“Blue Plate-Breakfast”

West Egg Cafe
Ranked #96 of 3,941 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Southern comfort in a modern world. An independent restaurant, bakery, and coffeehouse with a vintage design evocative of the Westside's historic industrial corridor, serving Chef Andrew Smith's breakfast all day, lunch, and weekend brunch, Pastry Chef Carrie Hudson's comfort sweets, and locally-roasted Batdorf & Bronson coffee. Host to fried chicken pop-up Oddbird, the second Wednesday of every month, 5:30-9pm.
Mobile, Alabama
“Blue Plate-Breakfast”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Awesome Meal! Skillet Potatoes are excellent and the Beverage Bar was a delight! I will definitely plan to go back to this cafe soon!

• Visited October 2013

“Excellent Service - Tasty Waldorf Chicken Salad”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Waldorf salad consists of apples, pecans, celery, red grapes, arugula. Very fresh tasting and well presented. Would have preferred a few more pecans and grapes, but overall very good. Check out the menu at westeggcafe.com. If you are a fan of breakfast, it is served until 5p every day. I went with a group of 15 from work and they handled us very well. They do not take reservations. We had to make special arrangements with the manager. Very accommodating. It's very popular so prepare for large crowds. I would love to go back with some other friends. Recommend.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Lookinthrualens
Wolcott, Connecticut
“Wish we had this place in Ct.. great breakfast”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Loved my breakfast here. Very creative menu. Fresh quality ingredients. Cafe Americana was awesome. Too bad I was on business. I almost want to fly in just to eat. Love the decor.

• Visited March 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Mmmmmm, just avoid wknd bfast time...”
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Looooooove West Egg. Don't love all the non-West Siders who come in in droves for weekend breakfast and brunch. I prefer to go for dinner, albeit eating breakfast as it is served all day, on weekdays. Very delicious. Uber-Southern and genuine. Cool aesthetic and rustic yet hipster chic atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
“Best bet for breakfast”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

For some it’s their quest to find a fine wine, for others it’s a perfectly aged steak or a decadent dessert. Not for this girl, I search the world near and far for great breakfast spots. When traveling, I like to get a well rounded breakfast, it’s one of the least expensive meals of the day and it fuels me through the day. Lunch is always the red headed step child, not worth going out of my way for or spending money on and Dinner can really range from a simple home cooked meal to a fine dining experience, but none the less NOTHING compares to breakfast.

When we arrived at West Egg in Atlanta, GA the line was about 10 names deep and the wait was scheduled to be about 45 mins, the menus and recommendations swayed us to stick it out. The decision was also made easier by West Egg’s set up with a bakery and coffee shop right up front. After grabbing a coffee and perusing the bakery case, the wait began. An hour later we finally got the call we had been waiting for all morning, we had a table! I know an hour sounds like a lot, but I can tell you that the food was well worth it. While the Wilted Spinach Salad and Black Bean Cake & Eggs both sounded mighty tasty, I had had my heart set on the Fried Green Tomato Wrap since the moment I first glanced at the menu. Fried green tomatoes, bacon, scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese accented with horseradish dill sauce and wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. Yum! It was served with garlic grits, which i honestly wasn’t a fan of but the wrap was a meal in itself so i wasn’t worried.

Driven Jess, my awesome ATL tour guide, made me more than a little food jealous with her pick of the Peachtree Plate. Two eggs, AMAZING brown sugar bacon, pimento cheese grits, fried green tomatoes and a biscuit. Now while I wasn’t a fan of my garlic grits (which could totally have something to do with growing up north of the Mason Dixon), Jess’s Pimento Cheese Grits were the bee’s knees! Creamy and cheesy with a tiny kick, they were delicious!

Driven Tia also chose wisely when she decided on the Fried Egg Sandwich. Maybe it’s just me because fried egg sandwiches are my staple quick dinner, but I totally skimmed over that selection on the menu. But when her plate came out, it looked crazy good. Two eggs over hard, cheddar cheese, bacon, field greens, red onion, mayonnaise, tomato jam on toasted challah. While there is no sharing with Tia, that sandwich was either so good she ate the whole thing or it grew legs and walked away while we weren’t looking, because it totally disappeared.

The service was also great on our visit, which is always hard to find at places that are slammed like that. So if you are in town, stop in and find your favorite menu item. Remind yourself that the wait it worth it, grab a Milky Way Latte and maybe even plan a road trip while you wait!

• Visited July 2013