“Great place within walking distance of many good spots” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Atlanta-Georgia Tech-Downtown

Hampton Inn Atlanta-Georgia Tech-Downtown
Ranked #39 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Greensboro, United States
“Great place within walking distance of many good spots”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

Me and a friend went to Atlanta to see the aquarium. I picked this hotel because it was very close to the aquarium. They also had a package deal with VIP tickets and free valet parking. The hotel also has a complimentary shuttle that will take you anywhere within two miles of the hotel (beer run what what??) Anyways, it is clean, quiet, and the staff is friendly. Norris at the front desk is a cool guy, and the valet (forgot his name :() was cool too. Within walking distance of many good restaurants and bars.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

1 Thank Christopher K
Michael B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Atlanta-Georgia Tech-Downtown, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Christopher K,
We sincerely appreciate you for the outstanding review of our Hotel. I’m glad to hear that you letting us know about the friendly guest service you received. We’re pleased to be your first stop every year when traveling south. I will make sure to let Norris know about his great performance. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Michael Beshah, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

The friendly staff really makes this Hampton a stand out. From the minute you drive up the parking attendants are fast, then the check in process was smooth and the housekeeping staff keeps the rooms very clean. If you're visiting the Georgia Tech campus, this hotel is convenient. They even have a free shuttle for locations within 3 miles of the hotel. We will definitely stay here again & highly recommend this Hampton.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank roxanneh700
Dear Roxanneh 700,

Thank you for the fantastic review of our Hampton Inn Atlanta-Georgia-Tech-Downtown. We value your feedback and appreciate your comments about your comfortable and relaxing stay at our convenient located Downtown property. Everyone at our hotel strives to make all guests feel welcome and at home during their stay. I will make sure to share your experience with our staff We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you’re visiting the Atlanta area.
Safe travels,

Gainesville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

This hotel was fantastic! The staff was VERY helpful and courteous. Rooms were clean and nicely designed. Bed was comfy and breakfast was fresh and delicious. We were only a 10-15 minute walk from Centennial Park and the shuttle will take you 2 miles away if needed. Will be back now that we have discovered how cool Atlanta is!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Kristen C
Dear Kristen C,
Thank you for the kind words and compliments regarding our Hampton Inn Atlanta-Georgia-Tech-Downtown Hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoy the friendly and helpful service our staff provides. I’m pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be clean, convenient, and safe. We hope to see you back at our Atlanta Georgia hotel soon.

Best wishes,
Southeast Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Anyone considering staying at this hotel need not worry! The staff is excellent-both courteous and helpful. Breakfast offers a wide selection. Valet and shuttle service was great as well! We had a great time in Atlanta and at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Susan H
Dear Susan H,

Thank you for the excellent review of our Atlanta-Georgia-Tech Hotel. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m also happy that you took advantage of our convenient courtesy shuttle during your stay. We appreciate you letting us know about your recent stay and the friendly customer service you received. We would love to welcome you back next time you need a hotel in Atlanta Georgia.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

This is almost the perfect hotel - if they did not have mandatory valet parking they would have scored a perfect score. I bypassed that ripoff by taking a taxi - it was less costly than renting a car then having to pay to park it there. You dont need a car as the shuttle is easy to use at the hotel but it wont go to the airport for some reason. I used to stay at some surrounding hotels but the gouges got out of hand so I tried this one and its the best I have found. Highly recommended and I will repeat.
They only have one of the 8 dreaded hotel ripoffs - and its only because they are downtown in an area with scarce parking so they have to dis-incentivize people to park there. What would be nice is if you are a guest you park for free if you want to park there to park there you pay. I am a guest at my moms house but she does not make me pay to park in her driveway. If a stranger wanted to she might charge them. The hotel is clean and quiet and everything you come to expect of a Hampton inn. Recommendation - guests park for free others pay... other than that perfect. So just to list them for you....

Here is my list of hotel fees that I hate -

Before there were airline fees the hotel industry wrote the book the airlines now use on extra gouge fees they could charge their customers for no good reason. Spirit Airlines was perhaps their best student. So on top of the room rate that is advertised, fees are added to get free money for nothing. Here is my list of hotel fees that many hotels will add to your bill. These fees are getting so out of hand that I would not be surprised if new consumer protection laws might be passed to protect unsuspecting customers This would be a good thing actually.

#1 Resort fees -
These fees used to be associated with large resorts with large golf courses, super fancy spas and even actual resorts – these fees have become very popular in Vegas, but now many regular hotels in other locations with no good reason to do so now charge a resort fee when no resort is in sight. All it takes is one place getting away with it and the word spreads like the plague. Resort fees can range from $15 to $75 a day. What is so irritating is that most of these crazy fees should be included into the price of the room so you know up front what the total nightly rate is. This is a simple way for many hotels to lower their regular rate to attract customers and they got you when you check-in. Usually you wont go through the hassle of moving at that point – plus there might be a fee for doing so… The Spirit Airlines school of rip off techniques applied to hotels or maybe Spirit learned it from them?

#2 Early check-in fee -

Let's say you take the early flight to Las Vegas and want to check into your room before 10am so you can head to your convention. Even if your room is empty from the night before some hotels will now charge you an extra $20 to check into your room before the standard 3pm check-in time. This fee appears to me as total greed and a huge rip-off. I was standing in line in Vegas once and at 2:50PM the lady at the desk was going to charge me an early check in fee – “the computer won’t let me” so I said lets just talk here for 10 min – she quickly waved it and found a way– I was serious. How stupid is that.

#3 Wi-Fi fee -

It amazes me that hotels still charge extra for Wi-Fi service in your room. Ironically these $15 to $25 a day fees are charged by the more expensive 4 and 5 star “full service” (whatever that means) hotels while the lower priced hotels provide this service for free. I find it really strange that a hotel who charges $250 a night room rate charges their customers for Wi-Fi while a hotel who charges only $89 a night will give it away for free. How does that make any sense? Oh and McDonalds and Starbucks give it away for free and your buying 5 bucks of product not 250 dollars! Get a clue hotel guys!

#4 Housekeeping fee -

How crazy can it get? Hotels are now charging you a 10% service fee to clean your room daily. Give me a break. This one does not pass the smell test of reasonableness. How can a hotel look their customers in the eye and charge this fee? Part of renting a room is the expectation that it is cleaned every day.

#5 Fitness fees -

Most hotels have workout centers and swimming pools for their guests. Many hotels also charge an arm and a leg to use them. I guess I don't mind this fee as long as it is optional to pay and use.

#6 Room service fees -

When you order room service today that $30 hamburger and $7 soda will also come with a nice 20% gratuity. Many travelers without looking at their bill to see that a service fee is already added to the bill will automatically add an additional tip on top of the total bill. You are in essence giving a tip on top of a tip. Maybe they are banking you won’t notice.

#7 Mandatory Valet parking -

Many hotels now assess mandatory valet parking if you arrive in your own car. This can range from $18 to $75 a day. I understand charging for valet parking if you choose to use Valet parking but to require it does not seem reasonable at all. This is a typical hotel technique of creating a problem (ie shortage of parking caused by them blocking off spaces with cones or parking systems or the like) then charging you a fee to circumvent the parking problem that they created in the first place.

#8 Additional person in the room fee -

Some hotels will charge you if you have more than two people in a room. I understand that a hotel would charge extra to add a roll-away in a room, but if four teenagers can sleep on two double beds I don't think the hotel should charge extra for that.

I am sure they will be coming up with more fees as time goes on – they may not be talented or service oriented but they are creative!

Room Tip: just about all of them seem good - I recommend a higher floor just because its in the hood.
3 Thank Kevin P
Dear Mr. Kevin P,

Thank you for reviewing our Hampton Inn Atlanta-Georgia-Tech-Downtown. We always like to receive feedback from our guests, as we continually strive to improve our service. It’s great to hear that you found our Hotel nice, clean, and safe. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best wishes,

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

Hampton Inn at Georgia Tech is not necessarily "wow", but it is a clean, safe, quiet place to stay. Counter staff are wonderful. Shuttle driver didn't seem to know his way around and left me waiting at the MARTA station so long I almost missed my speaking engagement. Other than that -- great!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Michael B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Atlanta-Georgia Tech-Downtown, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear allismith,

Thank you for reviewing our Hampton Inn Atlanta-Georgia-Tech-Downtown. It’s great to hear that you found our Hotel nice, clean, and safe. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your time with our courtesy shuttle. We hope to welcome you back soon.

culver city, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

typically excellent Hampton Inn with friendly and helpful staff who made it great. Convenient if going to Georgia Tech, not so convenient for downtown. Except there is a free shuttle and the drivers are awesome! Made a good stay a great and convenient stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Dear Megan T,

Thank you for your review of our Atlanta Georgia Hotel. I’m glad to hear that our property has been a great location for your visit at Georgia Tech. We appreciate you letting us know about your recent stay and the friendly customer service you received. We would love to welcome you back next time you need a hotel in Atlanta Georgia.

Warm regards,