“Nice Stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Staff is great and professional. I live in the Atlanta suburbs but needed to stay in town for a conference and this location worked fine. Room service was fast and friendly and the ffod was very good. Great rate online. Room is a bit tight but upscale in all the right places.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Finnish first
Alabama
Reviewed September 1, 2008

The hotel was very modern and well appointed. My husband were in town to see a show at the Fox Theatre and we were very pleased with the proximity to local venues. However, unloading/loading was a nightmare. We parked in a nearby public deck and walked a block to the hotel which was acceptable as the weather was quite pleasant. In the instance the weather is questionable plan to pay the $20/day for valet.

The reastaraunt was quite a contrast to the hotel and rooms. The food and drinks were both horrible. The staff lacked common courtesy and there was breaking dishes and arguing coming from the kitchen implying havoc. The restaraunt manager made a concious effort to be as accomodating as possible considering the circumstances.

We would stay in the hotel again but are apprehensive about eating in the restaruant considering the many fine restaraunts in the city.

• Liked — The rooms was very,very nice!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
atlanta
Reviewed August 21, 2008

I live in Atlanta Ga, and know the downtown area and this hotel very well. The Ellis hotel is in a historic building, therefore the rooms are smaller than a new construction hotel rooms. Also, considering this hotel is in Downtown Atlanta, as with many other cities parking in downtown can be an issue.
Just wanted to let readers know this is a lovely hotel.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
roswell, ga
Reviewed August 13, 2008

Overall very nice. We didn't use many of the hotel's features, but will next time we stay - the restaurant, fitness center seem quite promising. We loved its proximity to the MARTA and to many downtown Atlanta attractions. The service was excellent, the room and bathroom pleasant. We liked the email and phone confirmation of our upcoming stay.

Stayed August 2008
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 9, 2008

My best friend and I stayed at the Ellis Hotel from July 25th-July 30th. Our main reason for visiting Atlanta (our first time) was to go to the Drum Corp International (DCI) Southeastern Championship. We did do a lot of sightseeing.

We arrived to our hotel quite early. We were hoping that we could check in early but our room was not ready. The staff at the front desk was very apologetic and suggested for us to come back in a few hours and in the meantime they would be more than happy to store our luggages in a locked room.

We did come back within a few hours after doing some sightseeing and the room was ready for us. The employee asked us if we would be interested in being placed on a "Girls Only Floor," and this would give us special amenities. We thought it would be nice and we took the offer.

The key card which gives you access to the rooms, also needs to be used to access the elevators. This is a good thing if you don't have to be fidgeting trying to find the key on your person. It does give you a sense of security.

When we went to our room, we did a complete inspection. The room was not small but it was good enough for both of us. We had a king size bed, which was very comfortable. The bathroom was big enough and had many amenities from "Bath & Body Works," since the floor is catered to women only. There is plenty of closet space and in it you will find an iron w/ the ironing board. The hotel does provide bathrobes & slippers during your stay which is a nice touch. The slippers you can keep.

The room has a flat screen TV which is nice. There is a coffee maker with caffeinated/decaffeinated coffee, tea and the necessary condiments, free of charge. They do have next to the television a tray w/ some goodies but you have to pay for them and they are expensive. There is a CVS within a couple of blocks and one can get goodies at a much cheaper price. The bad part is that there is no refrigerator.

The hotel in our opinion is beautiful. It’s on a great location. The nearest subway station called "Peachtree" is within a few feet from the hotel which is awesome. We took the train from the airport to the hotel and vice versa which is cheaper than paying for taxis. We bought the 7 day unlimited pass for the bus/train at the airport for $18 and it was worth it.

As for places to eat, there is a "Hard Rock Cafe," "Hooters," & "McDonalds," within walking distance. There are small cafes around the area as well. There are some more upscale restaurants around the area but we were on a budget. In the CNN building there is a food court and they seem to be open pass 7pm. There is a Mexican restaurant there as well and they close on weekdays at 10pm.

This area is in the Downtown area and there are not that many places to eat that are open late at night and this is a problem on Sundays. One can take the train and get off at Buckhead which has an Entertainment/Nightlife area but we didn't get to go there.

Overall, we loved the service provided by the staff in this hotel. I had to call two times for housekeeping services. One time I called because I needed a bathrobe & slippers for my friend. The second time we needed extra coffee & the plastic bag for the ice bucket and it was brought to our room immediately. After all the items were brought to our room, we received a call to confirm that we received everything.

The attention provided by all staff in this hotel was exceptional. I would recommend this hotel to anybody.

We bought the City Pass for $69 which gives you access to 6 tourist attractions. We went to the CNN tour, Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca Cola, Zoo Atlanta, Fernbank Museum of Natural History and the High Arts Museum. All attractions are wonderful. The city pass saves you $40 each.

I strongly recommend visiting the Martin Luther King Jr Historical Site which is free. One can see the house where he was raised, the church where he preached with his father, where he is buried along with his wife. There is a free tour of his birth home but one has to sign up at the visitors center and it is based on a first come, first serve basis. They only accept 15 people per tour. The tours start every half hour starting at 10am and the last tour is at 5:30pm. You have to get there early because it gets booked early in the day. There is a visitor's center where one can see many exhibitions and videos about Dr. King. It is very touching and inspiring.

My best friend and I had a wonderful time in Atlanta, Georgia and the stay at the Ellis Hotel made it even more enjoyable.

• Liked — I liked everything.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Valdosta, GA
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I stayed at the Ellis Hotel during a trip to see The Color Purple at the Fox Theatre. The staff was friendly and very polite. The food at the Ellis Grille at the hotel was good. I really loved their chocolate chip pancakes.

I liked the decor of this hotel. We had a junior suite. I liked the way the room was layed out. The beds were great, very comfortable. The sofa was comfortable. I loved the flat screen TV.

However, I have one major complaint - the bathroom. When I washed my hands I noticed that there was hair on the towels. I called housekeeping, and they very promptly brought some fresh towels. Later, I noticed that there was hair in the bathtub. This is absolutely ridiculous.

This is a nice hotel. It is a shame that their lazy housekeepers are making this hotel look bad.

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Disliked — nasty bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I only stayed at the Ellis for a night while on a business trip to Atlanta so my review may be a bit short due to my limited interaction with the hotel staff.

Pros: Great Location right across from the Ritz-Carlton and a block away from the Westin. From what I understand they reopened/remodeled the hotel recently so everything is brand new. HD TV's in each room and overall sheik style of the rooms. Another plus is that it is very reasonably priced for a downtown location (but I got a corporate rate, not sure about regular rates). Places around to eat, restaurant & bar on premises. (Did not try)

Cons: Shower only, although it was a great shower with good water pressure, I prefer a bath. The reason for the shower only is because the rooms are fairly small. Fits one person comfortably but anymore than that I can imagine it getting tight to move around.

Overall I would stay at the Ellis again for a short stay. I would not want to spend and extended amount of time there. Perfect for a business traveler who need to be in that area of Atlanta for a night or two.

• Liked — Good Location - Everything New
  • Disliked — No bath, fairly small room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business