“top notch!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
“top notch!”
Reviewed November 2, 2005

Our family has stayed here many times. Its nice and pricey but well worth it! The rooms are wonderful and I love the thick shades so its pitch black in there during the day so my 3 yr old can nap. The staff is friendly and treat you like celebrity- they always remember your name and treat you with great ease and respect. The food is good and you have the choice to valet (which is always running on time and smoothly even at check out) or park it yourself in a nearby deck. Even though there's construction next door, we never heard a thing, but my son enjoyed watching! The pool is great and the gardens are beautiful. On our honeymoon night we stayed there 10 yrs ago in the incredible Pres. Suite when it was under a different name- nothing has changed- its first class all the way no matter what room you're in! A+++

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 28, 2005

We recently stayed at the Buckhead Hyatt for four nights. We were located on the Regency Floor Level. The service at the hotel is wonderful. Everyone is ready and willing to help you. Also, they have a free driving service within two miles of the hotel. This is really nice, since two very nice malls are within the two mile area. One can also run up and down Peach Tree street and feel very safe. We will be staying at this Hyatt again. The only negative thing I could say about our stay was the downstairs restaurant service. I think we caught them on a bad night when some of the help did not show up. However, the food was very good. Also, the bar in the lobby is lovely in the early evenings. The service at this Hyatt makes it a Grand!

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank maae40
Louisiana
Reviewed October 25, 2005

A Priceline deal is the only way to equate this hotel with value. I would have never paid full price for my room, regularly listed at $279. Good location in Buckhead. The construction is not that distracting, especially on the weekends. For a luxury hotel, there were many great features: beautifully appointed marble bathrooms, beautifully decorated room, and an elegant lobby lounge (Onyx) with a great musical duo, fireplace, appropriately placed TVs, overlooking the waterfalls outside. The pool was great w/free towels too. The Japanese garden is gorgeous, plan to spend some Zen time there. The gym was full of equipment. The bed was amazingly comfortable. There were Portico bath products that smelled and felt divine. However, the A/C could have worked better, the phones were not cordless, the towels were very crunchy (Motel 6 towels are softer), there was no CD player (probably because they want you to buy their pay music service), and the pay per view movies did not list any prices. There is a great makeup mirror attached to the bathroom wall, but it is only for those who are at least 5’10” tall, otherwise book a neck massage in the spa from the stain you will get. I checked in (alone) with 4 bags and the bell persons did not even attempt to assist me. Later, after my business meeting, I returned to the hotel with baskets, bags, books, etc. and still no bell help. Perhaps they assume that women do not tip well. Too bad they have such misconceptions. One important warning: check your bill! I repeatedly had to request adjustments in parking fees and restaurant charges (not even mine!). Even when I checked out, the valet tried to make me pay for the parking that was ALREADY paid in my hotel bill. Overall, the hotel is beautiful, extremely clean, and elegant. If there were just few extras (service and amenities) then, this Hyatt could be launched into true 5-star status. I would stay here again if I got a Priceline deal. I recommend this hotel to anyone, but not for $279 per night.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank LouisianaTess
ATL, GA
Reviewed October 4, 2005

I pricelined my way in to this hotel at just over $80/nite for a weekend stay.
It's in a pretty good location, though, like most of this part of Buckhead, there is construction all over the place.
Check-in went smoothly - I don't think I was treated any differently as a Priceline customer, though my room was the first one just across from where the lift corridor is. I was expecting this, and didn't complain - nor was noise much of a problem.
The room itself was nicely decorated, there was a magazine rack full of selected "posh" magazines - and they were all of the current date. Bathroom was large, but a bit dim - though the marble is nice. Wired internet is available at a daily charge.
The in-room service was OK, professionally presented, but the food was only average.
Thy only gripe is the self parking, which is about a 2 minute walk from the hotel, up a hill. $15 buys you unlimited in/out, charged to your room.

The short - is that for a priceline price, it's a good value. I would never pay the rack rate though.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank apl175
Reviewed October 3, 2005

I just got back from a long weekend getaway to Atlanta where we (me and my mom) stayed at the Grand Hyatt. I'm a bit disappointed and will not stay there on my next visit. I will say overall it IS a nice hotel, but between the location, the price, and the service we got, it just wan't worth it to me. Went to Atlanta for a fun R&R weekend; had never been there. I did a TON of research, reading reviews of all the "nice" hotels. My first choice was Four Seasons in Midtown, but their cheaper (300/night) rooms were booked, and I wasn't trying to break the bank. I was figuring on 200-300/night as a real splurge for my mom. There were no other 5-star hotels in Midtown, although the Georgian Terrace looked like a possibility (I noticed it after I booked the Grand Hyatt). The Grand Hyatt is very pretty. The lobby and downstairs lounge is very beautiful and tranquil. The rooms are just so-so. I guess I was expecting more. We had a standard room with two double beds. The room was average size -- big enough to fit two double beds, an armoire for the TV, a desk w/a chair, another chair sitting next to the desk, and an armchair next to the bed. There was also a lighted closet. The decor was fairly modern; only the carpet seemed a bit dated. The room was decorated in shades of brown, jade, tan, and cream. The window treatments were the best feature -- very pretty. And we were on the 14th floor with a lovely view of the treetops and downtown Atlanta in the distance. Nice big windows, which I liked. The bathroom was nice and stocked with Portico products (which I love). Marble floors and countertops. Only one sink and a shower/tub combo. Two guest robles, plus nice big towels though and the staff restocked the shampoo/soap/lotion so I had a couple extra to bring back. :)

Here are the negatives: 1) When we got to the room, we flicked on the TV to see what movies they had and the computer system was messed up; we even got the Windows "blue screen of death at one point" (b/c the tv is hooked to a computer system). The technician had to come to the room twice to fix it. He was prompt, but it was annoying to deal with. 2) There was no bath mat in bathroom; this is minor but still required a call to housekeeping (it arrived promptly and was big and fluffy). 3) Our service at breakfast was horrible at first; they seated us right next to the buffet, and we had to wait an extraordinarily long time for a waiter who we later found out had gone on break; when we finally learned all this they informed us the buffet was closing in 10 minutes. 4) On our last night we picked up some Indian food and brought it back to the room; we called and asked for plates and silverware; after 20 minutes when no one had come we called again and they said "oops, they had forgotten." The silverware arrived 5 minutes later. 5) There is MAJOR CONSTRUCATION going on around this hotel right now -- literally on three sides of the building. Luckily we were high enough up and situated so we weren't staring at it. I didn't really hear it except for one morning and it was faint sounds. 6) EXPENSIVE -- for example, we ordered 2 ice creams and 2 sodas for room service and it totaled $23 with tip; Another example: on the final bill, the hotel daily taxes and surcharges totaled $33/day, adding $100 extra dollars to our bill. 7) The hotel isn't near what most leisure travelers want to see. It is near two giant malls, but we were more interested in exploring Atlanta's neighborhoods and shops. My friend warned me but I didn't listen: should have stayed in Midtown, even if it was at the Sheraton (which I noticed was in a great part of Midtown even if it wasn't 5 stars).

Positives: Very very clean, even smelled clean (but not like cleaning products) -- the room, the halls, and the entire hotel. Staff is friendly. Rooms were quiet. I never heard people in the hallway nor did I hear anyone's TVs.

Overall, this place seems too expensive for the level of service we received. We particularly had a bad experience our first time dining in the restaurant to the point where we had to speak to a manager. This hotel is much more suited to the business traveler it seems - there is Internet access (that you have to pay for) and a fax machine in the room.

Last but not least, it's always interesting to read such diverse reviews and I think it helps to add what type of hotel I'm "used" to. I am not a fancy hotel person and most of the time can stay at pretty modest 3-star hotels (OK, I'm cheap!). However, this trip, I really wanted to pamper myself and my mom. And I think the hotel fell a bit short. I stayed in a MUCH nicer Hyatt in Seattle and it was 160/night (was newer, had marble bath with dual vanities, separate shower and soaking tub, plus a marble foyer). Only other 5-star I've stayed at was the Venetian in Vegas.

• Stayed October 2005
9 Thank kmsairam
Paris
Reviewed September 10, 2005

We spent 3 nights there, everything was fine but outrageously expensive. For instance: they charged $7 for a bottle of spring water in your room, $15 per day for internet access, $22 per day for a valet parking and $24 for a plain continental breakfast. And you assume to have a "special care" with these rates? No! so stay elsewhere unless you'd like to get fleeced!

• Stayed August 2005