“Very uneven experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Gatos, California
“Very uneven experience”
Reviewed April 19, 2007

Stayed here on a two-night business trip. Got off to a bumpy start. Check-in desk was jammed and way under-staffed. Very disorganized and things didn't seem to be moving at all. Kiosks did not work. When it was FINALLY my turn, was told they did not have any King NS rooms available, even though I'm a Gold member and had reserved weeks in advance. After some haggling, got upgraded to a suite, but took ages to finish process.

Lobby is very nice and chic. Rooms are fine, but nothing special... typical mid-range Hyatt quality. TVs very old. Staff was friendly but not exceptional. Screwed up my wake-up call on first night.

Upon check-out, they had charged me for two gift shop purchases I never made. Had to burn more time at front desk getting them taken off my account.

Bottom line: Decent hotel in great location, but poorly managed and don't expect to be overwhelmed. Also, lots of construction going on around hotel... which was loud all night.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Disorganized check-in and check-out
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Troy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed March 11, 2007

Upon entering the hotel I was surprised at how good the hotel looked; very chic/elegant. The hotel looked new and was well lit. Since I was the only one checking in, I was on my way to my room in 3 minutes. Additionally, the check-in staff was very nice and courteous.

We got a room on the 9th floor with a view of the back of the hotel where the pool and Japanese garden are located. The room was nice too, larger than average, and in great condition. The bathroom was pretty nice too (marble everywhere) and was also larger than average. The toilet is also in a separate area/corner. The bed was excellent of course with an abundance of pillows.

The parking garage (self parking is $15 a day) was close to the side entrance of the hotel, which is where the elevators were located to get to our room. Additionally, the hotel is located in Buckhead, which I thought was a nicer area than downtown Atlanta. Additionally, there are two shopping malls very close to the hotel, Phipps Plaza and Lenox Square.

The only problem I had was that the water coming out of the showerhead and faucet was changing temperature constantly (without doing anything); from cold to very hot and back and forth. In fact, when the water changed to very hot, I was unable to adjust the temperature at all. Other than the water temperature problem, we had an excellent stay here and would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Upscale and clean hotel
  • Disliked — Had a water temperature problem
  • Stayed March 2007
3 Thank GXS
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed March 10, 2007

We stayed here for one night while visiting Atlanta for the first time. The area is really nice, with many shops and restaurants nearby. The downtown area is a bit of a drive, and if you're a tourist, renting a car would be your best option. The room was nice. The restaurant, Cassis, had great food. They even stayed open for us past 2 so that we can take lunch up to our room. We went back for Sunday brunch and had the worst waiter in the, Travis. The brunch itself is ok, not a buffet, but would have definitely been better had he not been our waiter. We asked for a different waiter, and got Timothy, who is by far the best person in that restaurant. Overall, good hotel, close to many things in Buckhead, but beware of Travis. And valet parking is ridiculously priced, as is self parking. There are many free parking lots in the area. And no free internet. The Holiday Inn has free internet, but the Grand Hyatt doesn't...hopefully they work on that.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank OceanLove3
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 28, 2007

Please note I attempted to book a room at the Hyatt in Buckhead. I normally would book on-line, but I contacted the hotel direct, to see if they had special rates with my company. I was calling from overseas, and it took 6 calls to get someone to answer a simple question: What's the best rate for a King-Non Smoking, 2 Adults, for March 24, 2007. The hotel seemed to be chaotic, as I was forwarded, and re-forwarded, all over the place. What's going on? I finally reached the Duty Manager, who seemed to take it in stride, as part of the norm. For $50 more, I chose to stay at the Ritz Carlton, where it took me 3 minutes to confirm my reservation.

I think it's time to take the "Grand" away from this hotel property.

Stayed March 2007
4 Thank MichaelChristine
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 27, 2007

Fantastic stay!!! Excellent staff, very friendly and helpful.

Only downside is parking, typical of that area but still $15 self park or $22 valet per day.

Other than that, no complaints. Will totally be going back.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TracyEV
Atlanta
Reviewed February 15, 2007

The hotel is really flashy and glamorous looking. Everything is super high priced. It is in Buckhead. The room was clean and compfortable. NO FREE INTERNET!!!! Are you kidding me? I can stay at a $30 hotel and get free internet, I come here for $200 and no free internet.....unexcusable.
Overall, it was really high priced and I'd try to look for discounts if I were to stay again.

• Liked — very clean and bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — no free internet in my room
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank doedays
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed January 31, 2007

Grand stay at the Hyatt! I liked that there was:

Taxi waiting outside
Shopping and restaurants nearby
A large bathroom
A comfortable bed with down duvet

I disliked the
Construction outside at neighboring buildings
Walk to some local restaurants (taxi!)

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business