The Ellis Hotel
$184
  • Room Service
$127
1,529 results
All reviewsboutique hotelfront deskgreat boutiquesmall hotelpeachtree streetstreet noiseheart of downtownchain hotelsmarta stationwithin walking distancecorner roomvalet serviceroom servicevalet parkingbusiness tripworld of coca colakey card
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I spent 4 nights at the Ellis for a conference in downtown Atlanta. This is a cute boutique hotel, and since the large chain hotels look like train stations during a typical conference I was happy to have this as a refuge. The hotel was very modern and I was happy with the room (size, furnishings, TV etc). One huge highlight for me was the friendly staff, who really went out of their way to be friendly and satisfy any requests promptly. I ate a couple of times at the restaurant and found the food and service excellent - it is definitely an upscale restaurant so don't expect low prices and huge portions (order the trout - it's amazing). The biggest downside: the room was extremely noisy both from the Peachtree Street noise and from other guests moving around in the hallways.

Best parts:
Free wireless

Worst parts:
Very noisy room
No fridge/mini-bar in room
Shower leaked all over bathroom floor

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2010

This was a great hotel, but I can't give it five stars due to the issues mentioned in the previous post related to the hot water; specifically, there wasn't any in the morning. This was sort of a problem considering I was there for an important professional conference. I didn't bother to complain about it because I was pretty sure that other people were doing it for me, so what's the point in ruining someone's morning over something they can't seem to fix?

I would knock the hotel more because of this problem, but I had friends staying at both the Sheraton and the Hyatt who had similar water problems, so I don't know how much control the Ellis had about this problem. Plus, I got this hotel at a conference rate which was roughly half the list price. I'm not sure this is a $200 hotel, but then again I'm not sure what would be a $200 hotel in Atlanta. Perhaps the Ritz.

The perks: free internet (don't sleep on how nice this is for a business conference), a really nice, simple restaurant with excellent breakfast, wine tasting, an espresso bar, and very nice, comfortable beds. The TV is fine, the minibar is rather reasonable for a hotel in its class, and I thought the room was nice. It's a small room and I think it's best suited for a single business traveler, not multiple travelers.

Perhaps the best feature of this hotel is its size. It's very small compared to other hotels in Atlanta. This is nice for elevators, quietness, and other amenities important to business travelers. This also means that the hotel staff is not too busy to attend to traveler concerns.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2010

This hotel was really nice. It's newly remodeled and very trendy looking. I stayed here on business in both November and December 2009. From the moment you walk in the door the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. They had free wine tasting every day from 5:30 - 6:30 which I utilized almost every day I was there. The restaurant has a lot of organic dishes which I really liked. The rooms are nice. The only problem was the furnace. When its on it blast super loud non-stop and when you turn it off the room gets cold. If I ever return to Atlanta I would definately stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2010

My friends and I stayed at The Ellis on 12-31-09. Upon arrival at the
hotel we were all very impressed. The doorman/valet immediately
greeted us. The check-in process was quick and everyone was very
friendly. After helping us to our rooms, we went to the bar area.
Again, everyone was very helpful and the atmosphere was great. We left
the hotel for a few hours and upon returning we went to the lounge to
eat. We ordered two of the New Year's Eve specials. We had a total of
4 different servers and it took over 45 minutes to get our food. We
never had any explanation of the wait and we were the only ones in the
lounge. Since this was the advertised special, it would seem like
there would have been plenty made in advance. Also, we had to send a
sprite back because the glass was dirty and there was stuff floating
in it. The next morning when we got up to shower, there was no hot
water. After speaking with our friends in another room, we realized it
wasn't just our room. We called the desk and they took our room
number. No one ever came to our room or called back. Since check-out
time was approaching we washed in cold water in the sink. Our friends
had someone come to their room and he checked the water temperature.
Again, no explanations were made. Another call was made to the front
desk where we were told that they were waiting on management. At this
time, the front desk worker told our friend that "maybe he should try
to fix it if he could do better". While waiting on the elevator we
talked to several people who had the same experience and several who
also said they didn't have heat in their room. A worker who was also
waiting on the elevator overheard our conversation and said that they
had told the management that they didn't have hot water in the kitchen
for many days and was told it was just a kitchen problem. This may
explain the dirty glass. Upon check-out we were offered nothing and
wished a Happy New Year. Overall this hotel is beautiful and has
extremely hospitable people working in it. If the hot water problem
had been a new issue and had been addressed instead of acting like
nothing was wrong, it would be understandable. We all got the feeling
like it was an on-going problem and to just get us all out of the way
as quickly as possible. For a hotel of this rating, I expected better
service.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
tlyon-mercado, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2010

Good Morning - I have contacted you direct to discuss the circumstances during your stay on 12/31/09. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed December 29, 2009

As a business traveler, I really appreciate a hotel that provides value through quality, comfort and excellent customer service. I appreciate the friendly staff, comfortable room, excellent food and complimentary business center. The complimentary wine tasting is a nice treat at the end of a busy day. And, they also offer a floor exclusively for women travelers with optional "mommy cams" to stay in contact with home.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business