“Safe Location”

Ranked #17 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Wilmington, DE
“Safe Location”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

When I travel, safety is always on my mind. I have heard mixed reviews about the safety of Atlanta, so I decided to stay in Buckhead - which I have heard is one of the nicer areas. This proved to be true, and the Hyatt was in a very nice location, it seemed very safe and we were within driving distance to downtown.

The hotel itself however is OK. It is clean (another one of my top concerns!) However, the parking situation is really not to good. It costs 20 dollars to park across the street, it is not the worst situation ever, but it would be nice if they had their own lot. Also, as a previous reviewer wrote - the bellhops are EXTREMELY pushy and tried to get tips and valet park my car like at least 5 times in 10 min while I was unloading my luggage.

You also have to pay for internet access. It costs 10 dollars per day! And there is no continential breakfast.

The walls are very thin. We could hear EVERYTHING going on in the hallway at night.

If you are looking for a clean, safe hotel I would def. recommend this hotel, but it is rather pricey for the accomodations.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HonestLadyTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Korean first
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed July 3, 2009

The best things about this hotel included the front desk staff and the pool. The pool is outdoors on the roof next to the fitness center, which looked above average for this kind of hotel. There was a bar next to the pool which was staffed on Saturday but not during the week, as far as I could tell. An added bonus was the sauna and steam room in the women's locker room--very clean and nice.

Another plus about this hotel is the hotel shuttle car that will take you down to the big mall or anywhere else within 2 miles.

The room was perfectly fine, but maybe not as well appointed as I would expect for the star rating of the hotel--the rooms will probably need renovation in a few years. They are starting to look a bit worn. The bed was very comfortable though, with high quality bedding--including a down comforter and a million pillows.

I can see this hotel being a good choice for business travelers bcs of its central location, conference space, bar, etc.

There were, however, a couple of things that were disappointing in a hotel that is ranked 4 stars. First of all, parking is across the street in a parking garage not attached to the hotel and is not cheap. I think it was 20 a night. Second, we were overcharged at the bar for our drinks and when we pointed it out the manager was not polite about it and refused to take off the extra charges. Basically the issue was the the drinks were listed as one price on the menu, and then we were charged a different price. This is was strange because the service elsewhere (front desk, housekeeping) was excellent.

One other thing I just find SO ANNOYING with expensive hotels: the wireless cost 10 dollars a night. Seriously....just include it in the per night price if you must charge for this. At this point, its like asking guests to pay extra in order to turn on the tv or use the lights! Internet access should BE FREE anywhere you are paying to sleep.

All in all, I wish I could give a wholehearted good review for this hotel because some things were above and beyond what I expected, but it was not perfect by a long shot.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
London
Reviewed July 3, 2009

This hotel is truly accessible - we had a great corner room with windows on two walls - a large double bed and lots of space to turn.

The bathroom had grab rails where needed, a high toilet, a roll-in shower with a requested shower chair supplied. I am very short so the vanitory unit with basin was too high for me.

They do not serve a hot breakfast, so we tried the Flying Biscuit one reviewer recommended, but we hated it - dirty floor and unhelpful service, not very nice food.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Norcross, Georgia
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead on June 20th. I was hesitant to stay there, after a few of the reviews, but I got a great deal on Priceline. I’m glad we went with one exception (the bar/lounge). The room was lovely. I loved the pillows and the comfortable bed. The bathroom, which was quite roomy, exceeded my expectations (I really enjoyed the large tub and the water pressure was great). While there, we tried the bar/lounge. As I said, it was the only blemish on a great stay. My husband had some drink made with pear vodka, and I had a Diamond Mai Tai ($26 and change with tax. This is for two drinks.) The drinks were below average, taste wise and way overpriced. Once we left a tip (which I really hated to do since the service was also below average), we spent over $30.00 for two drinks. My suggestion – bring your own alcohol. As far as food, we didn’t eat at the restaurant or order room service. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance of the Hyatt including the Buckhead Pizza Company, JJ’s sandwiches, and the Flying Biscuit. You are also within walking distance of the AMC’s Fork and Screen Movie Theater (which offers tasty meals which can be eaten while you enjoy a flick). The hotel is also convenient to both Phipps Plaza and Lenox Mall. Check-in and Check-out were both friendly and prompt. Service reps made us feel more than welcome. Yes, the parking is across the street (and does cost $20.00 – valet parking is available for more), but it’s not far at all. I recently had knee surgery, but I was able to make the walk with no problem at all. Despite my disappointment with the bar/lounge, I would most definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Weymouth
Reviewed June 2, 2009

My mother and I went to Atlanta for a girls weekend on Memorial Day. I was a little concerned about the hotel because of previous reviews. We thought the hotel was great. Food was great, staff couldn't have been more helpful. The location was perfect but I will say, you definitely need a car in Atlanta. We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt again. The only thing they could improve on would be free internet.

• Stayed May 2009
nc
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I stayed at the grand hyatt hotel in buckhead this past week and this was the worst hotel stay i have every had. I place is only a four star hotel for its location. Let's start by when you first pull up in the front to check in. the bell hops are very pushy. they open the door with on hand and before you walk thru the other hand is open for a tip. parking is twenty dollars a day. They dont tell you that when you first make resv. the parking lot is across the street and it is not connected to the hotel so, guess what, if its raining you just paid twenty dollars to get wet!!!. They have water in the room but dont drink it. It will cost you 4 dollars a bottle. Internet is not free so dont even think about wifi. it will cost you 10 dollars.No microwave. We stayed a day and half. The second day we noticed red spots on our body . we believe there was bed bugs in our bed. My wife was itching everytime she got in the bed. i felt like something was on me. We notified the front desk at 3 am. she told us that you can see bed bugs with the naked eye. we all know that is a lie. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NcJay
Jacksonville
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I decided to splurge alittle and stay at this 4 star rated hotel. I was alittle dissappointed. The service was wonderful, very courteous and helpful. Very clean. Great location. Our room faced busy Peachtree Road and we didn't hear any traffice noise. What I was dissappointed at was the bed/bedding. I choose this hotel because it boosted "grand beds with pillowtop mattresses". They were very uncortable and didn't seem at all like pillowtops. They didn't even have duvet covers or a covered comforter. It was a flat sheet followed by a duvet insert followed by another flat sheet. Felt very cheap and unfinished. Although the location and staff were wonderful, because of the bedding situation, I hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends