of history then book it. The rooms are each decorated with "vintage" bedroom suites which really look like the stuff of yard-sales but they lend a quirky charm to the rooms. We booked a double, which is the smallest room you can get, but we were just there for the night. We stayed here several years ago for a weekend and had a lovely, large room. Our room had a pretty piece of original art and a nice comfy chair and TV, of course. The theme of the hotel is vintage french - with uneven floors, exposed pipes, and for me envokes Barton Fink flashbacks (but hey, most folks haven't seen that one)! Anyhow, I digress.....the bathroom is what it is but they offered lovely handmade soap and plenty of towels. The inn keepers are helpful tour guides and a little kitty keeps watch over the front desk, really rather lounges all over the front desk but hey, it's charming!

We actually bypassed the continental breakfast in lieu of RIa's Blue Bird Cafe but I enclosed a picture to show you what to expect for your dining-in experience, If you will be there for a few days, vist the Blue Bird for their wonderful breakfast. We had french toast stuffed with marscapone cheese and fresh berries and of course, fantastic coffee! For dinner, the adjoining restaurant is very nice.

Now the Virginia Highlands neighborhood, which you are nestled in the middle of, is a wonderful area of Atlanta. You can walk to stores like Urban Outfitters or window shop at some funky boutiques and antique stores specializing in mid-century modern. The area is chock full of restaurants, bars, shopping and when we visited, there was a sidewalk art sale going on! Fun!

Bottom line, if you fancy yourself an adventurer and are open to new experiences and good people, go ahead and book it. The neighborhood and quirky charm of the inn should win your heart and leave you wanting more! (and the price doesn't hurt either!)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Theoccasionaltravl_r
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I wrote a review in 2007; and I’ll stick with my comments therein. The reason for making this my last visit is the untrustworthy booking arrangements.

Knowing about the noise over the restaurant, I specifically asked for the kitchenette room #239. The booking person said it did not have two beds.

When we checked in, they put us in the exact same room that I said I did not want – #305. The check in clerk repeatedly said that no one ever complained about noise in #305. What an insult.

I returned to the desk for a new room; and they gave us #239 which does have two double beds and “quiet.” So, in the end our stay was comfortable – free parking, handy area, good breakfast that is available until 10:30.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank OldArmy61
HighlandInn, Public Relations Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2010

I would like to apologize for the way you were treated and assure you that we have taken measures to ensure this does not happen again. We appreciate your feedback as it helps to correct problems and address issues.

Please allow us the opportunity to make it right. I would like to offer you a night free of charge in 239 or we could put you in a Suite if you prefer. Again, I am truly sorry for your experience. Our number one goal is customer satisfaction and nothing less. Feel free to contact me directly to place your reservation, I have provided my email address below.

Kristin Anderson
Public Relations Manager
The Highland Inn
kanderson@thehighlandinn.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Midtown
Artmore Hotel
Artmore Hotel
#17 of 172 in Atlanta
Inn at the Peachtrees
#102 of 172 in Atlanta

Been to The Highland Inn? Share your experiences!