“Nothing impressive - not recommending”
Review of The Ellis Hotel

The Ellis Hotel
Ranked #44 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 15, 2009

This was the first trip and first impression of Atlanta and it was disappointing. The Lobby was absolutely beautiful and elegant so we had high expectations of our room and when we got to it we were mistakenly disappointed. The so called "Suit" was not vacuumed, there was no microwave, nor did the air conditioner work well at all. Our view out the window was a brick wall. The desk staff was undermanned and hard to check-in, but they were very professional about what they had to do. They did not know too much about the local area and that was frustrating as well. There are many other choices right around the same area that were in much better condition and were more pleasant. Avoid this one if possible.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank asbs
Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed June 15, 2009

I never write reviews...but The Ellis was awesome. I booked it for $111 per night direct from the hotel website, an awesome price for downtown. The rooms are stylish and the beds were amazing and had 6 quality pillows on each. The location is great. Each person I encountered from the staff from the front desk, to the bartender, to the service and cleaning staff spoke directly to me and were all super friendly. My friend and I decided to walk to a 24 hour diner down the street at about 1 a.m. The security gard was outside the front door and offered to walk us there. He assured us it was not un-safe, but why take a chance. He left us the number to the hotel and told us to call when we were finished eating if we wanted him to come and escort us back. The outdoor terrace is really cute and nice for relaxing with a drink and people watching.

Reviewed June 13, 2009

We stayed this June at the Ellis, and by arrival we enjoyed a very warm welcome. The Check in was very smooth and did not take any time at all, by the time I check in our Suitcases were loaded up and on their way to the Room. I have to admit the room was small, but in a city like Atlanta who stays in his room all day. There is so much to see and do that the only time you should be able to see your Room is when you go back and sleep.
Otherwise, the only downside of the Hotel and we tried it just ones was there in house Restaurant. I recommend staying away from it, unless you are a fan to look for your meal with a Microscope. The Servings are small but very pricy, and not the best either. Do yourself a favor, there is Hard Rock Coffee, a Mexican & Brazilian Restaurant just across and of course a Hooters just 5 min. walk away from the Hotel…and as we all know…the Atmosphere at Hard Rock is phenomenal and you are not going back to the hotel hungry….
In all I give this Hotel…a 9 out of 10. Cleanliness, Friendliness & helpfulness of the Staff working here are by far above exceptional. Just stay away from the Restaurant…unless you are a gourmet and like small portions for a big price.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2009

It was just okay, but not what I expected. It's a small hotel, with small rooms. The candlelit stairs at night was nice and the restaurant was okay, but make sure that you don't pay more than the online discount rate because anything more is a rip off. I only stayed one night and changed hotels for the next two nights.

There's lots of hotels on Peachtree to choose from so choose wisely.

I think they are ranked number 2 on TripAdv for Atlanta because they are writing their own reviews.

My two cents.

1  Thank TJuice
Reviewed June 11, 2009

We just stayed one night. Wish we would have had more time. The hotel was lovely and with in walking distance of Hard Rock and Hooters (less than a half a block or so). We also walked the .5 miles to the Aquarium and World of Coke. On our way were were able to pass thru Centinal Park. So I thought the location was pretty awesome. The hotel was modern and beautiful. Nicely decorated and comfortable. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank allimax
Reviewed June 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed there three nights. The hotel staff was a breath of fresh air, from the bellmen to the chef. The rooms were clean, fresh and turn down service each night. I can't explain how fabulous the food was, except that you need to try everything on the menu at least once LOL. Especially the Amish Chicken! The Ellis really made our trip worthwhile. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2009

My girlfriend and I decided to come to Atlanta for a quick one night stay to take in the sights as we drove to see her family. Having been to Atlanta before I knew I wanted to stay on Peachtree, but was unsure if it would be budget friendly. Luckily, I found the Elllis. When I saw the price I was unsure if it was a] located farther down peachtree than where I wanted or b] a dump with a good location. Located across the street from the Ritz Carlton Atlanta and a block from the Westin, you could not have asked for a better location. Once I found out that the location was great I was very worried that we would arrive and it would have some flaws. There were none. We were greeted immediately, more like the staff wanted to speak to us rather than they felt as if it was their job. We were led up to our room, which was great. I had read some reviews that it was small but was pleasantly surprised to find a rather large room. The shower was amazing. We only stayed for one night but I wish we could have stayed longer. The overall boutique theme of the hotel was pulled of nicely as the furniture was very modern and classy. If you are a traveler looking for a great place on a relatively low budget this is perfect for you. If you are a traveler looking for a great place on a relatively high budget, save your money, this is perfect for you.