“I Had A Bady Experience”

Hotel Indigo Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #64 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Arrived to find out that parking was $25 a night. Then went to room to find the bathroom just painted, blue tape still all over, no shower curtain or towels in bathroom. They moved us to another room, same thing. Bathrooms so small you cannot even undress for the shower with the door closed. Then I went to leave and my parking key didn't work, so I had to park again, go back inside and have them give me another parking key. In their favor, the food in the lobby restaurant was great, the staff was friendly and the decor was modern and interesting.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nick J
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

It's great to hear you enjoyed our 683 Midtown Bar and Bistro and that our team members made a good impression with their friendliness. We are deeply sorry for the unnecessary inconvenience to you for checking you into rooms we were in the processing of refreshing. It was an oversight by us for which we are sorry and want to make sure we took care of you and made it right while you were here with us. The bathrooms, as you have probably read previously, are petite. This is due to the historical nature of the building and designs incorporated back in 1925. To help give guests the best experience possible we made the showers over-sized and put a great high-pressure shower head in there to give an invigorating start to the day. Thank you for the feedback and please let me know if there is anything we can do to make up for our miscues with your arrival. We want to make you happy fan of Hotel Indigo!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here because we were going to see a show at the Fox Theater. The hotel's location is perfect for this. Otherwise it was a bit of a let down.
Pro:
Great location, great staff, cool lobby and bar.

Con:
Small room
Full size bed
Stiff sheets that weren't comfortable
Noise: you can hear everything through the window and we were on the fourth floor

We wouldn't stay at this location again. The Hotel Indigo in Nashville, TN is much nicer room wise.

Room Tip: If possible interior not facing the parking deck or Peachtree.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you staying with us. We hope you enjoyed your midtown trip and evening at the Fox Theatre across the street. It is disappointing to hear we did not measure up to your expectations and that you did not fully enjoy your experience. Many of your noted concerns are addressable such as the room type - we do have several room types offering rooms with a king, queen, and full size beds. We can also accommodate guest requests to be in a certain part of the hotel to help ensure the most comfortable and enjoyable experience. I welcome you to try us again and please let me know in advance and we will make sure you get the best room for your comfort. Thank you for taking time to write us. I hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I came here to stay for a few days as work was close by. It is down the street from the public transportation called MARTA only 1 block down the street so it is convenient.

Short version
Good and Easy Check in. Room is small for most people. Eating and Bar Area are decent. Staff for entire hotel is friendly and will answer your questions. Close to public transportation (MARTA) within 1 block. Turn right out the hotel there are plenty of places to eat. Turn left out the hotel and about 3-4 blocks away is a homeless shelter. No microwave or refrigerator. Good place to stay overall -- I'd come back.

Check In
I got here a bit early and brought all my bags with me. I checked to see if there was a room available. The front desk person checked and unfortunately a room was not available. I was told the cleaning staff started in a couple of hours but would try to get me in as quickly as possible. I asked about leaving my bags while I go find breakfast and go to church. The person assisting me kindly said yes and brought my bags in the back. I only mention this because I had 2 laptops in a laptop bag and a slightly expensive camera and lenses in my luggage and am very wary about leaving anything of value. I saw the person leave the bag in the back office room -- one way in and one way out. Plenty of hotel cameras to monitor what is going on. I felt pretty good about leaving stuff. A few hours later I came back and my room was ready. My bags came out and I got into my room.

The Room
As noted by many other people the room is somewhat small for what many people come to expect. I will try to include pictures of the room I took however just know that "step wise" -- I could take approximately 4-5 steps inside the door to hit the bed and then another 6-8 steps to hit the end of the room. The room has the normal amenities -- desk, closet, a storage area below the tv with shelves, iron, ironing board, lounge chair. The floor looked like laminate with a rug runner in front of the bed. Bathroom had tile. Desk was glass top. Bed was comfortable -- 4 pillows and the normal linens. The room decor was very colorful (see pictures of others and my pictures if I am able to load them). Wifi is included in the room - a plug is on the lamp. May I suggest anybody bring a small power strip if you can to plug multiple items if needed. How many of us have a laptop, ereader, phone to charge all at once and don't want to locate everything around the room?

The Bathroom
Noted by many people -- the bathroom is tiny. I am 5'7" and "husky" in build. Not overtly big okay but large enough to be wide enough to almost fill a doorway. As you enter the bathroom you have 1-1.5 steps to get in the bathroom doorway and step into the shower. So take the first step in the doorway -- you're in the bathroom facing the shower. Without taking another step -- rotate 90 degrees you see the toilet. Rotate 180 degrees and you are now facing the sink and mirror. Did I say not to take a step and just rotate your body? Alrighty -- so lets say you need to take care of business in the bathroom. When you take your throne be careful to sit straight down and not bend over too far -- you will literally hit your head on the edge of the sink. Here is another tip -- the toilet paper tissue on your left is probably closer to your back than your side. Take the toilet paper off the holder and place it on the sink in front of you. Unless you have a good stretchable back and arm you will be struggling. Otherwise the shower and sink are pretty standard.

Exercise Room
I exercised once during my stay. Equipment wise -- 2 treadmills, 1 stair stepper, 1 recumbent bike, 1 cabled weight machine with multiple positions to hit the major muscle groups, 3(?) sets of dumbbells of various weight. Max weight I think was either 20lb or 30lb weights. There are towels in the room and a TV. Water inside on the left. A separate toilet room with sink. My only thought here was that I did not see any antibacterial cloths to wipe down the equipment. I did take a soapy paper towel from the sink and wipe anything I was going to touch. The room was generally clean but the soapy towel did definitely take away something that was on the handles of whatever I was using.

Daily cleaning
Pretty standard here. I opted to use the same towel and linens every day. Not a problem with me. At least I know I am using the same towels every day versus getting something else. They were all clean -- nothing to complain about there but I feel a bit more comfortable knowing that I am using one towel for at least 2-3 days before changing out. I did see the cleaning staff once while I was there otherwise I would leave in the morning and be back in the evening and the room was cleaned up.

Breakfast Area / Bar / Food
Located in the first floor is the bar / food area. I ate breakfast here every morning during my stay. The area opens at 630AM each morning with a single half slice of paper listing the breakfast items. A la carte items start at around $3 all the way up to the morning rituals. I opted to stay within my daily $10 limit that the company was providing me. For my $10 + another $3 I was able to get a Croissant Sandwich (Eggs, Bacon, Cheese) and a cup of refillable coffee. I will not skimp this review and forget the 1/2 slice of strawberry and 1/4 slice of pineapple. I will say that I could probably get a little more at an outside place but convenience and quick service is what I paid for. The staff was very helpful and quick -- recognized me each morning within minutes (if not seconds) of coming in. Kudos to them for being quick. There are places within walking distance with cheaper and heartier meals but I recommend trying this out at least once during the stay.

Bar wise at night -- plenty of people that come have a drink. I primarily had bottled beer, both american and european beers. There was beer on tap. I also spied some harder liquors and wines. The bar had something for everybody and for not having to walk outside somewhere this was a decent enough place.

Outside Area (What is on the right, what is on the left)
NOTE: There are homeless people in the area asking for money, a cigarette or in general looking for something. Most are not overly aggressive however they will ask. The hotel does have somebody go outside when they notice these people and have them move on their way. I figure that it is the same people and the staff knows who they are.

Right side of hotel
You will find a bevy of places to eat, drink and general things to do. Here is a list of places -- Starbucks, Gordon Biersch, Five Guys Burger and Fries, Mexican Food (name I forget), The Vortex (think super burger joint that got featured on the Food Network), CVS pharmacy. This is probably where I spent the majority of my time. The walk is decent -- within 5-7 minutes you are either at a place to eat, drink or do general looking around.

Left side of hotel
There are a few places worth noting when walking towards the left side of the hotel. Gladys Knight and Ron Winans have a Chicken and Waffles restaurant that is open for lunch and dinner. I did get there once during lunch. I had the signature Chicken and Waffles. It was worth it if you can get there for lunch. Skip dinner -- place is packed and easily a 45 minutes wait. Also of note -- there is a 24 hour diner on the next block across the street. It does not look like anything special in front but step into the door and there is seating towards the back. Towards the left and back a few blocks is also a place called Mary Macs Tea Room. If walking -- get there in the daytime. At night if you are in a big group and feel okay with walking then go for it -- otherwise take a taxi for the 3-4 block ride, eat and feel secure getting back to the hotel.

Other places of note:
- Churchill Downs -- Across the street on the right side of the Fox Theater. Jazz music in the back room, smoking in the front room with the bar. I went here 2 nights. They have live jazz in the back room. There was a $7 cover charge with $5 drink minimum per set. Advertised start time is 930PM but most of the music started at about 10PM. I was able to bring my own cigars and smoke. They have a very good selection of cigars in case you don't have any. Standard drinks -- beer, wine and hard liquor. Staff was friendly.
- Waffle House -- close to Georgia Tech about a 10-12 minute walk towards the right about 4-5 blocks and down 1-2 blocks. They open at 6AM and have a good hearty waffle, eggs and food special for < $8 -- and that comes with the coffee.
- Barnes and Noble bookstore at Georgia Tech - It was not open however I could see souvenir type of trinkets inside the bookstore. Think --keychains, shot glasses, refrigerator magnets
- The Varsity Restaurant -- walk about 2-3 blocks in front of the hotel, down about another 2-3 blocks and you will hit The Varsity Restaurant. Burger joint, busy, know what you want or get moved out the way type of place.

Notes
- There is a small area across the way for general sitting away from the food area. I saw many people relaxing in there with a paper, a book for reading, meeting with other people or having their laptop plugged into the wall to do work, watch movies or surf the web. Seating capacity in the room was about 12-15 if you really filled all the available chairs. Standing you could probably get 15-20 with some elbow room.
- There is an outside seating area right in front of the hotel. I would approximate 8-10 table with 4 seats each. It was cold this week and many people were outside with thicker jackets. Some had wine, some had beer. On some days people were outside smoking cigarettes and cigars.
- Smoking -- I mentioned the above outside area. Smoking is okay at these tables. I did not smoke outside -- too cold -- but I did sit outside a few days when it was not too cold before sunset.

For those that made it down all the way through the review -- I would stay here again. The room was small for those that want to just stay in the room all the time otherwise it is a standard update room that was comfortable. I like the staff -- the bar area -- the general outside areas. Overall a good experience. What would make it great? Warmer weather so I could sit outside and enjoy. Hotel can't do anything about the weather. I would rate this a 4.5 if I could.

Room Tip: Elevators are slow -- try for a lower floor level if you can to get up and down quicker or take the...
1  Thank pnothere
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Great feedback and details about your experience at Hotel Indigo! We appreciate the thought and time you invested to review our hotel and neighborhood. You gave great suggestions - we especially liked your suggestion for antibacterial wipes in the fitness room. We added them to the fitness room this week. Your suggestion will benefit future guests and made the hotel an even better place to stay because of your ideas and feedback. You also noted some great places to try when you are here. Might I add a few more for you to try on your next visit. Two of my favorites are Baraonda (Italian, across the street) and Ecco (Mediterranean, 5 blocks away). Both have a nice ambiance, excellent food and great service. Thank you again for your review and for your endorsement. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Midtown Atlanta. A previous stay at the Hotel Indigo at the Atlanta Airport was outstanding so was looking forward to this visit. The hotel is modern and artsy, but tired. Lot's of chipped furniture edges, over-paint and tired art work. Our room was small, and the bathroom even smaller. The rubber ducky left for us was cute, but didn't help the fact that the toilet, sink and shower stall were all within a 5'x5' square...if that. We paid extra for a "city view", so couldn't figure out who made the decision to place the armoir (room too small for a closet), within 2' of the window. Flat screen was fine. Galvanized bucket for ice was a bit strange as it matched the wastecan. The headboard and and wood furnishings were kind of "country" while the rest of the room was "city"??? Probably OK in 2003, but not up to the standard of the InterContintal Hotel Group

The bed included the absolutel hardest mattress that I have ever attempted to sleep on, with 4 of the smallest pillows known to man. My home sofa has larger "throw pillows". I got up at 3am with back spasms from neck to waist. I had seen a massage shower head earlier, so figured I would squeeze into the bathroom, and try hot massaging water on my throbbing back. Either the water pressure is poor, OR, the water is restricted...in essence, the "massaging shower head" was useless.

The staff seemed most friendly, but this hotel was a HUGE disappointment, having previously visited the new Indigo near the airport. Great location...hope this hotel is slated for a re-do soon!

Room Tip: Ask if any rooms have larger bathrooms?
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank fsumtnguy

Thank you for staying with us and giving us your valued feedback. I apologize your experience was less than inspired. We always want our guests to enjoy the hotel and be welcomed as if they are family so I am happy to hear you had good interactions with our team members. Although, it appears we failed to take excellent care of you during your stay to address your concerns. The hotel is built in a historical building that does require a fine line in keeping with historical standards and modern conveniences. The building was constructed in 1923 and we became the very first Hotel Indigo in the world in 2004 and remodeled in 2011-12. Though our bathrooms are small, the showers are over-sized and give guests more space than most hotel showers. We did not dazzle you during your first stay, but we want to make your second experience much more inspired. Please contact me directly if you would like to give us another chance. I personally assure you we will work to make it right for you so you have a wonderful Indigo Experience. Regards, Gabriele Webster

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I recently stayed at this boutique hotel. Although it is in a great location, I found it a bit tired. The decor is funky as is the layout of the lobby but it is nothing special. The bathrooms are the size of a small closet. Wifi is free and the room is fine but no mini fridge/bar, though there is a coffee maker. The bed was comfortable. I would investigate other options before I would stay here again. However, the staff was very helpful.

1  Thank RChris0

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We appreciate your business and are sorry to hear you were less than inspired by your stay with us. We strive to provide a friendly, welcoming and true neighborhood experience of which our decor ties into the Visual Music theme that helped put Midtown on the map and continues to fuel the vitality of the area. We hope you will give us another try and will visit with us again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very artsy and modern feel throughout the whole hotel. Gorgeous reception area with a nice bar. Clean rooms and very comfortable beds! The staff were helpful and accommodating.

The coffee is great!!!

-N

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our “Visual Music" theme told through the hotel's design, inspired by the nearby historic Fox Theatre. Our Midtown location is conveniently located to many great Atlanta locations and I hope you had the chance to fully enjoy our neighborhood. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay and our restaurant, and we look forward to your next neighborhood visit here at Hotel Indigo Midtown Atlanta.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

after having a phenomenal experience at Hotel Indigo, Nashville this Atlanta hotel fell short, way short. All together not the staffs issue, but the fact is that it is a really old building that has been moderately renovated. Crazy small bathrooms, thin walls are all to common in older buildings. The atmoshere in the lobby and bar area are really good and the location next to the Historic Fox Theatre couldn't be better. All in all just not what we expected out of this eclectic, really cool hotel chain that we experienced in Nashville.

Room Tip: Request a room on the front of the Hotel with a view of Peachtree Street and The Fox Theatre
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

We are thrilled you are a fan of the Hotel Indigo brand and thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and wish we had met your expectations. As you experienced between the two Hotel Indigo properties your visited, each is unique in its design, decor and neighborhood story. We all work hard to design and deliver the experience that shares with the guest a slice of Atlanta's DNA - the true charm of a city's soul. As you experienced, for Hotel Indigo Atlanta that is the Fox Theatre and other great music venues - large and small that permeate the midtown neighborhood. We agree with your recommendation on booking the upgraded rooms facing the Fox Theatre and downtown view - those offer the best views for sure. We hope you will come visit again.