“service rules”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlantic Beach Fl
“service rules”
Reviewed February 5, 2009

I’m just wrapping up a three-night business trip at the Grand Hyatt Buckhead and what really stood out was the excellent service and attention to detail.
Originally built nearly 30 years ago as the Niko,the lobby bar had an East meets West decor with a faux view of a tranquil waterfall. Its sushi restaurant was the best in Atlanta in the 80’s. Sadly the sushi bar is long gone along with the tranquil Japanese garden. But the waterfall still provides the lobby with a great backdrop even though the Niko’sTara meets Tokyo decor has been traded for neutral plush and remaned Onyx at the Grand..
Check in was fast via kiosk but a fully staffed front desk was also available. Grand Hyatt Buckhead also has two kiosks on the ballroom level just below the main lobby that are more convenient to the self-parking lot.
My room was on one of three Regency Club floors. Overall the room was in good repair. The TV set was not flat screen and wired and wireless Internet speeds were slow and not up to modern hotel standards. Dialing out on the desk phone was bothersome; I got a busy signal least 40% of the time. The bed was comfortable with a feather mattress top and quality pillows and linens. The bathroom was good size for a hotel built in the 1980’s. with a tasteful marble floor, Speakman shower head and phone by the commode.
Cassis, the hotel’s main dining room, is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lighter fare is available in Onyx, the lobby lounge. The food was universally excellent. The breakfast buffet was what you might expect at any Hyatt except everything tasted good! Hot food was hot, cold food cold, just like it should be but usually isn’t. Room service was prompt and again standard Hyatt fare was prepared with care and skill. What a difference.
Housekeeping was very attentive. I never returned to a dirty room. Valet was prompt with the delivery of my car every time. At breakfast one morning the hostess traded my white napkin for a black on because she noticed I had on dark pants. They were gym shorts! Still a very nice gesture.
Food selection in the Regency Club was lacking for breakfast, strictly toaster friendly with no low carb choices. In the evening nothing hot on the Regency Club buffet but the cold presentation was very nice and included sushi (hopefully NOT leftover from the Niko). The club is open all day for soft drinks and snacks. Please be aware that The Regency Club stops serving breakfast at 8:30am.
Overall it was very please stay. It wouldn’t be hard for the hotel to invest in some new TV’s and trade up their ISP. There is a lot of competition in this price range in the Buckhead area and I hope Hyatt will catch up.

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Loved the Grand Hyatt. comfortable beds. Beautiful property. Convienent to everything Buckhead

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Took my wife and two adult daughters to Atlanta for three nights after Christmas to visit family, do some post holiday shopping, and to see the King Tut exhibit at the High Museum of Art (FABULOUS) as well as the The First Emperor: China's Terracotta Army exhibition at the Atlanta Civic Center (also FABULOUS).

Using Priceline.com I booked two double rooms for a 4-star hotel in the Buckhead area of Atlanta.

My bid of $90/ room/ night was accepted and we were assigned the Grand Hyatt Atlanta.

I have stayed there in the distant past when it was (originally) the Hotel Nikko, and one other time after it converted to Grand Hyatt.

This is still a nice hotel, but it is no longer a 4-star hotel.

It is clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. However, the furnishings and carpet are showing extensive wear, the paint on door frames is chipped, and the rooms have an odor of cleaning solution (upon returning home all the clothing in our bags had that "motel room" smell and needed to be washed even if unused).

The once lovely oriental garden off the lobby was "closed for renovations" without any evidence of ongoing efforts to renovate. Same for the pool. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant or use the lobby bar so cannot comment on them.

I think that Hyatt has let things slip badly here. The rooms are large and well furnished but the upkeep is wanting. This should not be classified as a 4-star hotel in spite of the large and well furnished rooms.

Internet service is available but at a cost of $10/ 24 hours (3 PM to 3 PM). NOT my idea of 4-star service.

Self parking with unlimited in and out privileges is available at an adjacent parking deck for $19/ night. Pretty much the going rate for hotels in the Buckhead area. However; the Grand Hyatt's garage is not connected to the hotel - you have to go outdoors and cross a service road to get from one to the other exposing you and luggage to the elements (rain) if the weather is inclement.

Bottom line, if you can get a room here for $90 or less/ night it is worthwhile for the location and room size. But if you have to (or want to) pay more you are better off going across the street to the Intercontinental, the neighboring Weston, the J.W. Marriott, or the W Hotel Buckhead.

• Stayed December 2008
2 Thank Truckstop39
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed December 21, 2008

I have never been so disappointed - especially in a Buckhead hotel. Every year, my friends and our husbands plan a night out on the town the weekend before Christmas. Last year, we were lucky enough to have our priceline bids accepted at the Intercontinental. It was fabulous. They let us pay an extra $50.00 per couple/room to have access to their club level (which included free cocktails, appetizers AND breakfast the next morning). Unfortunately, this year our bid was accepted at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead. We called and asked to be upgraded to their "Regency Club" level. They told us that it would be $50/per room. No problem! However, upon check-in, we were told that we would have access to appetizers and a free breakfast - but, the "cocktails" are not included! Excuse me - Here is the lingo form their website - you tell me what you think: "Enjoy access to a private lounge, featuring complimentary continental breakfast, evening cocktails and hors d’oeuvres and a dedicated Regency Club Concierge." Do they classify cocktails as Shirley Temples and Cherry Cokes? WHAT??? VERY disappointed. Anyway, we all ended up canceling our club room access (they lost over $300 on that deal). To accommodate us, they upgraded one couple into a suite. But, we had to make an extra trip out to buy our "cocktails" and we didn't have any foods to snack on and definitely didn't attempt breakfast in the AM. The rooms were average. You can tell it is an older hotel and could use some renovating. We'll definitely re-think bidding on priceline next year for our special night out. We want to be guaranteed a good time, and this just wasn't it. This hotel should be rated a 3 to 3.5 star at most. Sorry Hyatt! Loved other Hyatts in the past, but not this time!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Their website needs to be honest about the Club Level experience. Other club levels in the area are right on the money - and, we'll stay there next time....
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmtick
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 30, 2008

We had a really nice time for three nights at the Grand Hyatt Buckhead. The neighborhood was great - lots of nice restaurants and shopping within walking distance of the hotel. A Marta stop is also within about three blocks. We got a great deal from Priceline - less than $100 per night. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the lobby and room decor were stylish. The gym is excellent. The one thing I didn't like was the extortionate internet charges. I was online about eight minutes trying to make one reservation for dinner. I was so flustered by the mounting charges that I finally logged off without having accomplished what I was trying to do, so I basically paid $13.50 for absolutely nothing! (Needless to say, the reservation process was more complicated than usual.) Aside from that minor point, we loved the place and would happily stay there again.

Stayed November 2008
nbstrain
Reviewed November 29, 2008

It was a great . My wife ,children and myself had a really fun time. The staff was very profwssional. As I was leaving and I had already tip the gentleman that brought down our bags but my wife thought I did not and when she tried to tip he refused to take her tip. Saying your husband has taking care of that. We are not rich but had he have taken her tip we would not be unset. Its the the small things that that define an Hotel.

Nathan Strain

Stayed November 2008
Florida
Reviewed November 18, 2008

We stayed here for one night while traveling through Atlanta. We have stayed at many Grand Hyatt's, but never this one. The hotel was beautiful. The lobby, bar area, gardens...everything was very well decorated and taken care of. The room was very nice and we had a great view of downtown Atlanta. I have read some complaints here on the firmness of the beds, but we both found them to be comfortable. The bathrooms were very nice as well.

As we have found with most Hyatt's, this was a great property and we would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple