“Just sort of okay”

Ranked #116 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Charleston, South Carolina
“Just sort of okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Short weekend stay for a family function. We already had mixed feelings even before arrival - our family had reserved a block of rooms at a "special rate", but when we called, they no longer had a king room in the block, so we got a room outside the "special rate" and saved $30 over what our other family members paid. Rip off #1. Arrival was fine, very nice front desk. Valet parking was $25, regular parking $20, and we had no way of knowing that the garage was very easy and convenient - most Atlanta parking is a nightmare - so we went with valet. Rip off #2. We ended up riding with other family members who were parked in the garage and it was easy so I highly recommend you self-park - you get your car a lot faster that way.

Breakfast was included and was okay just to get something in your stomach, but the food was only marginal. You can't argue with free, though. And the coffee was very good.

Room was okay as well, spacious, great bed and bed linens. Housekeeping failed to clean our sink and it was rather disgusting, but otherwise the room was fine.

Overall, for value in Buckhead it's a good location and decent price. Just don't expect luxury.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Room 1026 has powerful smell of mold, causing headache and nausea. Unable to obtain new room until the next morning. Otherwise, good value, attractive room, friendly omelette makers at breakfast and free manager's happy hour was a very nice perk.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Shelbyville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was our 1st visit to the ES in Buckhead. Raining when we arrived but the Valet service was great. A little salty - $25.00/night for Valet or $20.00 self-park. Check-in was quick and the desk clerk was courteous. We stayed on the 3rd floor in the corner room which was quiet and what we asked for. The bathtub was leaking and needed updated (looked dirty) but the bed was comfortable and room was nice/clean. Ruth Chris Steak House is located in the hotel and we got room service from there. Delicious!!! The Breakfast had a nice variety. Would stay there again if heading back to Atlanta.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Room 1604: November 15-17, 2013
Some Observations:
1) Noisy kids next door in Room 1602-I banged on wall, and they either stopped screaming or were leaving the room as I banged. Not sure which, but noise stopped. I did hear them a few hours later or some other kids running and screaming in hallway.
2) Cigarette butts in the stairwell?? Front desk staff told me only smoking rooms were on 8th floor-they agreed with me that there should be none, but …. They need to put some detectors like airplanes have in the lavatories in their stairwells, have the doors lock automatically for 5-10 minutes when they go offf (no longer for safety issues, of course) and catch and fine these people.
3) Breakfast buffet was good. You had to stand in one of two lines: one for made to order eggs and omelets and one for scrambled eggs and extras. If you got a made to order item, you then moved over to the center area and were served from the other area any extras such as sausage patties, bacon, hash browns, grits, or pancakes. Jessica could do 8-10 orders at a time. She had a griddle and those round metal things like they have at Waffle House and was taking care of everyone efficiently and quickly. The Embassy Suites in downtown Tampa needs to send their people here to train. Tampa has two lines which are slow and inefficient. Jessica was also very friendly and had a great sense of humor. All of those working at breakfast were doing a great job! You are supposed to have your card punched, but they never punched ours at breakfast or the manager’s reception. I don’t know what they would have done had the two of us eaten at separate times if they were punching 100% of the cards. You can usually tell who belongs and who doesn’t anyway. They do need to add rye bread. They had whole wheat, but the other three bread slots all appeared to be white bread. There were juices and coffee plus an out of order soft drink area (the water and ice worked, but people didn’t read the sign posted so glaringly on the machine). There were little girlies running around the area as they were eating mainly sweets. I would hate to have been their chaperone or parent!
4) Trying to take a bath took a long time because of the very low water pressure. It took over 20 minutes to fill the tub. The runover drain took more out once I got in than was coming in so it should never flood for that reason. The hot water was lukewarm since the hotter the water, the slower the trickle. The shower was better but still lacked pressure although the water was the right temperature. Water in the sink was ok. The toilet flushed in one attempt usually.
5) The front room had a tv, sofa, a desk, and some chairs. This room was ok. There were 2 sinks, one in the bedroom and one in the living room area so that was a plus. The coffee pot worked well, and 2 regular, 2 decaf, and 2 tea packets were provided each day. There was a small fridge and a small microwave.
6) The manager’s reception was fun. I really liked the two ladies and one gentleman behind the bar. The guy walking around welcoming people and shaking hands was also a nice touch. They had dark and regular beer-not sure which brand plus several wine choices (all domestic, I think) and some cocktail options as well. It goes from 5:30 until 7:30 each evening. It can get crowded, but there are lots of tables in various locations around and above the lobby. The bathroom is located close by and is very convenient. I didn’t make it to the workout room because you have to go through the pool area to access it, and I was only in that area for breakfast or the manager’s reception.
7) We took the shuttle to Lenox. I was disappointed in the food choices at Lenox; it wasn’t the same as 25 years ago when there was a cafeteria in the very lower level, a Houlihan’s in the front, etc. The food court had a lot of Asian and sandwich shops. The California Pizza kitchen has been there forever, but I am not a big fan of their pizza. The shuttle guy was very nice and talkative. He offered us a card so we call to get back, but I had already picked one up at the front desk when I asking them to call the shuttle. It stopped raining so we ended up walking back anyway. I was going to take the shuttle to St. Philip’s on Sunday morning but decided I didn’t have “the right clothes” to visit my old parish so I opted out. I had brunch plans just after noon and didn’t think I could eat breakfast, shower, dress, and get there in time for the 8:45 service since breakfast didn’t start until 7:30. They need to start breakfast a bit earlier on the weekends-say 7:00 even. If you’ve got lunch plans, football plans, etc., you need to get an earlier start that 7:30?? Breakfast starts at 6:00 on the weekdays, but I was there Friday afternoon through Sunday noon.
I was very impressed with everyone I encountered on the staff, but I am giving a 4 because of the few issues below:
1) Cigarette butts in the stairwell
2) Water pressure
3) Lack of mouthwash and other extras in the bathroom
4) Thin walls so you could hearing screaming ninnies (poor parenting rather than the hotel’s fault) in the next room 1602 (plus kids running at breakfast and in the halls)
5) Parking fees (although I didn’t have a car, I couldn’t have my friend stop by other than to pick us up or drop us off due to the outrageous fees), but this part of Atlanta has really grown up-I remember when the Darlington sign hit 2M in the early 80’s, and now it is almost 6.2 M!!!
6) Television stations very limited-our two tvs didn’t get ESPN2 but had ESPN on both ESPN and ESPN2 so I couldn’t watch one of the college football games I would like to have seen.
7) Shuttle say free anywhere within 1 mile (Doubletree says 2 miles), but I didn’t test them to see how flexible they are with this policy.

In summary, I would definitely stay here again. It is convenient to the Buckhead Marta station. It’s about a 200 yard/meter walk south from the exit. And it’s an easy $2.50 (plus a $1 for the Breezeway card) charge from the airport. You can reload your cards so you only have to pay that fee once. The rooms are clean and have most everything needed for a great stay. The bed is very comfortable with the duvet, and the a/c works very well. We were on the top floor and had a westward view so I could see all the traffic down below on Peachtree. I could see Stone Mountain from the elevator (it is east/northeast of the hotel). The 3 elevators were all operational and provided quick ups and downs. The business center on the 2nd floor had one of the fastest connections and printing times that I’ve experience in a long time. I was able to log on, access my account, and print 2 boarding passes (had to print them separately so we could eat receive our “have one on us” coupon from Delta) in less than 3 minutes. I had originally made 2 reservations ($94 here and $89 at the Double Tree) but opted on this one because of the manager’s reception and the breakfast even though we usually get the full breakfast at most Double Trees due to our status, but I didn’t want to arrive there and only get a high carb continental breakfast only so I cancelled the Double Tree a few weeks prior and am glad I did. Thanks to Jessica and others at the omelet station, the nice people at the manager’s reception, the front desk team, the shuttle driver, and everyone else (housekeeping did a great job although I never had any interaction), we had a great stay in the city where I lived 4 years in both the 80’s and 90’s. We will return!

Fernandina Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was the fourth time my husband and I have stayed at the Atlanta Buckhead Embassy Suites. We have stayed at two other hotels in Buckhead, which paled in comparison. The location is fantastic - near the MARTA tunnel and Lennox Mall. Our two-room suite was beautiful, the bed comfortable, and the room very neat and clean. We stayed two nights (Fri-Sat) and never heard so much as a pin drop while we were sleeping. At most hotels, you can hear the "click" and "slam" of doors opening and closing while you are trying to sleep, but not this one!. The property is lovely and modern, with koi ponds and a large common seating area. The entire hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. We are already looking forward to our next stay at the Embassy Suites in Buckhead!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Stockbridge, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

have stayed downtown Atlanta many times, first time at Embassy, Buckhead - 2nd rate at best - lost reservation and then would not assist at desk - asked us to step aside and call main reservation number - fridge frozen up, called for maintenance but never came, brkfst buffet was pittiful - no buffet at all - in elevator overheard customer stating they were given key at late checkin for somone else's room-went in while they were sleeping - totally humiliated

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

KerensaW, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
James,

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize you were disappointed in our service and breakfast offerings. We will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience, and hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night solo business traveler. Check-in was a breeze from front desk to valet. Courteous and friendly. Nice big space inside with faux koi pond and trees. Ruth's Chris steakhouse in hotel. Expensive, bar service a bit brusque but good food and actually service was knowledgable and good except for that one barman. But maybe that's just his style.
Large suite. Living room plus bedroom, both nice size. Everything clean, spotless, kudos to housekeeping. Comfy bed.
Half of bathroom was modern, but tile in tub/shower was dowdy. I only notice because I am remodeling the bathroom in my house. Don't get me wrong, overall, this bathroom is still nicer than my own.
Checkout just as easy.
Gym facilities kind of just ok. Pool is nice but only 3-4 feet deep so legs hit the bottom. Almost there just to say they have it. Gym actually just a small too without windows, kind of like an afterthought.
Breakfast rocked. Friendly guys manning the grill will make to order. Serviceable quality food.
Shuttle will take you where you want to go.
Overall,the way I think of it is that take a motel, what would you pay for it. Not what you'd like to pay, but actually pay, say $100? This is at least 2-3x as good. I mean it's a nice ambience so it's worth the $200 / night total.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business