“Not the Shaun's of Meals Past” 2 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Inman Park
Georgia
“Not the Shaun's of Meals Past”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

Noticed there have been no recent reviews of Shaun's so let me fill in with memories of Shaun's when the reviews were written versus a current experience.

Had not been to Shaun's in a while and decided to have Sunday brunch with memories of a very good one quite a while back. Brunch this Sunday certainly replaces those memories.To set the stage - when we arrived at noon, Shaun's was not even one-quarter full. We ordered a rather straight forward burger and crabcake - 15 minutes later, nothing. 20 minutes later asked the waiter after finally getting his attention, who disinterestingly responded that he'd just reminded the not overwhlemed kitchen. About another 8 minutes and a ping pong ball (yes, one) otherwise known at a $16 crabcake surrounded by chopped cabbage (no attempt at making this $.10 worth of green anything else) arrived, shortly followed by a standard burger (also $16) and fries overshadowed by the size of the bun in relation to the burger. Upon questioning whether this was actually the brunch portion of the crabcake (maybe it was an appetizer gone astray) was informed we had been given 3 ounces of crab along with our 10 cents worth of pale cabbage, with some off white grainy mustard sauce to enliven our plate.

If this is what Shaun Doty is putting out, his reputation as one of the better chefs in the city is in serious jeopardy.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Atlanta, Georgia
“Not worth the hype!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

Our group of six arrived at Shaun's on 1/17/09 with high hopes and left feeling a bit disappointed. Our appetizer arrived, the sardinian flatbread, and it was decent. The portion size was large and good for sharing. My husband ordered the crab cakes based on the server's recommendation, and while they were delicious, they were small and not worth $32. His side item, the napa cabbage slaw, was underwhelming to say the least. I contacted Shaun's well in advance to request a vegetarian entrée for myself. My plan B was to order the eggplant ziti I saw online, but it was not an option on the in-house menu. When I inquired about my choices, the waitress said my meal was at the chef's discretion based on the side items available. I ended up with mashed potatoes, napa cabbage slaw (think mint-flavored raffia – yuck!), sauerkraut and a small piece of limp bok choy. With the exception of the "raffia," everything on my plate was a white-ish color; not very appetizing even under the dim lights in the dining room. The highlight of our meal was definitely the mint ice cream. Aside from the less than impressive food, the service was adequate and the dining room was cozy, just avoid the table against the floor-to-ceiling window during winter months. It was chilly!

I tend to avoid writing restaurant reviews based solely on my vegetarian meal, but in this case I think I can speak for my group when I say that all of us were disappointed. The veggie plate needs color…the crab cakes need more quantity, not quality…and the $16 hamburger my friend had was not worth the inflated price. If you have to check it out for yourself, order the pork schnitzel. It was the only entrée we felt was fairly priced based on quantity and quality. From what I've heard among the 30-something crowd, Shaun's is one of Atlanta's hot spots for foodies, but I have to disagree.

1 Thank ugaxena
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Loud and the namesake chef is rarely there. Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2008

Loud and the namesake chef is rarely there. Overrated

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Atlanta, GA
“I don't get it....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2008

I completely agree with the review on 10/6/08. We visited Shaun's this weekend for the first time and brought out-of-town company. After hearing all the hype on how wonderful Shaun's is - we were excited to try it. We knew within 5 minutes of sitting down at the bar for some pre-dinner cocktails and an appetizer of pimento cheese that we had made a mistake.

Our female bartender was just rude & cold to us. She acted as if she was doing us a huge favor by bringing us drinks. We ordered the pimento cheese appetizer & it came with 2 mini carrot sticks, 2 mini celery sticks & a few shavings of radish. We asked for some bread or something to use after using the vegetables were gone & 3/4 of the pimento cheese remained. We were given 4 mini slices of bread, no knife. The prosecco, lavender & lemon cocktail was flat & looked like dirty dishwater.

We were seated at a horrible table by the back door & asked to be moved since several tables were still open. We were moved - no problem there. Our waiter was fine, but service was uncomfortably slow. We are all for a leisurely-paced meal, but waiting 30 minutes for your 1st course is ridiculous. They also would not accomodate our request to taste a wine before ordering an entire bottle - something that is not an uncommon request for a nice restaurant.

We found the food to be incredibly average, but very pricey. We have no problem with having a pricey meal - as long as you get the whole package - great food, great atmosphere & fantastic service. This place is NOT it.

There are so many other wonderful restaurants in Atlanta where you can have a fantastic meal & great service. Don't buy into the hype on this place - next time, head for Rathbun's if you want the whole package!

1 Thank Travelfor2GA
Atlanta
“Completely Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2008

Besides being treated completely badly by the hostess and the bar tender the food was BLAND. I wouldn't say the food was bad, it just didn't have any flavor.

I'm very mad I wasted my time and money at this establishment!