“Good hotel, in need of some updates”

Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria
Ranked #71 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Overall experience was fine. Nothing super, nothing bad. Beds were quite comfortabe, rooms were small and had a lot of big furniture which made it feel smaller. Rooms were a little outdated, but not run down. Seemed to cater to business types. Concierge lounge was good, had lots of fresh fruit and very friendly staff. Hotel is in a good location, right off the highway but loads of noise from the highway could be heard in the rooms. The way the hotel is positioned, there really isnt a good side to the hotel to avoid highway noise. Large parking lot with free parking. The staff like I said before was super nice. A colleague's rental car was having problems and needing a jump start. The staff jumped the car for her. The next morning, it didnt start again but there were cars parked on each side. The hotel called her later that day to let her know when the cars moved so they could try jumping it again.
One downside to the hotel is that there really isn't a whole lot very close, though right up the road are some restaurants and a shopping center. They do have a bellman who will drive you around to a lot of restaurants as well (ask for a list at the front desk).

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank spacecase84
There are newer reviews for Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria

Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed here while I was in Atlanta for training. The room we were in was in need of a makeover, as it was quite aged. The size of our suite was pretty large, so there was plenty of room to move about. We did have an issue with the AC turning off in the middle of the night, which was a big issue for me because I cannot sleep in a warm room (it was in the upper 90's that week in Atlanta). We had multiple people try and fix the issue, and after the fourth attempt they were finally able to do so. The breakfast buffet, while pricey, was very good - especially the homemade waffles. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but would have enjoyed it more had the AC issue been fixed the first time around.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2011

He was very friendly and helpful when I checked in, I felt special and not just another customer unlike other hotels, I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ground level floors are cooler.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is a huge hotel 1 exit north on1-75 from the 285 perimeter road. Nice location for a car, free parking. Got a great rate on Priceline, which was worth it. Our room had a balcony overlooking the scenic parking lot and a partial pool view. Pool area seemed nice, but did not have time to use it.
The room was rather small. The interior decorator seemed to have a hard time making decisions - there were flower prints, plads, stripes, checks, etc. Bed was rather soft. In-room sales brochure offered to sell me the bedding, toiletries, etc and bathrobes. Would have been nice to get a bathrobe in the room. We felt like were were in the older wing of the hotel. Hallways were dumpy.

Staff was very nice at check in. For some reason we got free wireless. They only had 1 regular and 1 decaf coffee in the room. After I called down for some more at 9:30 at night, in less than 10 minutes someone arrived with a variety of coffee and condiments.

Overall a very reasonable and decent place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2011

As somebody who travels weekly as part of my job, and having been around the world a couple of times now, I have a pretty good opinion of hotels. I even worked at a Marriott in college.

that said, are we talking about the same hotel in these reviews?

The lobby gives you the impression that it's not so bad, and the parking outside is decent. I walked in expecting a decent hotel - until I saw the room. Now I really dont care about restaurants, a super luxurious lobby that I wont use for more than the time it takes to check in, or the other decorations a hotel has. It's about the room.

The rooms here smelled horrid. I thought "well, it happens, and some people stink, no big deal." I'm laid back, not picky, and again I can relate because I've worked at a hotel. Second room, same thing. NEVER IN MY LIFE have i asked twice, but I asked again. this room smelled like a cheap fruity body spray, which I gladly took after the last two. Maybe this happens, but the staff didnt seem to care at ALL, even though I was very polite in asking.

Now, the staff. they make the rooms look good. while checking in, it was cold, emotionless, ignored my gold/nearly platinum status, military/gov discount, AAA discount, and signed me in as a walk-in at a rate higher than if i were to stand there in front of them and check in on my phone. annoying.

checking out, after 3 nights, i was billed for 4. this was 3 weeks ago. I called Marriott, and they called the manager, and the manager with the last name Jenkins, stated it was a mistake and I'd get a refund. Ok, no big deal, again I can relate. Except for the fact it's been 3 weeks and I have no refund, and I'll instead be sending these emails to my credit card company to let them fight the good fight.

Room Tip: go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank sean b
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stayed in this hotel on a business trip and was surprised at how much this Marriott is in need of renovation. Although the common areas and restaurants are quite nice and the staff was quite helpful and polite, the rooms, hallways and elevators are really showing their age. The A/C in my room was both loud and smelled moldy. I finally just turned it off rather than listen to the noise. Once that noise was quieted, the loud roar outside of my room became the most predominant sound. It sounded like a train passing my window, but I believe it was the A/C plant for the rest of the hotel. The bathroom is quite small and also showing its age. When walking down the hallway to your room, it is obvious that the doors have been painted many times and they show the dents and dings of an old hotel. I will not stay here when I return to Atlanta.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Apparently recently renovated and almost every inch we saw was groomed, clean and fresh!

Popular hotel. We noticed 4 reunions this weekend including ours (Vietnam Dustoff Association).

Check-in was efficient and painless. Our room (#321) is small by American standards but fashionably decorated. Our king bed was a dream for me...too soft for my hubby with the bad back. Bathroom was very small - only one person can use it at a time - but water pressure and drainage were great; complimentary toiletries are rich and creamy with a pleasant scent. Thick towels. Flat screen tv. I did miss having a safe to store valuables however. Some of our comrades also missed having a fridge.

The grill/bar has a short but varied menu. Delicious cheeseburger, buttermilk-marinated fried chicken and shrimp pasta.

The outdoor pool is great but could use some umbrellas for escape from the sun. The indoor extention of the pool is steamy - prefer the outdoor section.

Every employee we encountered was pleasant, with a quick smile and a friendly "Hi!" all day long, everywhere in the hotel.

This Marriott is easy to access, right off the freeway. Close to Papasito's and Papadeaux's restaurants.

I would definitely stay here again should the occasion arise - the small, cozy rooms notwithstanding. A very pleasant, beautifully landscaped, clean, pretty hotel with friendly staff and good food. You can't go wrong!

• Stayed: August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center
Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Galleria
Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Galleria
Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta NW/Wildwood
Hyatt Place Atlanta/Cobb Galleria

Been to Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria? Share your experiences!