“Great hotel, but parking is extra.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Artmore Hotel

Artmore Hotel
Ranked #17 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Winston-Salem
“Great hotel, but parking is extra.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

My husband and I vacationed in Atlanta for a few days and were very pleased with our stay at The Artmore. The hotel has a hip and artsy vibe. The studio lounge is small, but inviting. The courtyard was a great place to relax at most times, but also provided entertainment on some evenings. Our room was more like an apartment than a standard hotel room (living space upon entrance, bedroom upstairs). The service was impeccable. The staff were friendly and very helpful. All of the front desk and lounge staff seemed to have a wide knowledge of restaurants and attractions in the area. My only complaint was that before arriving at the hotel, we were were not aware that parking would be over $15 per day.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BlueSuedeShoez
gmartmorehotel, General Manager at Artmore Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Thank you so much BlueSuedeShoez for staying with us, and for sharing this fantastic review. I look forward to showing this to our team. I do, however, want to apologize that you were not aware of our parking charges of $15 plus taxes in advance. Space is a premium in midtown, and our overnight parking charge is the least expensive out of our competitors. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Artmore!

Safe travels,

Michael Halpner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Finger Lakes Wine Country, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

Stayed at the Artmore Hotel while in Atlanta on a business trip. The Midtown B&B where I usually stay was full and referred me to the Artmore. The location was perfect for my needs. The hotel had a good vibe. The exterior was neat ... a courtyard with cushy benches, a bar and a fire pit. The interior was contemporary with a bar adjacent to the lobby. The bartender was great (can't remember her name). The room itself was spacious and nicely decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was functional but a bit small.

I was on the first floor on a busy side street so there was some traffic noise but it didn't impact my sleep. However, my coworkers stayed in rooms overlooking the courtyard and said it was very loud until 11:00 or 12:00 at night.

Since it is an intown location parking is limited so we valeted our car. In some cases it took 20 minutes to get the car even though we had called ahead 15 or 20 minutes before getting down to the lobby. It made us late to our meetings a few times.

The workout room is very limited. The breakfasts were very good! Good southern food (grits, gravy, etc) along with healthy options, coffee, teas, juices, etc. All of the people working at the hotel in every capacity were very nice.

So overall the space is great but they still need to work a few kinks out service-wise. I think it's an ideal hotel to stay at if you're in Atlanta for fun, tourism, to party, etc. But it probably isn't the best place to stay for business.

I would go back again under different circumstances.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks eplwv69 for staying with us, and for taking the time to write this review. I am glad that you would come back again, and that you were able to provide some constructive criticism. The items that you mentioned are actually what we are working on improving....specifcally adding more valet attendants, and upgrading our windows. One of our major capital projects that will start this year, and continue next year is to replace the windows, starting in the coutyard first. This will be to ensure that guests can enjoy the courtyard, while our other guests here for business can get a peaceful nights rest undisturbed. You will find that the Artmore is not only a perfect hotel for fun, but for all of your business needs as well. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Bradenton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

I spent my birthday in Atlanta and had decided the Artmore looked like the place to stay. From the moment we arrived the staff was amazing. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the room as a whole was stylish and fantastic to stay in. The only problem I had was the bathroom. There was paint chipping off of most surfaces which gave it an unclean look, and it looked like someone had broken the faucet and repaired the broken tiles with cheap spackling.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gmartmorehotel, General Manager at Artmore Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Hey cptJaibird, thanks so much for taking the time to write this review, and for sharing your feedback about your stay at the Artmore. I am glad that despite having a less than perfect room, you still walked away a fan of the Artmore, and that you discovered how genuinely friendly our team is. If you would be so kind as to contact me, I would love to find out some more information about the room you were in in the hopes of taking care of the problem, and properly making it up to you. Thanks again!

plymouth, ma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

I really wish I could give the Artmore 4-5 stars because everything after our reservation and check in was nice, the rooms were spacious and we had a great time there but I suppose I should explain why I chose three. This will be a bit of a novel.

When we initially made our reservation it was for a room reserved in a block. Other guests in that block had issues with booking so we were warned by one of the friends who had signed the contract with the hotel that there might be issues and if so, to contact him as he'd already spoken to the manager and supposedly straightened it out. He gave my name and my husband's name to the manager who put it on a room to make sure we'd get in before the cutoff date.

My husband called to book the room. He was told they had nothing available. When he asked about the block and room reserved, he was told they were all "released" which we knew to be inaccurate. After a lot of text messages and both the friend and my husband calling the Artmore, it was determined that there were in fact rooms but the front desk couldn't do anything about it since only a manager could see them and eventually we were given a confirmation number and told we'd have a room.

A few days before we were set to check in, we got the email that a few others received as well asking if there was any requests we had or anything we needed. MY husband (to whom the email was addressed) replied and said that I was having a package delivered and that it may beat us there, gave my name (our last names are different) and requested the package be held at the front desk until we arrived.

Fastforward to our travel date. We flew in to Atlanta and arrived around 9:30AM. We picked up a Zipcar and stopped at the hotel briefly while doing quick errands. This was around 11AM. We were told that our room wasn't ready but if we came back around 2, it would be. I asked about the package and I was told that it hadn't been delivered yet but there was a note on our reservation. There was an offer made to hold our luggage and we were given tickets to claim it when our room was ready.

We had a meetup with the couple getting married as well as other wedding guests around noon so we went off to that, completed our errands, dropped our Zipcar off and went back to the Artmore via the MARTA. It was around 2:30. Again we were told that a room was not available and that we could have a seat in the bar area while we waited. We were given a guest bag that was left at the front desk but we found out through our friend's mom that they had the wrong first name written down. Somehow our “what can we do for you?” email was addressed to my husband's correct name (Keenan) but they had “Kenny” down for the guest bags. The bar opened early that day - per the bartender it was because they were "very busy". Makes sense though, a lot of people waiting for rooms who'd enjoy a cool drink, be it alcoholic or non-alcoholic. I sipped on my Coca-Cola and watched no fewer than three rooms find their temporary owners as people after us were checked in. No big deal, I figured, we are in the air conditioning, it is nice, this area is nice and we should be in soon. This was around 3:30PM.

Fifteen minutes later, a man came in who had apparently made a reservation through Travelocity. He was told his reservation had been canceled. More guests were coming in and he was holding up the line so the front desk had him use the house phone to call Travelocity and straighten it out. Everything worked out for him but by that point there was a bridal party who had taken over the courtyard and the bridesmaids were in the only ladies room accessible by someone without a room key (me) so after imbibing the aforementioned Coca-Cola and I needing to use the facilities, well, none were available. That wasn't so much the hotel's fault as it was inconsiderate guests but they had no idea that it was the only bathroom and that we were still waiting on a room. I distracted myself by checking the tracking information on the package that was supposed to be delivered there and found out that not only had it been delivered days prior but it had been RETURNED to the post office the next day as "UNDELIVERABLE AS ADDRESSED". It was addressed to ME c/o Artmore Hotel. My husband checked - no room yet, please sit down and wait, et cetera. He asked about the package and was told it was “just at the post office” which is great when it is both Saturday after noon and on a holiday weekend when the post offices would be closed on Monday.

Out of curiosity, I did check the Travelocity rate and it was $60 in total less than what I was paying for two of the three nights. I contacted my friend and he said that another couple had booked with the block and then booked with Travelocity and that the staff accommodated them and there wasn't a reason we shouldn't be able to do the same. My husband went back up to the desk to check on our room and ask about the difference in rate. He was given a canned excuse about how “that was the rate when you booked”. Still no room and with a different crew behind the desk who were utterly clueless as to how long we were waiting and how their returning of my package - the contents of which were the shoes I was intending to wear to the wedding on Sunday - had screwed with our plans for the duration of our trip just pushed my patience beyond its limits and I walked out. Originally my intent was to find a restroom but by the time I crossed the second crosswalk and determined that it was VERY HOT it was to get anywhere cool that would accept my money and let me shower and use the facilities. It was only by my husband's convincing and my friend taking time out of his day to help us and yet again call the hotel on behalf of us that I considered going back. I was at the MARTA station with my husband's netbook tethered to my phone making a Travelocity reservation and really in need of a shower and a nap so I relented and agreed to pay the agreed-upon rate for Saturday and book Sunday and Monday via Travelocity but that wasn't the point. Yes, saving money was great but the point was I later found out I sat in the lobby for TWO HOURS past their guaranteed check in time of 3PM and didn't even get up to my room until 5:30 most of which was because we were waiting on them to straighten things out and confirm that yes, our room was ready. We were given four drink tickets for our troubles which I found to be kind of insulting but hey, maybe we'd use them.

By the time I got up to the room I was so drained that I showered, heard my husband snoring from the bed, grabbed a towel and collapsed next to him. We slept until almost 2AM. I missed two events in that time that I was looking forward to attending because I was so exhausted and slept through my very loud alarm. Luckily the group had met up in the courtyard and were still there when we woke up so we didn't completely miss out on being social. The courtyard, by the way, was what made me give this place a second chance.

The rest of the stay was pretty non-eventful and the bride and I happened to wear the same size shoes so I was able to borrow a pair from her but I still felt awful for adding to their stress because of the inability for the people at the Artmore to effectively communicate things such as:

"This block still has rooms in it. One of those rooms is for [my name] and [husband's name] who will be calling on [date]."

"Hey, that couple has been waiting for their room."

"This package belongs to a guest who will be arriving in a few days"

Regarding the actual room, the closet space was a good amount for two people staying for a few days. There were hangers and shelves. The walls were painted and in good condition and the room's air conditioning worked well. I definitely appreciated the blackout curtains and the comfortable desk chair. There was a good amount of counter space and a small minifridge and snack area with a price menu tucked nearby. The towels were very plush and comfortable and the bed linens were freshly laundered and soft. Based on the storage capacity of the closet and the dresser under the TV, one could easily stay for a week if not two and have different clothes for each day if they chose to do that.

I did notice in their guest information packet that there was a reference to the breakfast menu being IN the same guest information packet but I didn't see it. They also offered dry cleaning (when I called, it was M-F only) and shoeshining (again, when I called, I was told it "was not offered at this time") so it is best to call them and confirm before going by anything on their site or guest info packets. Their wi-fi was okay, pretty spotty though but it worked for the few times I used it. The beds were comfortable and my only real issue with the room was the frosted glass window in the shower that had no way to cover when the sun was directly pointing into it. It was really nice for doing makeup but not very nice for trying to take a shower during the day and not feel like you were under the spotlight the entire time.

There is also only one elevator so unless you are taking the steps, it is a bit of a wait if the hotel is busy.

Final take: 5 stars for accommodations/location. Lovely room with no issues. So close to the Arts Center stop and there is a free shuttle to Atlantic Station which is very valuable if you want to shop a bit or pick up something from Target... like insoles for the shoes you had to borrow that still gave you blisters because it was VERY HOT and now you can barely walk which is fun when you get to go to the airport and still have bits of the city to explore and you get to hobble behind the rest of the group going "I'M OKAY REALLY" while you are missing layers of skin off your left foot. I don't really blame the Artmore or her staff for the condition of my feet but had I had my own shoes instead of having to break in someone else's, I bet I wouldn't be hobbling around right now. There aren't many things besides businesses and clubs but everything is a hop on a bus away (like CVS for blister pads and painkillers) and if you are a guest, getting a X day MARTA pass covers both bus and rail so you really can get anywhere in the city.

0-3 stars for guest service: Giving me drink tickets to a bar you only open early when you are "full up" so as to liquor up the irritated people waiting for rooms doesn't change the fact that my first impression of your business was that you were run by people called Larry, Curly and Moe before I even set foot in Atlanta. I gave you a second chance and it did improve a bit. The breakfast we had there was nice and though the guest service folks who came around asking for room numbers seemed confused by the fact that my husband wasn't at the table when they took our room number and that a member of the bridal party was waiting on his room and didn't have a number... it all worked out in the end. I did kind of feel like a jerk when the couple who had gotten married the day prior hosted a brunch and the people who were eating "normal" breakfast weren't informed of this or ushered out so we were asked if we were "with them" and for our room number again before we realized what was going on and hurried out. Bonus points for having our housekeeper call us because the Privacy Please placard was on our door. During the daytime, you also had a valet/doorguy opening the door for the tired and weary guests and that was pretty awesome. I've yet to stay in a hotel (and I've stayed in some upscale chains) that do either of those things.

In conclusion, stay at the Artmore (if it isn't jam packed) and bring tennis shoes because skimmers and borrowed heels probably are not a good idea.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Stephyptk,
thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. It is quite detailed, and I am so sorry that you had a less than perfect stay with us. There is alot here to comment on, as you really did provide helpful and valuable information to help us improve. The bottom line here is that although you stayed with us over one of the busiest weekend of the year (DRAGONCON), service should be the same regardless. Please contact me so we can make this right.

Warm Regards,

Hazel Crest IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

Their motto is an understatement. I made the reservation for my daughter who went to Atlanta to celebrate her 23rd birthday and raved about her experience. She couldn't stop raving about everything!

She mentioned several times how helpful Scott was during her stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gmartmorehotel, General Manager at Artmore Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Thank you so much aspider42 for choosing the Artmore for your daughter's 23rd birthday, and taking the time to share such wonderful feedback! I am so glad that we met her expectations. I will be sure to share this with Scott, and the rest of our team. Thanks again, and please hurry back to the Artmore- birthday or no birthday!

Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I highly recommend the Artmore. It was clean and convenient to Midtown and the MARTA station. The staff was helpful and courteous.

Note there is a free shuttle from the MARTA station to the Altanic Station shopping area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Qualityhouse for staying with us, and for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy that you found us to be clean, and convenient. I am also very happy that you found our staff to be helpful. Please come back soon so you can experience all that we have to offer. Thanks again!

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

The Artmore was a very hip and clean hotel. The rooms are decorately very tastefully and are quite large. The bed was very comfortable too. It has a great little bar to grabs drinks before dinner or when you get back in. The location is very good as it is right in the middle of everything but did not appear to be in walking distance to most attractions but it was a short cab ride to the places we were going. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
gmartmorehotel, General Manager at Artmore Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
thanks you AnnLiz30 for staying at the Artmore, and taking time to write this review. I am glad that you had a good experience with us. Next time, try one of our signature dishes out of the bar, like our chicken salad, or brisket sliders! Thanks again, and we will see you soon!