“Great ATL hotel”

The Ellis Hotel
Ranked #46 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Very nice clean, modern hotel. Our stay was short, but our experience at the Ellis was great. The staff was quite nice and accommodating.

Thanks to Jeff for hanging around to return hubby's wallet and keys. Front desk called about an hour after we checked-out to let us know some important items were left behind. REALLY appreciate the prompt call. . . thankfully we were still in the city sightseeing, so we were able to pick them up before heading off to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,474)

Reviewed November 1, 2010

The Ellis Hotel in downtown Atlanta provides a great weekend get away! The hotel is a perfect mix of old and new...updated interiors with beautiful old exterior. The complimentary "Wine Down" hour is wonderful...with a balcony table for two overlooking Peachtree Street (across the street from the Ritz). The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The Marta (train)station is directly across the street..which will easily get you anywhere in greater Atlanta, including the airport.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I spent 5 nights at the Ellis Hotel and wish I could have stayed much longer. The entire staff was extremely friendly, helpful and demonstrated a strong commitment to their guests and the hotel. I have never seen a group of personnel working so well as a team with one goal in mind - taking care of their guests. The room was modern, extremely clean and very comfortable. The food at their bistro was exceptional - especially the flat iron steak. I rate this hotel as one of the best that I have ever stayed at for business or personal travel. Truly outstanding!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Before I start with the good stuff, let me warn you that their check-in is at 3PM. And when they say 3PM, it really is 3PM. They won't give you a room before that. I had to wait 3 hours before they allowed me to check-in.

I stayed at Room 606, with a view of the corner of Ellis & Peachtree. The nice thing about that is its a corner room, the bad is I can hear all the vehicles passing by, and the evening construction. Bummer.

You should try dining at their Terrace restaurant. The 2nd floor terrace view is beautiful and relaxing. I recommend anything in their menu. Salads are really good. For breakfast, go healthy, try their parfait. Oh its the best! Nothing compares! The silky smooth rich taste of their yogurt lingers in your tongue.

Overall service is good. It's always clean and always smells fresh.

The hotel is conveniently located at the heart of downtown ATL with the major attactions close by.

And since this is downtown Atlanta, security is of utmost importance. It's hard for a non-hotel guest to wander inside the hotel, believe me.

I would recommend this over the chain hotels nearby like Ritz, Hyatt, or Marriott.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Nice hotel in downtown Atlanta. Check in was simple enough and staff were helpful and polite. The room was nicely put together and the bathroom spacious. There seemed to often be a few disgruntled clients in the lobby, but I think this was people waiting on their cars from the valet.

Restaurant was nice and service was good. It was a nice place to stay at a reasonable price. The front desk staff were friendly, but at times appeared to be somewhat confused... You could say this is a good hotel, that almost has it together....

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I had a wonderful time at the Ellis!! From the time I got out of the car to the time I left. The service was absolutely superb. The bellman Calvin was wonderful and extremely helpful, which started my visit with a plus. I then went to the front desk to smiling faces and eager to please associates.
The room was very clean and quiet, the bed was beyond comfortable. But the best part of our stay would have to be the restaurant. The food was excellent but the service was phenominal!!!!!!!!!! Our waiter Darrell was comical, helpful, on top of things, very accomodating. He was the topping on the cake to a wonderful trip.
If you want a perfect weekend the Ellis is the place to go!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I booked the Ellis Hotel to celebrate my 31st birthday. I had two of my best friends as my companions and we were looking forward to a fantastic weekend. Initially, the Ellis Hotel lived up to my expectations. It was located in downtown Atlanta, next to a myriad of shops and restaurants. I was impressed by the lobby-very chic and modern. I then walked to the front desk to get my room key. The front desk staff was nothing like I would expect for such a 4 star hotel. The staff was very young and loud. It took a few tries to convey the message that I needed to check in and would require 3 keys. However, I was still excited so I decided to brush that off to youthful inexperience.

We checked into our room-the 9th floor. I found the views to be disappointing-we were surrounded by brick buildings and had to lower the shades to ensure privacy. The room was a bit smaller than expected (I had a junior suite) but it was pristine and up to date. Nice large bathroom. The beds were soft and comfortable. That is my last good memory...My stay went horribly downhill oh so quickly.

The room:
The air conditioning unit was off upon our arrival and the electronic control was not working. We called the maintenance person-who arrived promptly-and he had it up and running in no time. The issue is from then on, it would not turn off, no matter what we tried. After two day of a constant 64 degrees and 3 other visits from maintenance-all incompetent-we just gave up and learned to were our jackets and robes at all times in the room.

Room Service:
The day after check-in, room service arrived at 8 am. Since we were exhausted, we asked her to return later. We left our room at 11 am and talked to the front desk. They assured us that they would call room service to clean ASAP. We returned around 5 pm, the room in the same exact state it was in...nothing was cleaned or moved. We called the front desk-their response was the hotel was booked and housekeeping had a hard time getting to each room. She finally arrived around 6pm-not sure why she bothered. She never entered the room. She knocked at the door, when we opened the door, she stood at the threshold and asked "do you need anything?" I guess she decided to overlook the unmade beds and overflowing trash can (only one tiny one was available). When we asked her to throw out the trash, she responded "Uh...let me come back...I need to get my supplies..." It took her 15 minutes to return with one trash bag. After emptying the can, she started to leave, and then asked...almost as an afterthought "...would you like clean towels..." Nooo....why would guests ever want clean towels??? Perish the thought. Let’s just say I was less than impressed.

Valet:
How do I describe the level of their incompetence??? Let's just say, dropping off the car was fine, getting it back was the challenge. The first night out, we waited-in heels and dresses-about 20-30 minutes for the car. Annoying since we had dinner reservations (and we called for our car in advance...). The next night, we decided to avoid the headache by handing the valet our car key and told him to leave it on the curb. We were happy to see the car still waiting for us that evening...the problem was the valet was nowhere to be found. It took about 30-45 minutes this time to locate the valet-this is with the management trying to walkie talkie him the whole time. After waiting, pissed as all holy hell, patience wearing thin, and here he is, strolling down the street nonchalantly. He handed us the keys with no apology or excuse. Ridiculous.

Front desk:
I have very few words for these people. My brief synopsis: Rude, uninformed, poorly trained, and wholly unequipped to help anyone for any reason. They made sure to say "of course we can help" with all of our requests but went on to fully disappoint at each given chance.

Overall, I had a horrible time in the hotel. It was so bad that the manager offered a discount on our stay (thank you for that).

Afterwards:
And to add insult to injury, I forgot my dress in the room. It seemed like a simple task to retrieve it. However it took about 3 days to get the right person on the phone, and a week for someone to address the matter.

Yet, I must say, to the lovely lady who finally helped me after a week of distress...Thank you. My dress arrived intact as promised.

I am sad to say that I have decided to leave out a lot of other bad experiences that occurred during my stay because the more I type, the higher my blood pressure....

And to end this, I do not think it was all in my mind. I decided to write the reviews, because I knew I would be kinder than my two companions. I am well traveled-I check into hotels about 1-2 times a month for pleasure and business and this by far has been the worst experience. Stellar hotel...just fire everyone there and hire professionals this time.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank fanfanfr
tlyon-mercado, General Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2010

I appreciate your candor with regard to your stay. I can only imagine your disappointment since you chose us as your celebration location and we only created poor experiences that are now memories. I truly apologize for all of your poor service experiences.

Please know that we share all of our reviews, positive and negative with our entire staff. Your comments will be addressed with every member of staff we can specifically identify, and read to each department in our regular meetings. We do not take these reviews lightly and I assure that I will personally address your feedback with each department manager and require their appropriate follow up.

Again, I truly apologize and hope that sometime in the future you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your experiences.

Stacy Thaler Martin